Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Meals and Money and Tornado

In October or November of 2019, I bought 40 pounds of sweet potatoes. We are still eating them. Sweet potatoes last a long time if stored properly. Unfortunately, the best temperature for sweet potatoes seems to be in the living room underneath the coffee table that holds Tommy's 50 inch TV. The 2019 sweet potatoes will probably gone in a week or two. Only then will I start baking the 2020 sweet potatoes. Remember, I bought 50 pounds. 

The problems with shingles has had me so off for six months that I have not done things I should have, including baking sweet potatoes. 

Monday night dinner was scrumptious, if I do say so. We had meatloaf, sweet potatoes, green beans. I had no catsup, so I tried a healthier version. I usually put catsup in the meatloaf and on top. I used a small can of tomato paste and about the same amount of milk in the meatloaf. Tommy did open several fast food packets for me to put on top. I think I will not use catsup at all when I make meatloaf. Tommy never puts anything on his baked sweet potato. I use a bit of butter. The green beans were sodium free. 

The best part of the meatloaf dinner is that I froze the second one I made. I used two square glass pans for the meat loaves. 

Sweet potatoes are simple to bake, but I should freeze some at least for this dinner. Of course, a can opener on green beans is too simple.  

I have kept up with money spent on groceries this month. So far, we have spent a bit less that $200 for groceries for both of us this month. I have $10+ left. We won't need milk, but I might need one more banana to finish the month. 

Publix will have a2milk on sale this week, so my surplus will be spent well. Or, I can wait until Feb. 1 and start using next month's $200 f I spend the $10 this month. This amount I have spent is for things we ate and things for stock up. So, actually we have not eaten so much. But, I am using from the freezer, too. The bell pepper that went into the meatloaf was from the freezer. 

When a person is eating from the freezer, eating from stockpile, stocking freezer, stocking shelf foods, AND eating just-purchased food, it is hard to know exactly how much it costs to eat. So, I try to keep my spending under $200. We do eat at least three vegetables and four fruits each day. I should not eat that much fiber. 

Of course, this does not include other things about the house and meds. But, I rarely go wild with either area. I could go wild buying food, I suppose. 

The refrigerator cleaning and having all its shelves have been a joy. I cook what is there, eat leftovers and waste nothing at all. 

At 11 pm Monday  night, the ac came on. It is currently 68F but the bricks were warmed by the 70F+ we had today. With the heat in the winter, we are on alert for tornadoes. At midnight it is still 70F. And tornadoes have hit close by, well, about 12 miles from here as the crow flies. By 12:15 the temperature was up 1 degree to 71F.

Tuesday

A tornado did hit, killing one child, injuring many, and tearing up multiple buildings, some completely destroyed. 

10 comments:

  1. So sad about the tornado. I didn't knew anyone called Ketchup catsup-now I know someone. I probably was well into my adulthood before I realized what catsup was. It was always a word I read and had no clue wha tthe heck it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I like Del Monte Catsup, and log ago it was "catsup" on the label. I am laughing at your wondering. It is funny what is normal to us.

      Delete
  2. I use tomato soup in my meatloaf. Years ago, I had a Campbell soup cookbook. I saw a recipe using the tomato soup. I like the taste of it and it is easy. I dont always use Campbells, whatever is cheaper is used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      About an hour ago, I had a can of tomato soup in my hand and told Tommy I could use tomato soup instead of catsup! I was excited. When I could find no catsup, I was going to use spaghetti sauce. So, I suppose the tomato whatever is the answer.

      Delete
  3. Tornado!
    I suppose it is getting to be that time of year
    Do people in your parts consider them "G-d's will" when they strike?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Urspo,
    There are those that do. Deaths are God's will, too. Of course, I am not in that camp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weird tornadoes this time of year.I feel so bad about your shingles and then to have them for so long and not know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sad about the tornados. Very sad about the deaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      He was doing the right thing, taking shelter in the basement of his home. The home fell into the basement. Sad.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...