Sunday, April 11, 2021

New, Minimal Exercise Goal and Plantain

Per the plan, I did nothing at all on Saturday. And, I did it well. I actually slept for almost six hours on Friday night. Amazingly, my feet were barely swollen when I awoke. I sleep through all the storms with thunder. 

Exercise 

The elliptical exerciser did not work out. The pedal exerciser was not right. So, I figured out something I can do with no equipment. 

I push Tommy's walker against the front door and "march" in place. He uses a stopwatch on his phone and times me. When he said "30 seconds," I was shocked. I already felt like I was going to pass out from the exertion. I could only last one minute. That was Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

My next goal is to do one minute on the hour each day and at least five times. Don't snicker or belittle. It is hard for me. And one minute five times each day is more than I have been exercising. 

There are two egg cartons here, waiting for recycling. We are trying to find places to recycle cans and plastic bottles. I hate putting them in the trash. 

Every time we go to Cullman, gas is ten cents cheaper per gallon than it is here, so Tommy is eager to save money and we stop. 

I have a plantain and now cannot figure out how to cook it. Someone said, "Just bake it like a potato." I see so many recipes on the internet and need to know how you cook it and like it. I am not looking for a recipe with a dozen ingredients. And, I don't want to waste it. This plantain is huge. One of the things that confuses me is some recipes are for "plantain bananas."  Is there such a thing? 

Okay, I am off to my 10 am one-minute exercise. 

15 comments:

  1. Just slice your plantain and fry it in the pan - I usually have mine as a side dish with thai curry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud you for your persistence on finding an exercise that works for you . Any movement will help nuild strength and your creativity is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam. That means a lot to me. I am certainly trying to help myself.

      Delete
  3. Well done on your determination to exercise. It really is best to start slowly; if you exhaust yourself too much, you'll get discouraged and stop doing it. Once you get to where it's not as hard to do that one minute, you can try adding 10 or 20 seconds to it. It may take a while, but you'll build up your strength eventually. I've been working on the same thing for the last 3 months, and have made slow but steady progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chipmunk,
      Thanks. If I exhaust myself, I will not be able to do it for several days, and that would be detrimental to progress. Ten extra seconds is something I intend to try and increase by that much each time I increase. I hope you continue to progress.

      Delete
  4. Good job on finding an exercise that works for you!
    I have never had a plantain. Do tell us how you prepared it and what you thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      Thanks. I knew I was losing ground fast. I think I might just fry it unless I hear of something else that suits my fancy. I will let you know.

      Delete
  5. good for you.
    Some exercise is better than none. Some minutes daily is a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. urspo,
    Thanks. It is all I can manage, and even then, I am exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you just slice them and fry in oil. Some roll them in either sugar or brown sugar before frying. Makes a sweet dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your exersice plan is great, I really worry about your inability to stand for any length of time. Anything you do to improve your health is great! Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I shared with you about my husband and his dementia. The neurologist we are seeing requested a home health nurse and a physical therapist to assist us. John has sat in his recliner for the better part of a year and had lost his strength and was very unsteady on his feet. The PT gave him a sheet with very simple exercises that could be done while sitting and as he gained strength he moved on to some exercises to be done while standing and holding on to the kitchen sink. We saw rapid improvement in his strength but are still working on his balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      That is great he is improving. I need that sheet of exercises!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...