Friday, December 4, 2020

Christmas Gifts for Teachers

 After the endocrinologist listened to me, he then told me the results of my labs. It seems my cholesterol is down, liver and kidney fine, blood pressure down, AiC down, Vitamin D level up but not high enough, everything okay but weight up by about 20 lbs. I pointed out how swollen I was everywhere! As he got up to listen to my heart and chest, I asked him why I was swollen like a tick. He stopped and sort of bent and laughed so hard. Then, I held up my foot to show him. He pressed my calf and agreed I was swollen. This is NOT fat! Well, not all of it.

Since we were near Cookie Fix, we had our cookie fix. We had Chocolate Decadence. Mmmm!  

I had an appointment for Monday at the oral surgeon in Cullman for an extraction. So, Thursday night, about 10 pm, Tommy told me I had better eat if I wanted anything since I was going to be sedated on Friday morning. I was so puzzled since my appointment was for Monday morning. He gently reminded me the appointment was Friday. 

This stunned me and I argued a bit, insisting my appointment was on Monday. But, he pronounced that I had forgotten. So, I told him to get me up at 4:30 am and we could leave the house by 5 am and make it to the appointment. Well, I did not go to sleep until 3:30 am.

He woke me up and told me it was 5:00. It did not register, but I washed, dressed, brushed my teeth and left to comb my hair in the car. Once in the car and seeing the time on the digital clock, it registered and I screamed a bit. He swore I told him to get me up at 5 o'clock. My argument there was that if I were telling him something wrong, he should correct me! 

After all, he does correct me even when I am correct. It is not like he is shy about telling me I am wrong!

I don't set this little cheap clock with tiny buttons I cannot see. I kept messing up the time. So, he offers to call me. I need to invest in a larger and easier clock. 

We were 9 miles from the interstate exit and about 15 miles from our destination at 6:30 am. Traffic was heavy. I called the office and told the woman we were on the way. She said nothing. Nothing! So, I asked if she were still there. She said she was looking for my appointment, and it was on Monday.

So, we got off the interstate and went to Hardee's and drove home, all in driving rain and in the dark on the way up! I am beyond disgusted.  And, tired. 

When my children were in 7th, 5th, and 1st grade, all needed Christmas gifts for their teacher. My son, the 7th-grader asked me if I would make pumpkin bread for his teachers. He had five teachers and a coach. Whew! AND, he asked if I would make pumpkin bread for the other coach, too. The fifth grade daughter had at least two teachers. Okay, I can do this. 

I made two loaves at a time, and had two loaf pans. I baked for all three of them so they would be ready for the last day of school. All in all, I baked and sent at least ten loaves. I baked six loaves the day before, and the morning of last school day, I baked two before they left for school and came home and delivered the last two, piping hot so he could run out to the car between classes and get the hot loaves. 

My son said his teachers were so happy, especially the ones who got the two warm loaves. The two who received the two piping hot loaves exclaimed about the fact it was still hot. At least one started eating the freshest pumpkin breads right on the spot. 

My children have never been so happy about taking gifts to their teachers. You see, my three children loved pumpkin bread. 

I have sent food treats to teachers but not necessarily for a Christmas gift, but this was the first time almost all teachers got something hot all at once. Did you send baked gifts to teachers at Christmas? I mean something not meant to be given to students as treats, just for the teacher. 

12 comments:

  1. When I tught preschool at the Technical college that had a culinary arts program we were fed very well by our parents that were in that program!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always gave the teachers gift cards to a local Mexican restaurant where they all ate on professional development days (sans students). They loved getting those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That was a very thoughtful gift that I am sure was appreciated. I know that teachers always loved getting gift cards. I am quite sure that after getting knick knacks, GCs were something they could use.

      Delete
  3. I have never baked for teachers. But I also have never tried to keep medical appointments in my head. Between the two of us we would never get it straight.

    I write all appointments on the calendar that hangs on the refrigerator, AND I keep all appointment cards from the doctors office. I never have to guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      We both keep each other's appointments in each of our day planners. But, this time, neither of us had it written down. The appointment was given to me when I was in the car while leaving after the dentist appointment. So, it did not work out.

      Delete
  4. I would have been annoyed about dashing out to an appointment on the wrong day too!!!! As for the clock, could you not use your phone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I was beyond annoyed! Any time my phone is on, someone calls to awake me. I have never used it for an alarm. I dropped it the other day, and things do not work right now.

      Delete
  5. I like the notion of giving teachers gifts - often
    "Swollen like a tick" - marvelous expression !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My children loved giving them gifts.
      When my earlobe is the size of a healthy grape, I am swollen. And, my feet look like the feet of a neanderthal.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...