Monday, January 25, 2021

Sunday Thrift Store Shopping

Sunday, a 67F day, I suggested we take sandwiches to the park to eat. We did and thoroughly enjoyed the repast, simple as it was. Then, I suggested a drive. Then, when he was returning, I suggested more riding. Then, I suggested a destination that required more riding...lol. We left here at 12:15 and returned at 3:15. 

Earlier, I told him my three goals. When we returned home, he started on his part, retrieving boxes with his reacher. He retrieved so much other stuff I was covered in stuff as I sat on the couch! I finally had to beg him to stop. Now, it is after 4:00 and I have a day's worth of sorting and carrying. I am not happy but will finish all this fully.

When we went past the Thrift Store, I realized it was open on Sunday, so I told him I wanted to go in on the way home. We did. I had one thing in mind, finding a cheap and small ottoman for my legs. I went straight to the furniture and bought things as I passed. 

A red scarf, fine knit and the perfect shade of red. The fringe is not the kind that is cut in strips. It is a very fine knit "string fringe." I LOVE IT! Now, I need to hand wash and hang it to dry. This was a rack of new scarves, not used. 

A glove bin stopped me. I found a pair of gray cuffs of some sort, too wide/big to be sleeveless gloves and no holes, anyway. I bought them thinking I could wear them on my ankles. Even barefoot, just my ankles feel a breeze. I have sensitive ankle bones? I think they would be great as cuffs on a coat. 

A red bracelet caught my attention and jumped in the cart. It has very large red, beads on red elastic. Now, I need a white dress with red polka dots. 

An stainless steel mixing bowl  caught my attention, an identical one to my mixing bowls acquired in 1966. I love them and never felt the need to get something newer. 

A heavy glass divided dish for crudite or candy caught my attention. I had one like it. Now, I have one again. 

A glass Christmas dish with a poinsettia embossed into the back is now mine.

One Rod McKuen album adopted me. Tommy said--What are you going to do, just look at it?" I gave him a withering look and said nothing. 

Southern Living The Joys of Summer  2020 edition was $0.49. I will enjoy the pictures. These are usually at least $5 for special editions.

Simplicity Pattern

The only thing I stopped for, spending no more than 15 seconds was the scarf purchase. It was sort of tangled in other scarves. I saw the red fringe from a distance and had to find the scarf, I went for an ottoman, saw beds without footboards, found they sell mattresses, saw signs for things I might look at if my back did not hurt. Tommy said I spent about 30 minutes in there. I doubt it was that long. He was not complaining as I asked how long. 

I am seriously thinking of buying the wood, commissioning someone to make the ottoman from my specs and upholstering it myself. Any carpenters around? It will basically be a box on legs with cushion on top, just like I had. I will probably have a skirt on it. 

So, I sit now, Sunday,  with aching back and need to get on the elliptical for five minutes, and get on with the day. Okay, I could only  pedal for 4:45 instead of 5:00 minutes.

Sunday night, I had gone to sit while Tommy washed the crock pot. He came into the room at my request to see if TV was on the right station. As he came in, he was carrying cloth in his left hand as he held onto his walker. Startled, I sort of shouted, "What are you carrying in your left hand?" He looked down, took both hands to get the cloth straight. "WELL DAMN!" He was louder than I was. He was carrying a pair of my panties! Dirty panties! Yes, he washed his hands. 

He had finished drying dishes and was not quite to the crock pot. He went back in and found the dish towel lying on the counter by the sink where he left it. I have no idea how he got a pair of my dirty panties. The clothes for the washer are in the kitchen, but why would he get panties out? He guaranteed me he had not dried with them. I am still laughing. 

Today/tonight we got all the dishes washed except for three cookies sheets. I boiled six eggs for my use since he will not eat eggs in any form.

At 3 am Monday morning, the temperature was 68F in the house. I have lots of calls to make today. And, I need to finish the list. 


8 comments:

  1. I hope you got to all your phone calls. Most days if I need to make business type calls I can only manage one (due to the sleeping hours). I'm glad you found some things that you like in the thrift store. I try not to go in stores or look on line because inevitably I find things I really need, lol. That's a funny story about Tommy and the 'cloth'. My goodness. I'm glad he didn't dry anything with it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Oh, I saw things I wanted/needed but kept moving due to pain. I often do not get calls made because of poor sleep. It is infuriating. I actually got two calls made today. Believe me, if he had dried one thing, all the dishes in that stack would have been rewashed. We were both a little horrified.

      Delete
  2. I have an ottoman I am trying to get rid off. I wonder if I could screw the legs off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I am quite sure you could. It would possibly be cheaper than one here...lol. Send me a picture of it.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, but it made me laugh thinking of Tommy drying the dishes with a pair of your knickers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Let me be clear, he did not actually dry anything. lol Well, it was pretty funny after we both were so alarmed.

      Delete
  4. I have a stool, or maybe I should say step, that needs to be recovered. My husband built it for me last year right before I had spinal fusion surgery so I could get in and out of the bed easier. We have a king size and it's really tall, and I'm 5'4" on a good day. (Probably not now with my spinal fusions) I liked the step so much, I am still using it.

    He thought it was only going to be temporary, so there is some sort of felt like material on it, but I want it to be pretty and not fuzzy. I haven't even looked for material yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      My spine will be fused when I do have surgery on my back. Since i am/was almost 5'8", I don't have much trouble getting on a tall bed. But, I can see how a step to get up can help. You can probably find a remnant to cover it easily and cheaply at a shop.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...