Saturday, January 16, 2021

Friday Nap in the Car

 Earlier this week, I asked Tommy what he was going to do with the electric can opener that has been sitting in the corner of the counter for over a year. He asked if it even worked. Since neither of us knew, we assumed it does not. Besides, it was filthy! I think it did not work because the blade had never been cleaned, but I did not volunteer that. Actually, I just now remember it has inch of gunk all over the cutting blade, having never been cleaned in the forty years he owned the can opener maybe before he moved here in 1980.

Friday night, I asked him if he would take it to the garbage can at least by tomorrow. In ten minutes he had it tied up in a plastic bag and took it out in the dark and cold and dropped it in the garbage can. Whew!

I need to put the air fryer back in that corner. lol Then, the area beside the sink and between the sink and dishwasher can be cleared, giving me more room for working. 

My next goal is to have him toss chipped and cracked dishes. He says the cracks and chips don't bother him, and does not believe they pose any health hazard. And if they really do, he says he does not care. 

Friday afternoon, I went to sleep in the parked car listening to the bird call cd. I may take it to my dental appointment. Speaking of sitting and waiting, we waited at least 45 minutes at the drive up window at Walgreen's. I know there have been times in the past when I could not afford the gas to sit that long. Even starting and stopping the motor after each car advanced would have taxed my finances. Of course, we went there at 3 pm on a Friday evening. 

Friday had a deep blue sky and a few fluffy white clouds. It was beautiful outside. However, the wind was so rough that my sinuses are suffering today. I think if I wore a mask, even going to the car, I would fare better in windy weather. 

I finally found pint freezer bags. Publix had a shelf full of what I needed, so I bought six boxes of 20 pint freezer bags. It is a relief to not use quarts all the time and to not be stressed about finding what I need. 

I baked six huge chicken breasts on Thursday morning before I went to the ENT. We had chicken  and broccoli for lunch, and then chicken and Brussel's sprouts and another vegetable for dinner. Lunch on Friday was chicken sandwiches, Friday dinner was chicken and green beans in stuffing, carrots and potatoes. I still have enough for the two of us for three more meals. And, we are eating fruit with all this.

As soon as I eat my Saturday lunch of chicken sandwich, we are going to see if a church has a yard sale. They hold unannounced sales on Saturdays. It's 42F right now, so the sunny weather and lack of rough wind will make this a nice day. This will be the first yard sale of the year.

Have you been to a yard sale this year? 

10 comments:

  1. Glad you found pint freezer bags. I know I very seldom see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      And, they are not on Amazon! I would have gone that route.

      Delete
  2. I seriously do not do yard sales. I find that if I shop retail or even facebook for items that I need specifically, I do better. Yard sales are tempting...but I'm 69 and it's time to declutter, not add to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I am 74. I bought something for $1 that I would have had to pay $10 to buy in a store. So, I am not cluttering!

      Delete
  3. I do not go to yard ales because I am getting rid of things rather than buying things. I have way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Tommy appreciates how much his life has improved since you moved in. The house is much cleaner and decluttered, his diabetes and his health is on a more even keel. He's probably even wearing better clothes.

    By the way, did you have that cleaning woman back to do the bathrooms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does and sometimes he does not! He really likes the food. I have to prod him without his knowing it, to be healthier. No, he is adamant about it. But, he will when I finally get the dishwasher in the kitchen and he can see things need to get better around here.

      Delete
  5. no but I want to have one. I want to push it all out and say 25 cents for anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Let me know. I think it is about time for a road trip. lol

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...