Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Poke Cake and Other Stuff Today

 Loading the dishwasher hurts me so. I have been washing dishes about every three days. Yes, I allow them to sit in the sink. But, now, I have both sides of the sink to use, so I still have a side to use everyday. This may seem lazy to you, but I don't care. I got them all loaded in one go, but could not bend one more time to put the capsule in the door. 

I folded clothes, put them away, and ate lunch. That is it so far. The rest of the day will be devoted to:

freezing bags of meatballs, meal-size portions--16 meatballs each. 

I need to cook 4 lbs of chicken thighs after marinating them in Italian dressing.

Cook cabbage and something else to go with the chicken. 

Take tops off a gallon of strawberries frozen whole and given to me this last winter. I would not have left the tops on, but they were a gift. 

I am going to make a strawberry poke cake. Tommy thinks it sounds gross. But, he will love it. Who does not like jello poured on cake? I mean, it is 75F outdoors! So, the cold cake will be great. My older daughter loved this cake. But, I mentioned it several years ago and she thought it sounded gross. She just does not remember. 

There is a nail just below the light fixture in the back bedroom where I go to store food. I keep catching my hand on it, so I spied a hammer and carried it to the door. 

Hang wet clothes--panties and nightgowns.

Water tulips.

I bought a shamrock to hang on the front door. Today, I am going to make a pattern to have more cut from thin wood. I told Tommy how I could afford such things once upon a time. I would take something and make a pattern, have the item cut, and sell it. I may not sell the new ones since I don't have the market I had then. 

The urge to sunbathe is overtaking me. Of course, I will fight this urge! It is so beautiful out today. Yesterday, there was not one cloud in the sky. Today, I have not checked. We will go out in about 30 minutes, so will see then. 

I have another two packages of meats that really need to be cooked tonight. We will see.

The money I spent yesterday on food was all for stock-up at low prices. I found Stovetop stuffing for $1, so bought two. 

Have you ever had a strawberry poke cake? Any other kind of poke cake? 


24 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be easier to load the dishwasher after every meal? I don't understand keeping days worth of plates in the sink. We give a quick rinse and then throw it into the dishwasher (which we run at least every other day, even though it's just my husband and me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbie,
      Indeed it would! There was not one plate in the sink, or glass, or cup, or eating utensil. I just got all the clean items out of the dishwasher today. I have a lot of trouble emptying or filling the dishwasher. It would help if the dishwasher were next to the sink for filling. As it is, the dishwasher is four feet from the sink! I do both as I am able. I did fill it as the day went and emptied it all at once. But, now is not then.

      Delete
  2. I have made lime poke cake for St. Patrick's Day when the kids were younger. I also sent in some poke cupcakes to school for the holiday. My kids used to love jello poke cakes, but now, their taste buds have grown a bit more sophisticated. If I were to bake a cake from a mix, maybe 1/3 of it would get eaten, the rest would grow stale.
    I have also made a tres leches cake, in which I poked holes to get the milk mixture to absorb into the cake. I've also made a coconut cake which required me to poke holes in my cake and pour in a cream of coconut mixture. It's been a long time, so I don't quite remember the method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B.,
      If I could stand lime jello, I would make one for St. Patrick's Day instead of this one. Okay, so this cake may be for unsophisticated tastes. I have not made one in 30 years, but I just had a hankering for it. I might make a different kind another time, but I don't need cake at all.

      Delete
  3. Making 300+ meatballs is quite a feat. Did you bake them or cook them in a pan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne,
    These were 3 partial bags of Armour's. Well, two whole bags and part of the other bags. They had thawed. Even though they were cooked before frozen and sold, I felt baking again would be the way to go. Once, I made about 100 meatballs and that was a feat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Kim,
      I have only had strawberry, but I will take your word for it.

      Delete
    2. What is poke cake?
      I’m intrigued! x

      Delete
  6. My Grandmother used to make a delicious strawberry poke cake. I haven't had that in many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      The ones I made had strawberries in them. Now, there is no strawberry in the cake, just jello.

      Delete
  7. Please put up the recipe for poke cake, Linda, I’ve never heard of it! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is Poke Cake?
    I’m intrigued! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Basically, you bake a cake and poke holes in it. I will put up the recipe.

      Delete
  9. What is poke cake?
    I’m intrigued! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother tried to make a poke cake one Christmas back in the 1970's. But, it was to be made with Jello pudding, not regular jello. My mother made holes in the cake, poured the liquid jello in and let it set. I will never forget when she tried to lift it from the counter, it must have weighed 10 pounds! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll pass on the poke cake as well, but if you enjoy, have at it! I wonder if you could divide the cake mix (if using a mix) and jello in half, or if making form scratch, cut recipe i n half, and only make a small cake. Any full cake would get wasted here. Even with giving away cupcakes, we still could not get through a full cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      LOL...I never made one without four people eagerly waiting to eat it. I keep thinking we will waste most of this.

      Delete
  12. I have not made or had a poke cake. I've seen them made and they look good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      They are delicious. I cannot wait to get this one made.

      Delete
  13. I remember making them quite often in the early 1970's to the early to mid 1980's. But haven't made one in years. I used to make it with white (or yellow if I didn't have white) boxed cake mix, and strawberry jello. It seems I didn't put as much water in the jello as I would have if it was just for jello, so it was thicker when poured over cake and and went down into the poked holes. I remember using Cool Whip for icing and putting some halved strawberries on top for decoration. I haven't fixed it for years because it would just be my husband and I eating it. Maybe I will make it sometime (after Covid times) when my grandson comes to visit again. He may not even eat it. They eat healthfully at their house. He is used to drinking fake milk made of peas. When I saw that I just couldn't get over Pea Milk. Peas have never ever been a favorite vegetable of mine, and I can't imagine drinking some sort of milk like substance made of peas, gag-a-licious to me.

    Everyone should taste poke cake sometime, in warm weather, I remember it being it quite refreshing, since the way I make it, it's a refrigerator cake.

    I cleaned out storage drawer a while back and discovered box after box of jellos in colors other than strawberry (which is the only one we like). Some of the boxes were a year old, some were 4 years old! And then it dawned on me, they had been purchased for various colonoscopies. I threw them away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You remember correctly about how to make the poke cake. However, my recipe back then had strawberries in the cake. None of the recipes now have them inside the cake.

    Since I am allergic to peas, I never eat anything with pea protein in it. I am quite sure they put sugar in to cut the pea taste. Yuck!

    Since it is up around 70F, it is warm enough for this cake...lol.

    I tried to use some old Jello, and it was awful. I eat red Jello--strawberry, cherry, black cherry,etc.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...