Friday, January 1, 2021

New Year's Day

 So, it is still NYE. I did not feel like writing  and the shirts were so cute. I really need one. 

NYE I priced Hunt's Tomato Bits and Hunts Tomato Sauce. Publix is cheaper than Piggly Wiggly!  I will wait for a better price. Since I cannot find collards in a small can that does not contain anything but water, I bought a #10 can of collards. When I open them, I will freeze them in portions for two. 

Blackeyed Peas are in the crock pot. Collards will go well with those. Plus, I will make cole slaw. That will go well with peas, also. 

For about ten years I attended a New Year Day party that was just for women and we had our cards read by our host. We all brought food, even after attending her NYE party the night before. Some people brought bacon and eggs and cooked there. Someone always brought a huge bowl of cherries. I finally asked them to put the cherries at the other end of the table because I had no willpower in the face of cherries. 

I always brought blackeyed peas with no seasoning at all, not even salt. Surprisingly, some people were thrilled with no sodium. Plus, I brought slaw. Both were a hit and none was left. 

Those were twenty happy years. Sadly, our host for many parties died suddenly. We never recovered our parties. She hosted politicians, attorneys, teachers, professors, nurses, and the rest of us..lol. Conversation was always interesting. Tommy went there one or two times and found two other guys who were into Doctor Who. We always played Trivial Pursuit--one side of the room against the other. We had so much fun. 

I digress. 

Tonight, we are having cabbage and onions, the last two healthy hotdogs, and roasted potatoes. When the blackeyed peas are done, we will have those tonight and definitely tomorrow with slaw and ham. 

The NYEs that I stayed home, I had Coke, Ruffles, and onion dip. So, tonight, that will be my treat. I have the rest of the Port Wine Cheese Ball and half a log of goat cheese in blueberries, and Wheat Thins. I will only have a bit of these along with fruit.

When I told Tommy I had gotten a blueberry goat cheese log for NYE, he grunted in approval. Then, one day he got half of it and ate it! What was he thinking? So, I suppose we have less.  

There are fireworks somewhere, sort of rumbling. I have not gone out to investigate. 

I suppose we are watching a Doctor Who marathon. 

NEW YEAR'S DAY

Last night, I ate only a few chips, little dip. We saw no fireworks, just hurt them popping, nothing close.  After I finally went to bed at 2 am, I had just drifted off and was almost asleep when fireworks started again and startled me. And, they were close. 

I definitely do NOT like Doctor Who. 

Today is the day we are starting to take down decorations. I was going to wait until Saturday, but Tommy is taking the lights off the wreath now. Whatever. Most years, it take me two weeks to finally get everything down. I take them all down on one day, but keep finding things I forgot for days. 

The one thing we did have was a bottle of Welch's Sparkling Grape Juice. I had never had any, so I picked up a bottle last week. After I poured us a bit, I dropped some of the frozen white grapes in it. We should have put in 12 grapes, eaten them as we made wishes. The drink tasted like NuGrape drink, a bottle soda. Have you ever had NuGrape? It is the best of the grape sodas. No, we will not drink all this as I will pour it out. 

I had other things to eat that were snacky, but we did not eat much during the evening--a good move. 

My fever is within a tenth of a degree or two-tenths of a degree of normal. So, I feel better! 

It is 2 pm and I have not had breakfast or lunch, so I will make cole slaw and have blackeyed peas, collards in a few minutes. 

My one goal this next year is taking care of my health. This will include my weight, exercise, and figuring out how safely to go to doctor's and have tests performed that I delayed because of covid19. So, my goal encompasses many areas. 

Even though 2020 is behind us, I do not think turning a calendar page makes one bit of difference! The only thing that will make a big difference is getting the pandemic under control by whatever means necessary. That is not pessimistic, just realistic. 

So, Happy New Year's. Stay safe. 


8 comments:

  1. I adore chips and onion dip; I can not think of a better way to send in the new year. I hope 2021 is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      It is my favorite. I sprinkle the onion soup on different meats and sometimes mix it in with hamburger. I hope so, too. Thanks. I hope 2021 is good for you.

      Delete
  2. Chips and onion dip are a fantastic treat. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that turning the page on a calendar doesn't flip a switch but I do find more motivation - for a short while anyway. Good luck with taking care of your health - it's something we all need to think about isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Yes, it is something everyone needs to think about, especially now. It is so easy to put things off because of covid. But, then again, we need to stay well so we might be able not to catch it and recover better if we do.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...