Thursday, March 25, 2021

Breast Lump and Cleaning Person

 Wednesday night

The woman to clean called and is coming at noon on Thursday to clean. Of course, we are getting ready for her, not cleaning but moving things around--returns in car, all the dirty clothes not in hamper are put there, general straightening. So, it is just less cluttered around here. 

Today, my nap was until 4 and I wanted to stay until 5, but once he left me alone, I decided to get up 20 minutes later. It seems like I did absolutely nothing. I was sitting here at almost 7 pm telling Tommy I did not feel like cooking, and, moreover, I did not want to cook. 

He reminded me we had chopped chicken left, something I thought he had eaten. And, he reminded me of vegetables and wasn't there a chunk of chicken. Then, having been reminded, we had the two chicken leftovers, green beans, and salad. Neither of us could find the tomatoes or remember if they were eaten. So, that was dinner with a bit of ice cream for me. Milk and applesauce will be my evening snack. I have my square of 85% chocolate. Did I say I have lost a pound a day for four days now.

We watched Resident Alien tonight. I love that show. Next week is the season finale. Maybe I can see a rerun of the first episode and another I missed. 

About 20 years ago, a routine mammogram found a spot, a lump that I thought was just a place did hurt a bit and that I could not feel. I was told "let's watch it." That made me nervous. It started hurting and I could feel it.  Then, when the doctor wanted a biopsy, the surgeon couldn't find it. I was prepped for surgery, sedated and so groggy they had to take me in a wheelchair to get another mammogram. They had to help me off the bed and into chair and hoped I would not fall out. Well, back in for a mammogram, they found the lump was gone! I was sent home to sleep off the sedation. Now, it is time for another mammogram.

Funny thing--when the surgeon asked me to show him the lump, I could not get my hand to work or even to touch my breast. The arm and hand were useless. That irritated everyone. ??? 

Then, slowly the excruciating pain and lump returned. This was in the area between breast and underarm, edge of breast. Last year, I was supposed to have mammogram to see why the lymph node was inflamed. Then, covid happened. 

Since the advent of vaccines for covid 19, I am making appointments for things I delayed. Well, the lump is not there and there is no constant pain. I was pondering why this would happen. I now wonder if the large doses of Vitamin D have had a healing effect on the node. My tests showed D was way too low. I need to discuss this with the breast doctor. Yes, she is just a breast doctor! I never knew there was any such thing.  ???

I give Tommy choices--does he want to do something or just have the cleaner, Kim, do it. There are things neither of us can do. He scrubbed the sink as I related. Now, he is scouring a Corningware casserole. So far, he has spent over 30 minutes, time he will not have to pay someone else. I can scrub, but standing to do so is excruciating. I have to lean all over the sink just not to fall. The stovetop is all Kim's! lol 

The new vacuum cleaner was used by me for less than five minutes, so she will have a new machine to use. She called to say she could come Thursday and see if I had cleaning products. I do but can buy whatever else I need before she comes next week.  She won't be here until noon on Thursday, but we are doing what we can tonight. Thursday, I will sleep as long as I can. If I get sleep enough to get up earlier than noon, I am going to try cooking up all that chicken and freezing it. 

Thursday

I slept from 2 am to 5:30 am and could not get back to sleep. sigh So, at 7 am or so I brought in my laptop and tried to read news. At 9:30 I finally got up. Around 10:30 Kim called and cancelled because of the weather. I fully expected this as tornado warnings are being issued. So, that is that. 

Today, I finally started the cabbage soup. The recipe I saw called for pasta and spices I don't have. So, this will be what I like and have. .. carrots 2 cups, potatoes 2 medium, 1 onion roughly cut, as much chopped cabbage as I can get in the crock pot...lol. Salt and pepper seem like enough to me. I have Polish or some kind of sausages, but I don't want it in the soup. So, they will be on the side if Tommy wants them. I don't. Anything else? 

In preparation for storms, I always try to have dishes washed and laundry done. The dishes are half way through the one-hour cycle.  I did not get black clothes done, but I will be okay there. There is plenty of food that does not need cooking. We have flashlights. I only worry about the freezer and food. 

Have you had any experience with a lump in your breast? Have you made cabbage soup? What do you put in the soup?  

16 comments:

  1. When I was younger I made an excellent cabbage soup. All veggies. I put a can of tomatoes in mine. My sister in law asked for the recipe. Now she swears it is cabbage soup that she came up with the recipe for it. She does that all the time. Suddenly everything was her idea. She is a vegan and not a normal one. I could deal with that but an annoying one and she thinks she has the right to tell everyone how they are eating wrong. I was a vegetarian for 9 years in my first marriage and they (sister in law and brother) ate meat at the time and made fun of me. Now they know it all. I have had breast lumps and had to have ultrasounds but never a biopsy. Went with my friend once to her biopsy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I thought about putting in a can of tomatoes, but have not. It is still cooking in the crock pot. I just hate vegetarians who preach to me. It makes me want to eat them. It is funny that she says she invented cabbage soup. My father always said we ate his spaghetti recipe. Come to find out, his first wife said he claimed the same recipe was his. I don't think I have ever had an ultrasound for a lump, just mammograms. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Haven't made cabbage soup before. Had a cyst in my breast removed many years ago when I was in my 20's. I have also been catching up on appointments that were put off due to covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      Having a lump in your 20s must have been scary. It will take me months to get all the appointments in and done.

      Delete
  3. I've never had anything breast related but I should get a mammogram, my mum has had breast cancer twice and my aunt died from it.
    I made cabbage soup once, I think it had sausage and potato. I must not have liked it because it didn't become a regular menu item.

    I hope you get your tests done without drama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I had a genetic test--Braca1, I think. You can get that. It was offered to me, free of charge. There is probably a program you might be eligible for. Check it out. Tommy loves the soup. I am going to eat some now. Thanks. I just want to get most of them done since they are all for one kind of cancer or another.

      Delete
    2. I like cabbage cooked with ham and onion and noodles. It makes a good filling meal, good for at last two dinners for two, plus some leftover for my husband's late night snack. I guess I could turn it into soup by adding some chicken broth to it, but I like it not soupy.

      Delete
    3. susie,
      That sounds good! I have lots left. Mine is very soupy. Or, brothy.

      Delete
  4. Yes I had a lump once and they did a biopsy. It turned out to be nothing. I only had a mammogram once more after that and am long overdue. But those mammograms give off radiation so I'm not thinking I missed anything much.I do make cabbage soup and I love it. I usually put beans, carrots, cabbages, tomatoes, diced tomatoes, a bit of sugar and some vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I am overdue, too. The radiation bothers me, too. I probably won't add those things since I thought it was tasty. But, now, I have more ideas.

      Delete
    2. I should mention that I don't always add (navy) beans but started doing this when I make the soup for dinner without any other meat. The beans of course add the protein and is good for diabetics.

      Delete
    3. Joyful,
      Okay, thanks. I love navy beans.

      Delete
  5. I forgot to mention the chicken stock, salt and pepper but I thought this part was a given. I just make up my own recipe (mom probably made it like this and I just copied more or less). I think it's Russian style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Nothing was a given for me as I had never had it or made it. lol

      Delete
  6. I have found that I need to limit caffeine intake for a couple of weeks before a mammogram or else it is very painful. My mother had the same issue. She finally got to the point (in age) that she decided she was done with mammograms so stopped having them. There was no arguing with her.

    Hubby likes to put a ton of red pepper flakes in his cooked cabbage. It's too hot for me! He just had it one night last week, but not because of St. Patrick's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I have never heard that about caffeine, but it is good to know. I hope your mother made the right decision. Mammograms never hurt me.

      This cabbage soup had no salt and no pepper, just a can of chicken broth. And, we both loved it. I am not a fan of lots of spices and especially not hot pepper flakes.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...