Friday, November 20, 2020

What Is Missing?

Missing? That would be sage. So, I put the turkey in the oven with just salt and pepper on it. I miss the sage smell and taste. I bought ground sage today and will just put a smidgen on the turkey when I heat it and in the giblet gravy and dressing. That should do it for the taste and aroma. I have no idea where my ground sage went! 

Friday early cooking will be cranberry sauce from berries. I bought two bags that were 2/$4 and put both in the freezer. I wanted to get just enough for Thanksgiving and extra. Maybe I will find them cheaper and can get more for later. Plus, I want to dehydrate lots for eating. Craisins have oil and sugar.

One night, I was lying down when Tommy had my cell charged and was ready to toss it to me as he usually does. I had my face covered with my hands and said, "Okay." Then, I decided to show him where to toss it. I raised my left hand and arm. Well, at that moment, he tossed it and hit my arm just above my wrist. I was making a racket because it hurt so bad, and he was apologizing. Really, it was my fault. 

I was in such pain. He got up to look at my red and swollen arm and offered to get something frozen. I could not imagine what, but he came back with a bag of cranberries. He said he thought it would conform to my arm. Well, yes, it did. I sat here for about twenty minutes with cranberries freezing my skin while I moaned from the cold cranberries. 

So, the cranberries I will use in a few minutes have served me well already. They felt still-frozen when I put them back in the refrigerators. Maybe cranberries should supplant frozen peas for first aid. 

Swerve will be the sweetener of choice this time. Hope it works. I never put the whole amount called for by the cranberry bag anyway, only half or two-thirds what is called for in the recipe. Water, berries, and Swerve--that's it. 

I do have several cans of Ocean Spray jellied cranberry sauce that will be used when/if we want more at Thanksgiving. If not, we will use it at Christmas. 

At home, Mama had both since some of us preferred one over the other. She sliced up a can or made the whole berry cranberry sauce from scratch. 

I don't like things added to my cranberry sauce, like orange, so this makes me supremely happy. 

Do you serve both at your house? Just one? Which one? Growing up, what recipe for cranberry was on your table? 

 

12 comments:

  1. I mostly use the jellied cranberry or the whole berry in the can. We used to use the jellied all the while I was growing up. I also buy frozen cranberries and use them mostly to make cranberry muffins. I think I cooked them once only in place of canned. It sounds like you have more than enough for Thanksgiving and Christmas as there is only the two of you. Enjoy the feast. I love holiday meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I have never had the whole berry cranberries in the can. And, I have never made cranberry muffins. We have enough for eating but not for dehydrating! I love holiday meals, too.

      Delete
    2. If you love cranberries, you will love cranberry muffins. I think the ones I make are actually corn meal and cranberries. My memory must be starting to fail since I had to think there for a minute about the cornmeal. The muffins are not too sweet.

      Delete
    3. I have many recipes for muffins on my blog. Try this link (it's the results of a search for muffins on my blog) https://snapthatpenny.blogspot.com/search?q=muffins
      Here is a link to cornmeal cranberry muffins. I reduce the sugar by 1/3 and don't worry about the orange zest if I have no oranges. I usually do have oranges though and the zest makes a nice addition to the taste. https://diethood.com/cranberry-orange-corn-muffins/

      Delete
    4. Joyful,
      Thanks. I did not think about recipes on your blog.

      Delete
  2. We never have cranberry sauce or the jellied stuff. I make a fresh cranberry relish that we love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I never cared for cranberry relish unless I had access to the freshly cooked, plain, or the canned jellied. I would bet yours is delicious.

      Delete
  3. Hope your arm feels better.
    I bet that turkey smells good.
    My family likes the jellied cranberry sauce so that is what we always have on the table. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,
      My arm is better, thankfully. The turkey did not smell like Thanksgiving, but since I have sage now, it will next time I heat it. Jellied is good! Thank you. I hope your Thanksgiving is great!

      Delete
  4. Cooking cranberry sauce is one of my favorite Thanksgiving and Christmas things. It always puts me in the holiday spirit with the cranberry scent when the cranberries start to come to a boil with their soft little pop, pop, pop sound. I just use some sugar in them, less than on the package but what looks right to me. Sometimes I slice a sweet navel orange into small bits and put some of it into the sauce when the sauce is almost cool, so the orange bits don't get their bright flavor cooked out of them. I really don't care for the canned cranberry that is served in slices, but my husband loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      The smell of sage and the scent of cranberries cooking does it for me!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...