Saturday, April 10, 2021

Groceries Last Week

 2 Campbell's Cream of Mushrooom

2 Campbell's Cream of Chicken

 Marinated Artichoke Hearts

Dawn Fresh Mushroom Steak Sauce

1 can Coffee Coke

10 bananas

1 small can Underwood Deviled Ham

strawberries

jerky for car eating for Tommy

red grapes

tricolor rotini 

Heinz Ketchup

Italian Dressing

1 Hamburger Helper

I suppose the strawberries, bananas, grapes, and the jerky were the only things we need. Okay, maybe not the jerky. 

The "cream of" soups have a 2023 date on them, so possibly will not be used for a year or more. They were $0.86/can. I don't know the total price, but think it is less than $20.  

I bought my first and only HH in 1971 when they first came out. Okay, now,  50 years later I have bought my second one. It was on sale! 

We don't eat a lot of salad dressing on our salads. and each have a separate bottle of our favorite. I refuse to buy huge bottles anymore because they take up too much room. I have determined that condiments can only live on the door! And, that means smaller bottles of salad dressing. This one was 16 ounces, so not so small, but not the size of the one I bought for Tommy.

Friday night, we had for dinner--steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and meatballs. I put nothing on my vegetables and they were delicious. I know Tommy surreptitiously salts his very well. 


10 comments:

  1. I like eating vegetables without anything on them either. They taste so good like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I am not sure why folk think all sorts of spices improve vegetables, raw or cooked. Good for us.

      Delete
  2. 10 bananas??? How do you keep them from turning black or do you just eat them very fast? I think we also may have bought 1HH in the past 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      I eat them black. I have 6 right now. I want to make some banana bread, so I am letting them get really ripe. What is 1HH?

      Delete
  3. Have you ever tried Campbells low sodium mushroom soup? One can has 45 ng sodium. It is ready to serve so kind of liquidy but I use it in casseroles and add a bit of corn starch to thicken. Works good for my husbands low sodium diet. I also found out I can use a very small amt salad dressing and mix it with sesame or olive oil-use abt 3/4 TBSP oil. we love it that way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      I have tried low-sodium Campbell's soups. I use no sodium green beans when I use the soup. I like olive oil, so might try that.

      Delete
  4. I also prefer plain veggies. I only use stick cinnamon when I cook carrots and butternut squash, but I hate eating dressing or sauces with my veggies (probably cause we never used any dipping or other sauce with it, where I come from)

    I buy lots of bananas and artichokes too. We all eat a banana daily.

    When I use canned veggies, I always rinse the veggies in a colander to help reduce the amount of sodium. I read about this in a magazine years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Goose,
      I only sprinkle cinnamon on butternut squash. Tommy really likes that and had never had it. We never used dipping sauces, either. But, a few with even fewer vegetables I have learned to eat. I never rinse canned vegetables unless it is black beans. I do drain all the juice before heating green beans. In addition, i try to use low- or no-sodium canned vegetables. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Tommy often makes me smile, the way you portray him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      LOL, well, I cannot watch him every minute of the day.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...