Tuesday, January 5, 2021

He Is Catching On

 Written on Monday

After I had made the taco casserole that is more like soup, we had a bowl. The next day, we had another. I was trying to decide whether to freeze it or just eat it. Tommy said, "Well, it would be good to have a meal fixed and ready to eat, wouldn't it?" I was proud of him. I froze it.

About that casserole/soup--it needs to be fixed and will last more meals. I used a package of ground pork that was 1.6 pounds, enough for two recipes, really. Then, I put in a can of black beans and one of corn. That was good, but then, I put in a whole cup un uncooked brown rice. That was twice as much as the dish needed. So, I have a dish with mostly rice but beans and corn are not abundant in it. 

My plan is to thaw the meal and put half a can of corn and half a can of black beans in it and a 15 oz. can of tomatoes. That way the proportions will be right. Of course, it needs more taco seasoning and a bit more cheese. This will make another three meals for both of us, six portions. 

I will freeze the other half cans of corn and beans in the same bag and save it for the next time I prepare this for us. Maybe we will just eat them with another meal. 

Tommy seems really interested in the fixing of food. I have no delusions that he will ever do it on his own. I treat him like I would a child (not in a demeaning way) , talking to him about why I do things while he is standing still, watching. And this is not my idea for him to watch as I don't call him in. I showed him how I put holes in the cooking bags when he was in the kitchen. Hopefully, if he needed or we needed food, he could do things. 

But, if it were left to him, he would buy frozen, prepared chicken strips and prepared vegetables and heat them in the oven like he did when I met him. But, with his walker, he can barely get to the stove and sink and anything. 

Speaking of Tommy, he ate cottage cheese after swearing he hated it and would never eat it. I made a salad with cottage cheese, Jello, Cool Whip, and pineapple, the same food he had rejected loudly just two weeks before. ??? LOUDLY! I had not even made it, yet!

Monday night--I put frozen carrots in a pint bag from the freezer; five or six thawed, boneless, skinless chicken thighs; and one small potato, quartered into the oven. The carrots were on the bottom, thighs on top, and the quarters of potatoes in cracks. I sprinkled garlic, herb seasoning over all and they are baking in the oven. 

Tuesday night--leftovers. turkey breast for me and chicken thigh for him; BEPs for both; slaw; carrots.

When I awoke on Tuesday, I made three turkey sandwiches--one for my breakfast, and one each for our lunches.  So, we spent nothing for lunch on our trip to Cullman. 

We had only one-half potato each on Monday since I am trying to lose weight. He had the rest of peas in refrigerator, and I had romaine and some of the last of the turkey breast. I had four scrambled eggs at about 1 pm today. I still have not apple or banana yet, so there is still that. I am not supposed to have  much fiber, so the reason I eat little fiber. 

Half the thighs will go in the freezer for meals for him.


13 comments:

  1. I'm with Tommy. I love all kinds of cheese, except cottage cheese. I just don't like the taste of it.

    I'm glad he's liking the idea of freezer meals (taco casserole). That saves so much time, energy and money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Goose,
      But, he does like cottage cheese and ate it with relish!

      Delete
  2. Can I ask a question? I have been following your page for close to a year and I am still unsure. Is Tommy your husband, significant other, brother, friend...? Just wondering. It helps to have everyone sorted when I am reading the blog. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tommy is very blessed to have a live in cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      He says that is what he likes best about me. LOL

      Delete
  4. Your casserole sounds a lot like the one I make and it is one of our favorites. I put it in the crock pot and we have enough for a few meals or I can freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      He loves it. So do I. I have never frozen this before.

      Delete
  5. I have always hated cottage cheese, though I like most all other kinds of cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      He declared he hated it, but says he did not say so and ate it.

      Delete
  6. My son (the one that just moved in with me after his divorce) is now driving me slightly bonkers trying to figure out "this cooking malarky". Before, when he was living in Geneva with his wife, they had two good incomes and access to plentiful take-out food. Here in France you can forget take-out pretty much so I think he's panicking slightly. Still it's never too late to learn is it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I had a friend who was about 60 and asked for help when he wanted to bake a potato. He did read a Jello box to find out how to make Jello with fruit. That was it for cooking other than throwing meat in a skillet. Hopefully, your son is more motivated and capable.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...