Wednesday, October 7, 2020

It Looks Like I Am Going to be Forced to Meal Plan

 Okay, maybe it is only lunch plan. Twice this week, Tommy has said when presented with lunch options, "Oh, good, something different."

He fended for himself all the time before I arrived. Often as not, he went out to get a hamburger. So, I think he is feeling like he has few choices. Remember, I have said he eagerly agrees to go out and get a burger, and he agrees to a burger when I feel he needs food. 

Yesterday, I gave him a can of vegetarian soup, and he was thrilled. Since he does not need Campbell's soup every day, I talked to him about a plan to keep variety in his lunches. When I was finished, I asked him what else would be good. "Maybe more chicken." So, he wants chicken sandwiches. That can be done easily. 

I am going to roast chicken, probably thighs and legs, and let him take it off the bone. It will be in a bowl with a snap lid and he can help himself for lunch. He seems to like this idea. 

Really, I hate to see him wanting food and eating something he does not want all the time. But, until things change in his ability to get to the refrigerator, I won't be making lunch regularly for him. I do make the grilled cheese for him, but he does not know how to cook. 

I know I know--grilled cheese is not cooking. 

Lunches:

peanut butter sandwich, fruit

can of soup (low sodium), fruit

chicken (two lunches), fruit

cheese and bread, and fruit (maybe it will be grilled)

eat out

leftovers, fruit

We have plenty of fruit, so he has agreed to keep eating fruit when it is fresh. I told him where in the cabinet that I put canned fruit for him. But, as long as we have fresh fruit, we both agreed we would eat fresh. I do love a bowl of pineapple with Miracle Whip mixed in. Lettuce is good with MW and pineapple.

What am I planning for lunch for me? I will have grilled cheese when I make one for him. I am content to eat the same thing every day for lunch. I will keep more chicken for grazing. I just pull off a piece and nibble on it. 

Meal Planning for main meals is still not possible for me...lol. We could have more leftovers for lunch, but we will see what makes him happy.

He has NOT complained, just become so happy and exclaimed, "Something different" like when I offered him soup. 

This is still not really "meal planning" but just what  is necessary.

Do you have to plan for lunch  other than leftovers or simple sandwich?

18 comments:

  1. I definitely do meal planning. Mostly I buy meat and other food on sale so I have to plan around what is purchased. Sometimes I plan for a day ahead, other times for a week ahead. It depends on my energy. I believe I already mentioned I don't make ahead or plan ahead too far due to lack of freezer space. Otherwise I might prepare one weekend for an entire month ahead. Some people do not like freezer meals but I think having them is good so one doesn't have to cook every day. Then when you want to have something 'fresh' you can cook on that day. I don't understand why Tommy cannot get to the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never said he could not get to the refrigerator! I said I would put cooked chicken in there for him. Plus, he can get fruit from refrigerator and does. And, I am only talking about lunch. He is not tired of milk and cereal for breakfast. He gets the milk by himself. And, I always have dinner ready.

      Delete
    2. Okay I misunderstood you but please explain what you mean by this sentence "But, until things change in his ability to get to the refrigerator..."? I know he can drive and seems to help around the kitchen but this statement threw me.

      Delete
    3. "But, until things change in his ability to get to the refrigerator, I won't be making lunch regularly for him."

      His ability now is fine. "So, until things change in his ability to get to refrigerator..." So, he has the ability now and until that changes, he can get his own lunch.

      Delete
    4. Oh I get you now. Sometimes the simple things are hard to understand, lol.

      Delete
    5. Joyful,
      I was hoping you would get it sooner or later...lol.

      Delete
  2. Nope. My dh has wanted only a ham, turkey and cheese sandwich every day for the last 35 years. Lol. I do have to meal plan dinners as he likes variety then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Wow! Tommy would like that but would get bored. I could eat the same thing for lunch every day, too. Turkey and cheese with MW and some lettuce would work for me! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I never plan lunch, it plans itself. Whatever is left over from dinner becomes lunch__usually eaten cold straight from the fridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That works for me! He won't eat anything cold. He will even microwave tomatoes and slaw if the meat on the plate is not piping hot. Usually leftovers are for dinner that night. At my house, I would open the container of cooked chicken and pull off a piece, grab cheese, and eat a few grapes or something. lol...I was eating dinner from a bowl before it was popular.

      Delete
  4. I just had Hubby buy lunchmeat for lunchmeat wraps (he doesn't like sandwiches much). I told him to fix them himself. I usually eat cottage cheese (out of right now) beets and applesauce for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I would buy lunchmeat, which we both love, but I think it has too much sodium. I could eat cottage cheese and applesauce!

      Delete
  5. My husband would happily eat a ham and cheese sandwich everyday for lunch but I like a bit more variety. We often have leftovers, soup, chef salads...., for lunch and we don’t always both eat the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      Tommy would eat ham everyday, too. We hardly ever eat the same thing for lunch.

      Delete
  6. Something about hamburgers is deeply embedded in the male psyche. My husband would eat one everyday. And when we go to a sit down restaurant, he orders a hamburger. I worried over his diet for years, but he's 78 and I have (pretty much) given up trying to change it.

    At our house we are each responsible for our own lunch. Dinner is a collective affair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Tommy would like a hamburger for lunch...lol. We are ready for lunch at different times and want different things, so I think it should be our own responsibility.

      Delete
  7. I meal plan our dinners & we eat the leftovers for lunch. I also do freezer cooking like pot pies, mini quiche & fajita chicken, so we have alternatives if we don't feel like eating leftovers for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms Goose,
    I want leftovers for the next dinner! I am really too tired to do freezer cooking but that is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...