Sunday, November 22, 2020

Holiday Transitions

 Saturday still.

Tommy is just now getting around to taking all the meat off the turkey. I took off the breast meat and it is in the freezer for Thanksgiving. The dark meat will be frozen, too, since Thanksgiving is a bit off from here. 

Before you ask and admonish, No, I did not save the carcass for broth. 

Taking the meat from the bones is easier if the turkey is still warm. This was torture to get the breast meat with a knife instead of grabbing it and pulling the breast meat off whole. Getting the rest of the meat off the bone is a job I absolutely despise. Tommy wore clear gloves to do the job so he was not so nasty when he got through and so the meat was still clean.

I have been asking Tommy for a week to help me sort of get food out of refrigerator and to help me find the leftover pork loin. I can bend but am in pain. So, I bent and pulled things out while he took it from me and put it on the stove or in the trash. I must say that we threw out too much food, mostly ends of salad bags. I did manage to sort of organize stuff. But, much was left untouched, never removed. sigh

Now, I may have remembered where the pork loin is--maybe in the space for the crispers.

Just now, I asked Tommy what else he would like for Thanksgiving. His request does not have to be typical Thanksgiving fare and can be savory or sweet, snacky or meal time food. He said he had not had a mincemeat pie in thirty years. So, that is on the menu and so easy to make. I have several blocks of mince meat--Nonesuch. 

So, that makes three sweets for Thanksgiving Day eating--peanut butter cookies already made, pumpkin pie and mincemeat pie that are yet to be made. 

I don't put an egg in my mincemeat. I put less water and a cup or more of applesauce and bake a two crust pie. I may get ambitious and make the applesauce since I have many apples. 

Two chunks of cream cheese came home with me. I have no idea how I will use them. I have not decided what to use them to make. What is your favorite way to use cream cheese? I like it on crackers with cayenne pepper jelly. Of course, I love cream cheese cake. 

EDIT

I forgot. My favorite way to eat cream cheese is with savory spices and on a cucumber sandwich. I took these to school for a tea party for ninth grade English class. The boys politely took several. When they came back, one guy took a huge handful, just used his hand like a claw and took a dozen of so, little round cucumber sandwiches. 

Sunday, I needed a prescription. When we went to the pharmacy, it was going to take over an hour before it was ready. I suggested we drive around a bit. We found lots of Halloween decorations up. Halloween in some cases had transitioned to Thanksgiving. In some cases, on of the two holidays also had Christmas decorations inside. Some houses had gone full Christmas. It was interesting to see three holidays up at once. Do you see houses with two holiday's decorations up at the same time?

10 comments:

  1. A good bagel is my favorite for cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cinnamon raisin bagel and cream cheese cannot be beat.

      Delete
  2. I don't like removing the meat from the turkey either and I do try to save the carcass but not always because the freezer space is so limited. I find if I didn't use it for broth within the week it likely won't get used for a long time so I might as well not save it.

    AS for cream cheese. I don't buy it that often because when I do have it, I use it so rarely that it tends to get moldy. I only really use it on bagel or toast and then I put my favourite apricot or peace jam on it. Before lox was so dear I used to have it that way too.

    I'm glad you cleared out some of the refrigerator. Mine is always full of half used and going bad things despite my best efforts not to waste. I suppose if I was willing to eat the same things every day, I wouldn't need so many different items but I like food variety, especially during these times it is something to look forward to, lol. Enjoy your meal preparations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JOYFUL,
      If I could put the carcass in the freezer, I would be more likely to save it and use it. But, when I have turkey, I have other things on my plate to cook.

      I added another I eat it, my favorite way, as an edit. I tend to eat to much, too often, so I try not to buy it often.

      Maybe we can try again to get the rest out. The refrigerator is still filthy with things he has spilled or dripped over the years. I tend not to need food variety. I think I just lose stuff in this cavernous place he has in the refrigerator...lol.

      I will enjoy the meal preps if I can stand up long enough.

      Delete
  3. My favorite current way to utilize cream cheese is as a dessert, we have different variations.

    Typical:
    1 block of cream cheese
    1/2 cup (or more, depending on how thick you want it) Heavy Whipping Cream
    Swerve sweetener to taste
    2 drops Orange Essential Oil (really brightens it up)

    Let the cream cheese come to room temperature, then use a hand mixer to combine.

    We eat this is sugar free chocolate chips, fresh or frozen berries.

    Just this weekend, I made this (Not sure if links will post?)
    https://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/no-bake-sugar-free-coffee-cheesecake/?fbclid=IwAR1vhxqkKc12mbapDBow35Dz9GyEvt7ZjznZw0KwW6JfO1hHPWmilZHwxfg

    It was a huge hit!

    Also, we had a turkey in the freezer that had been there way too long so we decided to cook it for soup. I used the meat for a tasty creamy soup (called for chicken, but turkey worked just fine!) and I used the carcass of the bird to make broth! I had some end-of-life carrots and celery and threw those in. The broth is dark and gorgeous and I can't wait to use it for recipes this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cream cheese recipe sounds delicious. If a recipe calls for chicken, I feel it is okay to sub turkey. Poultry is poultry. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. When my dd visited they left some cream cheese they had brought for the smoked salmon. I bought some bagels and have been using it up. My dad's favorite pie was mincemeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I would do the same thing so I could enjoy the cream cheese. Smart man!

      Delete
  5. I admire your industry to do the T-dinner trimmings ahead of time
    Jo-annes routinely schmears the three holidays on their shelves making the last four months of the year one big blur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      We definitely are seeing a blur of decorations around here.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...