Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Tuesday, A Cow, Christmas Sausage Balls

 Okay, I went back to my dentist Tuesday  after going to the dentist and endodontist on Friday. He pecked around on my teeth and the tooth hurting is the one with abscess. I told him I was confused and that other teeth were hurting. Well, he said that having an abscess would really mess up all a person's teeth and it would be hard to know what was going on until I got the abscessed one fixed. So, I left with nothing done. 

We went by the PO, my house, and Belk.  I had no mail, felt relaxed sitting in my yard, and Belk's was cleaned out! 

By 11 am, we were done. Tommy asked me, "what now?" I suggested getting something to eat and going home to B'ham. He suggested going to Dutch Oven Bakery--Amish store. This was a shock as it is about 15 miles out the highway. So, we went and got a sandwich and halved it. This is a $3.99 deal, and I got one tiny piece of candy for dessert--peanut butter for him and pecan for me. 

Even though it was 33F outdoors, we decided to have a picnic at the picnic table they have out next to a fence with a pasture right on the other side. Someone else got the table first, so we ate in the car. They have two other tables, but they are the five or six sided kind and Tommy cannot get his walker to a table end to eat. 

Once before, I took a picture of a cow lying next to the fence. Last time we were there and eating in the car, a cow came loping along and went to stand near the table. This time, the same brown cow showed up and looked at the four people eating. When they left, one guy got up and fed something to the cow. Next time, we are going to take something to feed him. He is one smart cow! 

Then, shockingly, Tommy suggested we keep going past the bakery and see what there was to see. Shocking! 

As we pulled onto and crossed over the four lane divided highway, a state trooper pulled us over. It seems Tommy was going 47 mph in a 60 mph zone and in the left lane. He had plenty of open highway to get up to speed and move to the right lane. I was again shocked. The man always goes straight for the right lane and annoys me pulling in and out to move to pass someone. Then going right back to the right lane. So, he got a warning. 

Once at home, I went straight to the bedroom and put on a nightgown and went to bed for a nap, getting up at 5:30. I could have slept longer but then I would still be up at midnight with a full night's sleep under my belt.  

Dinner was not happening around here! Finally, I gathered things from the shelves--pouch of Idahoan potatoes, can of Hormel Roast Beef and Gravy, and English peas. It took all of 15 minutes to get it from can to plate. I am not sure if there is any nutrition in those potatoes, but they filled up a hole. 

Today, since I keep forgetting to thaw chicken in the refrigerator, I am going to put a couple of packages in water to thaw quickly and put it in a cooking bag. We will have chicken for eating and freezing for later. 

Cancelling cleaners. Explanation later.

My children loved sausage balls. Sometimes I made sausage balls to take to parties at Christmas. I was mean and did not let them have any. Okay, they had one but wanted many more.  BUT, I promised if they would be good for the babysitter and be asleep when I arrived back at home, I would make sausage balls for breakfast. They were so enthusiastic about party food for breakfast. 

Actually, husband was outraged. Think about it--sausage, biscuit, and dairy product. What is the problem? I was up early in the morning mixing sausage balls and baking them. I loved doing that!

I fed my children unconventional foods for breakfast. But, all of it was just food in a different form than a breakfast food. Did you feed your children different food for breakfast as a Christmas treat? 

15 comments:

  1. Sausage balls are pretty much sausage biscuits with cheese - perfectly normal breakfast food.
    My children mostly had cereal, eggs. Pancakes, muffins, French toast for breakfast.
    But sometimes they had cake if any was left from supper the night before,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      Mine had all that stuff for breakfast too, just sausage balls were special to them. They felt like it was party food. I might have given them cake, too, probably not.

      Delete
  2. My mother-in-law was not quiet in her criticism of what we sometimes gave our six for breakfast and left over homemade pizza was a favorite. I figured that as long as the nutritious building blocks were there, what did it matter which meal was what! Conni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conni,
      I feel for you and do agree about the nutritional part. Pizza is great for breakfast!

      Delete
    2. I like pizza, but it doesn’t appeal to me at breakfast. One of sons loves to eat cold pizza for breakfast - that’s a yuck in my book but not his.

      Delete
  3. My kids often ate leftovers, particularly leftove rholiday food, the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have become very tired of conventional breakfast foods. I just eat whatever I want! lol We have a Mennonite store here that sells big sandwiches for that price. They can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      I have been known to have a big bowl of beans for breakfast. So, you have experienced the food! They also have a restaurant here that is said to have delicious food at low priices.

      Delete
  5. Many, many years ago when I was sixteen I drove to the mountains with my best friend and her parents. We stopped for breakfast on the way. Now, this was an era with LOTS less dining out, and zero dining out for my family.

    They all ordered breakfast food and I ordered a hamburger. They laughed at me, but I explained I had meat, bread and potatoes, just like them. I couldn't see the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I thought I had responded to this comment. It is amazing that people would laugh at what a person eats. I would have chosen a cheeseburger!

      Delete
  6. I can remember having ham and cheese sandwiches with my brothers for breakfast, especially during the summer when there was no school. I had forgotten all about that, it's a nice memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always make orange rolls for breakfast on Easter and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...