Monday, January 4, 2021

Charles Barkley and Me

 On the news or somewhere, I heard Charles Barkley talking about plans for the year. He had only one goal, improving his health...just like me.

He had an injury and while recovering, he had gained 70 lbs....just like me. 

I think his injury occurred this past year while mine occurred 20 years ago. Well, we both have a weight problem. 

While I gained the 70 lbs. in six months, my body barely changed. I  could wear halter tops that barely reached my waist. I had been eating my feelings and planning a trip to Australia while I waited for workmen's comp to "allow" an MRI on my knee. Eventually, I had surgery even though the physical therapist reported I was malingering. Twenty years later with virtually no exercise, my body is a mess. 

Bitter some? Yes. 

Well, I have not done well after several other injuries that were a result of the first one. No only have I gained weight, I have lost lots of mobility, strength, and coordination all over my body. 

This has got to end. 

One advantage to living alone is that there is no one wanting food and I am the cook! I suppose I will have to be strong and be the conscience for two. And, no one needs to chide me for what I eat! Never. Just wrestle it out of my hands...lol. 

Now, at 1 pm., I am going to scramble three eggs and drink a glass of milk for breakfast. 

14 comments:

  1. I feel so sorry for people who gain weight/lose mobility because of injury. I have no such excuse for my weight gain - other than the menopause. Oh well, up to me to do something about it I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I managed menopause without weight gain and then the injury and me did me in.

      Delete
  2. I lost 10 lb since the pandemic started. I have always been a small eater and for some reason this past year didn't help. Maybe cooking all the meals and staying home more? My appetite shrunk and that probably isn't good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Is weight loss something you need or do not need? I wish my appetite would shrink.

      Delete
    2. well I do not need it anymore. I am now 5 ft 2 inches and weigh 125. I have always had a problem with weight gain. When my first child was born I was 98 lb when I got pregnant and 122 when she was born.

      Delete
    3. Ann,
      You are certainly tiny. But, I would say you probably don't need to lose weight.

      Delete
  3. I am 5’2” and weigh 145. I weighed 105, 10 yrs ago. I definitely could lose a few. My friend from Decatur High was on ventilator for Covid and died this weekend. I have been sad and eating. I am a stress eater. I also eat when work is very stressful.....or life.....sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Isn't it annoying to eat when under stress? I do, too. I eat my problems! I am so sorry about your friend dying. Stay safe.

      Delete
  4. I hope despite it all you find some ways to better your health. Even little things daily can move you right. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Any little thing in the right direction has got to be an improvement. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I really put on a lot of weight after having a thyroid disease that was treated by drinking radio active iodine which kills off one's thyroid gland or part of it. Even though I take thyroid replacement medication to replace what my body no longer makes. I think something is missing from the medication and that it greatly differs from what the human body makes.

    Then after developing severe arthritis in my knees and having two knee replacements, I gained more weight.

    It is so difficult and slow going to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had half my thyroid removed and my other half worked just fine for a long time. Now, I think the other half no longer works and it is taking a long time to get the dose of synthroid up to making my body have enough. Gaining weight is just what knees don't need.

      I know it is now difficult for me to lose weight.

      Delete
  6. I think a lot of us could lose a few pounds. I am certainly giving it a try. Not a resolution just a determination

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...