Thursday, January 28, 2021

Thinking of Gardening and New Dishwasher



I had to explain this to Tommy. His answer was 1...LOL. He has never been around glitter. 

There is no sense putting pots of anything on the porch. If I missed one day watering or was a few hours late, the extreme heat from the afternoon sun in front of the brick house was not good for the plants. Then, a few that were always watered well, died. I am thinking of getting someone to get the four boxes to the little area where the walk/ramp curves from the drive to porch. 

But, there is a problem I don't know how to solve. Something was getting on the porch and eating tomatoes, squash, and other things. I doubt it was a cat, maybe a rat though I have never seen or heard of a rat around here. Do I get a camera to set up and catch things, put out traps, sticky traps? 

Since I thought about gardening, I suppose I should get all the old plants from the pots the next warm day. Tommy will have to help me. 

That led me to wondering about seeds. I doubt I will have to worry about not enough seeds since I planted none last year! I hear it will be hard to get seeds this year. The one thing I will plant from seed and pamper are the seeds for Wave Petunias. I will plant several pots to ensure I will have more if the ones on the porch die in the sun. 

So, no matter what I do, I want to ensure I have tomatoes, squash, and zucchini that can grow without being eaten by an animal. Well, something with teeth. What advice do you have? 

Dishwasher was delivered about 9:30 am. At 11:00 am, the guys left it half stuck into the hole for it. NOW, we have to get a plumber. I paid for installation at time of purchase. I was counting on using the dishwasher this afternoon. Boo hoo! It seems this was put in the house in 1970s and fittings don't fit for water or drain. 

Okay, the plumber will be here in the morning. 

I did not mean to post this when I did, so right on top of last post. grrr

27 comments:

  1. Our Dollar Tree has seeds already. 4/$1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning. I find it's always something. Just when we get something figured out (or think we have it figured out) something comes up to throw it all out of whack. Hoping it is an easy job for the plumber. I forget I have a dishwasher sometimes because I spent so many years without one. I try to use mine one or two times a month at least. It is so lovely for times when I cook a lot or a holiday. If I start putting dishes in it on regular days it might take 3-4 days to get enough to wash. Those commercials where they tell you to run your dishwasher every day even if you only have like 5 things in it are crazy. I never put pots and pans or sharp knives in mine. Knives because my husband insists on putting them point up and I can just see myself not paying attention and cutting myself. Posts and pans because I use them frequently and don't want to have to wait until a load is done. Have a great day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I intend to run it every night. I am so happy to have it in the house, if not installed. Why does he insist on knives being point up? He is all for every day dishwashing, and he would be the one to object! He objects to everything!

      Delete
  3. sounds like a racoon... or rabbit... you could try hot pepper repellent spray (google it ) or You would have to have a wild life trap and someone that was willing to deal with it when it's caught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      No idea who to get. At my home, I would. Thanks. Those were my guesses.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully the plumber is part of your paid for installation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Absolutely not. Different town, different company. I will get maybe$40 back and pay out a couple of hundred.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know about the seed shortage (at least I never thought about it). Thanks for mentioning it. I still have some seeds from last year, but will be sure to buy more next week.

    I hope you'll be able to use your new dishwasher by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Goose,
      I have not looked in stores. Last year, there were plenty in the stores here while others were reporting shortages across the country.

      Delete
  6. Squash bugs, tomato worms, slugs or even maybe rabbits. There is probably a formula on google you could use to spray them with to keep them off without using Insecticides. I’m sure other readers have other suggestions. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      These were huge bites, so something other than bugs.

      Delete
  7. I love the glitter example concerning covid. We have used that example too and realize how fast it can spread. Nice you can get a dishwasher. I love mine. the one that came with the house was so loud we hated using it so decided to look for a quieter one. Our quiet one is very nice but the loud one held more and I think it cleaned better. However that trade off is worth it to not have to sit thru the noise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      LOL...I don't much care if it roars like jet plane...lol. At least it is another room! But, I do understand.

      Delete
    2. Our kitchen and living room are together and we couldn't watch TV or even talk while the loud dishwasher was running. If it was another room it would be fine

      Delete
    3. Ann,
      I wondered and thought maybe that was the situation. I can see how that would be a problem.

      Delete
  8. It may be squirrels. They like to taste different garden treats, but don't usually eat the whole item. I think they may use them as a moisture source when they can't find water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you put water out, you might attract snakes. I've heard they like to be where water is available.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last summer I had squirrels and a large ground hog that destroyed my garden. They were caught red handed. The pepper spray or even red pepper flakes works but you have to remember if it rains to reapply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      In my old house, there were millions of squirrels, but they never bothered my garden. Goundhogs were the problem. NOW, there are so few squirrels and no chipmunks. So, I suppose the only squirrel things I planted for him. I have pepper spray and pepper flakes. Yes, I have had to reapply. Thanks for the reminder. Well, I used the pepper for bugs not critters.

      Delete
  11. I totally get you wanting to play with your new dishwasher. I got a new freezer yesterday and I plan to play with it this morning. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I had fun with the freezer when we got it last summer. Plus, The dishwasher is partially out in the floor. I think I need to go wash dishes in the sink!

      Delete
  12. I should send you some glitter; I have heaps.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...