Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Dutch Christmas Shoes

 I am writing this on Monday as I will be gone on Tuesday to the dentist about another tooth problem. This tooth is the one that I needed the clove oil to put on it. It flared up and I am going on Tuesday to get it filled, I hope. It hurts no worse than before. 

There is another refill for the antibiotic, so I will get that, too, for the molar that is abscessed. I have not had a toothache or filling in over 30 years! 

It appears that we now have someone to clean. This woman was agreeable about how many people would come--two men for the kitchen. 

She insists they use a chemical for the refrigerator--a chemical used in commercial kitchens--an acid, she said. How does that sound to you? An acid? At any rate, she sounds accommodating. 

I don't mind going shopping for what I need, but I do mind going from store to store to find nothing I need. So, I added another item to Amazon to be sent each month. I breathed a sigh of real relief when I placed the order. And, it is now cheaper for me. I am not overbuying, but I love this ordering on Amazon! These items are all things for which I have been searching, not just buying off the internet--necessities. 

If toilet paper is at a comparable price in the store, I may add it to my monthly order. 

Since my husband claimed his family to be "pure" Dutch, we bought wooden shoes at an antique shop in Missouri and started our tradition. Maybe they were really worn by the Dutch, maybe not. Each Christmas Eve, we put them outside the door early in the evening. 

Sometime early, Kris Kringle put a small toy or candy favor in each of the shoes for my two children to discover and enjoy before bed. Of course, there was the promise of more in the morning. My children loved this tradition we established. It may not have been authentic, but it was ours. 

16 comments:

  1. We were not Dutch but when my youngest were small, I had a collection of wooden shoes (and I have no idea why) and they each put a pair outside the door on Christmas eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks for that story. I guess I am not the only person to do this.

      Delete
  2. I did hear that story about putting the shoes outside though I haven't known too many Dutch people in my life so I cannot say how many do it. I'm so glad to hear you are going to the dentist. I hope he can take care of at least one problem. All the best with the cleaners. How did you finally come up with someone that might actually be able to help you with the cleaning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Oh, I have been to the dentist three times in five days. I used Angie's list and would not recommend it or the cleaners. More today.

      Delete
  3. Love this story. We put shoes out for the eve of St. Nicholas (which is dec 5) and the kids get candy and their annual ornament for the tree. This is something we started years ago with Rebecca and am Jacob after I heard about it from a friend. Was something fun to add to the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      Maybe we did it on the wrong day? I think the annual ornament in the shoe is a good idea, no new toy. It was fun.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely tradition, authentic or not. It's memories like this that make life special, I think. Your kids will always think of those moments when they see wooden shoes!

    I like these glimpses from your past. I have been reading consistently for the past several months, but I do not know your whole story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      We thoroughly enjoyed the tradition. And, the memories are still fresh.

      I am glad you are reading and are interested.

      Delete
  5. Yes acid is used in commercial kitchens BY TRAINED people as if you do not mix it correctly it can cause harm.
    Holland farmers wore wooden shoes, they are not good for your feet though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I am cancelling the appointment! I had already decided that, but this shows me I was correct.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I am of Dutch heritage & my first language (Afrikaans) is actually Dutch. The wooden shoes are clogs (klompen). I've never heard of that tradition, but love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Goose,
      Interesting that you have never heard of that. Thanks for the information.

      Delete
  7. I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying Amazon Prime. I order several times a week. It is so convenient and QUICK. I recently discovered that I had pantry moths. I cleaned really well but we continue to see one every couple of days. This evening one flew by and I immediately went to Amazon and ordered traps. They will arrive Sunday. Last evening I ordered 5 Amazon gift cards. They arrived today before noon.

    Have you figured out if you can stream Amazon Prime TV / Movies? Do you know how old the TV is? Take a peek and see if it has slots for an HDMI cord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      It is saving me being in stores and looking and wasting energy! You know the pantry moth traps do not eliminate the moths? They just show you where they are. You have to do the cleaning that includes throwing out boxes and looking under labels. I also got the electric fly swatter to help kill them. That was quick delivery. I discovered that if I delay delivery, I can get $ credits. I do that, too.

      No, I have not figured it out. Tommy said it about two years old. I don't know if I can bend to look, but I will try. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...