Monday, January 18, 2021

Lanterns, Doves, Kale, Plans

 


The lantern is another Christmas gift for Tommy. The Vont lantern came two to a box. So, I got it and told him that part of that box was mine. He appears to love it when he has to go into a room without light to find something for me. Yes, he gets to go search dark rooms. 

Plus, he can hang it in the laundry room since there is no light in there. It is so much  better than a flashlight that cost $1. He also hangs it under the kitchen sink. I will tell you about that another day. He had to live forever without light before he appreciated it. Before, he said he did not even need the tiny, cheap flashlight. His lay here for months before he would use it. Sooo stubborn!

When I was in Cullman last week, I pulled into my yard as I do every time we go. Right there a few feet from the car was a dove. I loved my doves. I suppose they decided to stay at their location. Then, Tommy has doves, too. They built a nest on the water drain right under the gutters. I love doves.

In December I planted kale the woman who works for research brought me. The cover came off a few weeks ago and the kale was looking like it did not want to live. We went out Sunday and I cut kale for the potato soup that has carrots and cheese in it. The kale is tough, not sure why. I put it in salt water, but bugs were still stuck to it. Plus, there were little patches of tiny dots. I cut those off and scraped off the bugs. I was glad I did not have to buy a huge bunch of kale or any at all. I love a garden.

Tommy might have a lighter or two, probably not. But, I came upon matches and bought some. They came 20 in a box and 10 boxes to the package for $1.07. He exclaimed when he saw them, "Why did you buy SO MANY boxes?!" I am trying to get together lighting options and fire making equipment. This quest started in November.  The only candles I will use are tealights in a saucer in bathroom or kitchen sinks. I am afraid of fire. He is cavalier about candles in candlesticks. 

I do have battery-powered tealights and batteries for them, the round kind of batteries. Then, there are the fairy lights I got for Christmas. Power outages do occur. He says I worry too much. I have spent a bit over $20 so we can at least see. 

Next is a grill. I will use money earned from Amazon for that and buy a small gas grill. 

Are you prepared to have light during a power outage?

Since it is MLK Day, all my plans for calls I need to make are on hold. At least my plans for light are about done.


13 comments:

  1. I am prepared with flashlights, a lantern, and candles, but no heat this tim eof year is a bigger issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      At my house I was prepared with backup light, but no heat. Of course, down here the heat is not so critical as it is for you. He had nothing; now he does.

      Delete
  2. We live at the end of a cul de sac. Two years ago, we had a horrible ice storm. Trees and even a power pole fell across our road, blocking our only way out. We had no power for four and a half days! Fortuate for us, we have gas logs in our family room. Hubby hung blankets over the open door ways and sat in there, whining. I backed my car out of the garage, sat in comfort on the heated leather seats and surfed the 'net with wifi from the house!
    Early on the 4th day, we were able to walk out and rent a car so we could go to my son's to shower and then to a restaurant.
    I think we are better prepared now...thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Heated leather seats and the internet. Life is good! At least you had the gas logs and could block the doors to have a bit of heat. I think it takes a problem for people to prepare for the next emergency.

      Delete
  3. I hope I'm prepared for no lights. I've got candles (which I prefer not to use), small flashlights, big flashlight, crank flashlight and faux lanterns that take batteries. The big issue is making sure a I have working batteries for all these gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Five minutes ago, I was putting batteries in a lunch or tool bag I bought on sale, forgot which, in order to know where they are and to be able to access them without scrabbling around in a drawer or shelf. I will never be without batteries to power my battery-powered lights.

      Delete
  4. We have a generator that our entire house is hooked up to. It's awesome when we have a power outage. I also do have plenty of candles around in case it wouldn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chic,
      That sounds really nice in case of an outage. Wish we had one.

      Delete
  5. You have mentioned several times that there are rooms in Tommy's house with no lighting. I can't figure this out. Is it because the light bulb burned out and you two can't change it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      The one in my bedroom cannot be reached. The others lights don't work. I would fix them if I could climb a ladder. he refuses to hire anyone. The porch light and all the security lights don't work, either. It is spooky out there.

      Delete
  6. I vote for cleaning up the joint and announcing it was a birthday present I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...