Thursday, February 25, 2021

What is Happening with Tommy?

 It is hard to believe what Tommy just did. It is so out of character. Maybe I have had a good influence on him. Or, maybe not. 

I went to the bathroom and was going to throw the tp into the little trash can I keep for just that purpose. But, it was not there. I asked Tommy where it was. He had just emptied the large kitchen trash can, so I figured he had emptied the bathroom one into the kitchen one in order to take both outside. So, I asked where the bathroom trash can was now. He said, maybe on the counter and went to the bathroom and said he emptied it and forgot to put it back by the commode. Okay. 

Then, I heard lots of rattling around. I let this go on for about ten minutes before I cared enough to see what he was doing. Well, he had a box of coat hangers from the hall linen closet. He was trying to separate them but I could see no order. I suggested he bring them where he could sit and have more room. He did. 

This is the box of coat hangers I wondered about when I came here. He was saving them. Of course, all his clothing is on hangers. So, he ranted a bit back then. Today, he discarded more than half of them. We could toss them, give them to thrift store, or put them out with a FREE sign. Neither of us wants them in the trash. He said the thrift store will not want them. I am for a sign in the yard. 

I had to convince him to keep four wire hangers. I think they are useful and he thinks they are worthless. Then, I heard more noise! Oh, I asked him were he was going to keep the "keeper" coat hangers. He said in a bedroom. I asked him why he did not put them back into the hall closet. He said he thought I might want to keep things in there. Well, last year, he forbade me to put anything in the linen closet, but I put four jugs of ALL on the floor and he never said a word.  

After another ten minutes, I decided to see what was happening for the second time. He was in the bathroom with his reacher dragging things from under the sink. He threw out a huge bag of things, maybe 10 gallons of stuff, including a small bucket. I would have gotten the bucket but since it was a cheap one and probably 20 years old, I figured it would crack with use. 

Earlier today, he headed out the door with his reacher. I asked him where he was going. "Outside to pick up trash." That was a shock. When I first came here, there was dryer lint all over the yard and in different states of decay. He said that is where he wanted it and I should not worry. I told him I would pick it up when he threw it down. Suddenly, there was no more lint in the yard.  I did not question. I still don't know what he does with lint. 

So, it is still Wednesday night as I write. I got everything done except for the Strawberry Poke Cake. I baked ten thighs and froze nine thighs for meals for Tommy. I also froze about 20 meals of meatballs for us. There is enough cooked cabbage for another two meals. 

Today, I wanted to go to an independent drug store for something on sale. The place was 90% gift shop and very nice. As I left the store, I noticed a bulletin board with cards and notes for services. I took down the name of a woman who cleans homes. So, she is coming Monday. 

Since she is coming, maybe I can convince Tommy to declutter under the kitchen sink. I was forbidden to touch anything there. Of course, he did throw away lots of what the plumber removed. He realizes what he does, he does not have to pay someone else to do. Of course, paying someone to clean has nothing to do with what we do not want to do, just what we cannot do. Decluttering is something we mostly can do. 

I am not sure what engendered all this decluttering, but it all occurred spontaneously and before I contacted anyone to clean this time. Maybe this is turning around. 

19 comments:

  1. I have taken wire hangers back to the dry cleaners before. They re-use them for laundered dress shirts. Some cleaners will even give you specially shaped triangular boxes to hold a great many hangers neatly if you ask for them.

    Maybe or even obviously your presence is having a salutary effect on Tommy. Good for you! You are helping to make the world a better place just by being in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      I will look into the hanger return. Well, I am trying to do what is best for all. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I never understand men and their reasoning for holding on to odd things. Glad he is letting you help declutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Agreed. But, he must have seen a bunch of broken stuff he did not need.

      Delete
  3. Wow. That's great. I wish my husband would get the declutter bug. I took out 6 bags of my stuff to donate. Then we had extra food that had been given to us that we can't use - my husband because of his diet and me allergies. We ended up adding to it and took a big bag and big box to three families with kids. My husbands office is a huge mess. But in my opinion he will never clean it up. He doesn't like to get rid of stuff. I probably keep more than I should but am learning to let a few things go. Take care and enjoy the progress! You are a good influence on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I try to be a good influence! Good job on the decluttering and donating food.

      Delete
    2. I refuse to hang on to perfectly good food when someone else is happy to get it and can use it. I always try to keep a few goodies or cereals and things that I get on sale for the boxes too. I post on Reno/Sparks Yes it's Free and this last time I had 3 families within about 5 minutes in need. It makes me feel good to help out especially the ones who have kids. Take care. Just read you latest post and you aren't feeling well. Hoping you have a quick recovery and back to normal soon.

      Delete
    3. Crystal,
      Oh, yes, I give it away, too. We gave a whole box to the woman across the street whose father died and she lives there with two little children under four.

      Delete
  4. You are a good influence on him he just does not want to admit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      You are correct. Remember, he has never been married, so he swears I am trying to change him.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear he is coming around. I know from my own personal experience, that once I clean up a small area I notice how another area needs love. And the better an area looks the more I want to continue on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladybug,
      He is cleaning cavities, so I suppose he remembers another junk receptacle. This was all spontaneous, with nothing from me to remind him.

      Delete
  6. I just love your Tommy stories and all the little wins. Change him? Of course you are changing him. Thank God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      He has all these preconceived notions of how male/female relations should be. From the beginning, he railed at any suggestion of difference in his actions. Yes, thank God.

      Delete
  7. You've obviously gotten Tommy under your spell after all this time! Good for you (and for him)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I am too old for training a man! This is a young woman's job.

      Delete
  8. Leading by example remains the best way to lead others - good for you !

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...