Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Cleaning Before Cleaning Lady Comes

 No, that is not what I am doing. But, it appears Tommy is. There is a step table, you know the kind I mean--a table with a little shelf/section above. He put a stack of stuff there, paper and stuff in folders. I have gently asked him if it can be moved. At first, it was NO. Then, okay. Finally, I took care of it.

I took a cloth and the can of Endust, gathered up the dusty folders, and took it to him. I sprayed the cloth and handed it to him. He finally dusted all of the folders and put it on the bookshelf near the front door. This is the kind of dusty that is a quarter of an inch thick. He did not want it dusted last year!

A bit later, he took the cloth to the now dusty around the edges table. He proceeded to dust the table with most of the layer of dust flying around the room. He thinks dusting, washing a dish, anything--must be done as hard and fast as possible. I usually dust things with that much dust very gently and gather the dust to shake outdoors. Not him. 

Then, he started cleaning around his chair. Now, he is doing things I have asked him to do for two weeks!  And, I am a slug with tooth hurting a bit but making me feel awful. Of course, taking an antibiotic makes me tired, too. 

The woman is not returning my call. I hope she works out, but now I have my doubts. 

Today, I MUST put the turkey in the oven and wash my hair! Those are my two goals along with dishes in the sink that mush be washed. 

It is 10 am, 52F and feels cold in this summer gown and sandals. Tommy is going in and out of the house and the door is open. The day is cloudless and sunny, so that is great. He is outside, trying to get the garbage can straightened out. He puts things in criss cross and then nothing else will fit. 

And, she did not answer call nor did she return the call or show up. I am livid.


16 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the cleaning lady did not show up. Why is it so difficult to get someone in to clean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I told the owner I wanted the whole house cleaned but not at once. I wanted refrigerator and stove cleaned first but not the oven. I don't think they liked that. I am not sure why. I called a friend who had a business cleaning service. She did not see a problem with what I wanted and no problem with saying so.

      The guy who was sending someone on Nov 16, and was a no-show was sending two people. Quite frankly, I did not see a need for two but did not say so.

      Delete
    2. Okay, you have a friend with a cleaning service. Get someone through him/her. They will show up if they want to keep their job.

      Delete
    3. Anne,
      My friend had a cleaning service for businesses and no longer does that.Besides, it is 70 miles from here.

      Delete
  2. It's so annoying and disappointing when people make appointments and don't show up. what about calling a Maid Service like Molly Maid or some such equivalent. Maybe that is what you've been doing. Or how about checking the bulletin board on Craigslist or at the local laundromat or grocery story. Often people will put up a post saying they do cleaning or dog sitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Angie's list and only two numbers were in service. I asked at a grocery store. And, I have not found a laundramat here. One woman did not want to drive so far!

      Delete
    2. Try this (205) 222-0365 G & G Cleaning Services or Two Maid and a Mop (205) 940-2292 or The Maids 205-871-9338. On Craigslist I found a company in Alabaster doing a special - 3 room deep cleaning for $125. but said to call if that's a little out of your budget (205) 378-8113. Maybe Alabaster is too far away. Here is a link to Household Services on Craigslist, or you can simply google because the postings change daily. Feel free to use any or none of this. Best of luck. https://bham.craigslist.org/d/household-services/search/hss

      Delete
    3. Joyful,
      Tomorrow. It is 8:30 pm right now.

      Delete
  3. I was always exhausted from working full-time, a horrendous commute, two young children and a lazy husband, but when he suggested getting a cleaning lady I always refused because he was such a hoarder that there was no way she could have cleaned anyway. While I could still get rid of stuff, I'm glad to say those days are over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      That is why I do not want a "crew" coming in. No telling what they would think is junk that is really good stuff. One cleaner at my house had a piece of "junk" in her hand ready to toss-an expensive piece to my serger.

      Delete
  4. I guess I should clean before my cleaning lady comes, but her name is Anne and she seems to have the same aversion to housework as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      LOL...If I had an aversion, I would really be in trouble. My back won't allow me to stand on my feet. Really, you are upholstering, so you get a pass on the cleaning.

      Delete
  5. I get 'no-shows' all day long. I too am perturbed by this - such poor manners this is !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does your community use the NEXTDOOR App? If so you can ask for recommendations for a cleaner or maybe find one who is looking for new clients.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...