Thursday, October 29, 2020

ZETA and Candy

 The forecast left me nervous. The weather forecasters predicted massive power outages in our area. The prediction was that it would be so massive we could lose power for days while workers restored power. That worried me when thinking about the freezer full of food, the refrigerator with milk, and the freezer over the refrigerator with frozen milk and meat. 

My plan--never open refrigerator or freezer. I was afraid Tommy would want to reach in and get his milk and reach back in and put it away. I can control me, but was afraid he would not cooperate. I told him if we needed milk, we could go buy some! He looked miserable. I am sure he did not want to spend money on milk if we had five gallons in the house. 

Luckily, for us the wind was never more than a stiff breeze. And, the rain was minimal. I know that others have lost electricity. And, I hate they have losses. Now, with the news on, it appears other areas close by were heavily damaged with trees down and power loss. Okay, maybe 500K people in AL are without power. , . just not us at the moment. 

At home, I had several ways to cook or heat food without electricity. Here, we have none. I had a gas grill, and  a few little one-time-use "grills," plus, I know how to make a fire and not burn the neighborhood down. 

While wondering aloud what we would do if we had no electricity, what to occupy ourselves, he had one idea. Since no windows or curtains are to be opened, it would be dark in here, too dark to read. He said we could just get in the car and drive around. There has to be a plan for 12 hours, at least! He has no board games, and it would be too dark in here to play cards or games. I decided I would go sit in my car and read. There would be light and the driver's seat is supremely comfortable. 

Well, no problems, just a little worry about what would happen. 

At home and before a storm, I made sure all the dishes were washed and all laundry washed and dried and put away. I would remove, fold, or turn lawn furniture over and drag it next to the rock wall. I pulled the trash can into a corner. All flashlights were checked and batteries in my boom box. I had a few of the flashlights to plug into outlets. The light would come on if electricity were lost. 

Here, we have two or three of the little $1 flashlights I bought after moving here. I bought a cheap headlamp that he really likes...lol. The news has shown me places nearby that are a mess with trees down and lines twisted.

On to a sweeter subject--candy. In this bag are three similar minis--Three Musketeers, Milky Way, and Snickers. Oh, there is Milky Way Midnight. As much as I like dark chocolate, I really dislike the Midnight! I know that one of the three has crunched up nuts and I do not like it. However, I can never remember which I don't like. Now, I know. I don't like Snickers. Well, I will eat it, but there is no joy in eating Snickers. Three Musketeers is what I like. I never knew that. 

I usually only eat chocolate where chocolate is the major, if not only, part, no caramel or such. 

Were you affected by Zeta? Which of those candies do you like? Yes, I know it is not highbrow candy. Play with these candies.


20 comments:

  1. I'm glad the hurricane missed you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAL,
      If you asked people 20 miles from here, they did get quite a bit of damage, so may not agree. I was pleased that the only "damage" was two ghosts blown off the tree. Tommy is out now putting two up for the second time today as it is very windy.

      Delete
  2. I don't think it has been Zeta rain affecting us in St. Louis, but it has been raining quite a bit around here. Having your lighting for a storm is a good idea. I need to get on that around here. I don't like burning candles, so I need to get batteries for my fake candles. I've been thinking about getting some strings of battery powered fairy lights, too, or solar power would be even better. I can't usually concentrate well enough to read when the electric is off. In my dream life, I would have a natural gas fireplace to keep it warm in here if the electric is off in winter, but somehow in more than 40 years of living here we never made that happen, so it doesn't seem like it's too likely to happen anytime too soon. We have had such bad ice storms here in the winter that really are awful when it is 0 degrees with no electric to light our gas furnace. One time, in 10 degree weather our electric was off for four days because of an ice storm. At that time our daughter and son in law lived close enough that we could stay with them..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I have never had anyone to go stay with. The longest the electricity was off, a whole week, during the Blizzard of 93, I was the only one of my circle who had heat and light.

      Just now, we came back from shopping. I got more batteries, but could not find solar lawn lights. Fairy lights are a good idea, too. I don't like burning candles either. Tommy has some he sticks onto a saucer and burns. So, I bought tealights so we can just put one in sink in kitchen and one in bathroom for a bit of light. I will get the tealights that are electric, too.

      Delete
  3. Glad you dodged a bullet this time. Let this be a wake up call to have a PLAN IN PLACE in case you are not so lucky the next time. Having lived on the Texas Gulf Coast for most of my life I have gone through several hurricanes so I know all too well of what I speak. At least with all of the non-perishable food items you have hoarded you shouldn't have to worry about starving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it missed you. It was really bad here for about 4 hours. I still have power but there are only about 5 homes in my neighborhood who still have it. We planned on takeout tonight and drove around a bit. I would guess about 80 percent of the homes we passed had no power and every drive through was packed with folks grabbing something to eat. So you are right. I am about 20 miles away and it looks kind of like a war zone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I wondered about you. At 3 am, I went to bed and did not sleep until 4:30, so was pretty secure that it missed us and awoke to find a pretty day. I am glad you and your house are unscathed.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you came through it unscathed. I sat through one hurricane in Florida years ago and it was pretty scary. I can't imagine having to live through them every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Me too! I cannot imagine staying after the first hurricane. I would have to move.

      Delete
  6. My daughter in Atlanta is without power. She just sent me a text that said they're saying not restored until the first- they are not well prepared since they just moved there in August. I can see them trying to find a hotel or Airbnb with it! As for candy, we are total opposites- my favorite candy is Snickers and even as a kid, I'd give away the Three Musketeers.I also like Almond Joys and I'm going to try to make some Almond joy bars for Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I hope your daughter finds something with power soon. And, I love Mounds! My best friend in hs love Almond Joy, too.

      Delete
  7. Thankfully you did not lose power. Maybe you should buy some battery or solar operated lanterns and one or two board games just to have on hand, in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I do have battery powered lights and he won't play board games.

      Delete
  8. "There is no joy in eating Snickers." I loved that. I have eaten much food in my life that really didn't bring me joy. I wish I could have all those wasted calories back. :D

    Mounds has been my favorite candy bar all of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Yes, I would like a few calories back. When I was younger, I ate nothing that did not make me happy. Now, I shovel it in...lol. mmmm for mounds.

      Delete
  9. Glad you guys made it out of Zeta okay. We got rain from Zeta here in Ohio yesterday. It was cold, steady rain most of the day. I do not like the Milky Way Midnights either! I would eat the 3 musketeers and the regular Milky way. My favorite candy though is Reese's Cups. Yummy!
    By the way, I finally blogged today and posted a picture of the witch on my door! :)
    Hope you have a Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I am glad it was only rain for you. I hate cold rain. Well, this bag did not have Reese's or we would have eaten those first. I will look. Hope your kids have a Happy Halloween!

      Delete
  10. any excuse for me to light some candles.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...