Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Gardens, Rain, Chipmunk, Delta, Endocrinologist

The neighbor had someone mow and use the weedeater on the lawn today as it was threatening to storm. It did rain quite a bit when he quit. He ran with the push mower after he finished with the riding mower. Tommy said he was running with the weedeater as it rained on him, getting back to his truck. So, it will look nice and neat for a week. 

That is the only bad thing about living in such a rainy place--grass needs mowing all the time. Of course, the tomatoes and other vegetables thrive, too.  In about a month or less, people will be begging for rain and gardens will be too dry. 

Because all vegetables were eaten except for two grape tomatoes and two tiny squashes, I did not plant one thing this year! I may have figured out what was eating my vegetables. Yesterday, I saw a little striped chipmunk scurrying along the ground under the ramp. I suppose they eat vegetables. They did eat all the roots and tops of my Hosta! 

I have only seen one cat in this neighborhood, one sighting, I mean. Cats will get the chipmunks and kill them. So, there are no natural predators for the pests. I wonder why so few people have outdoor cats. I have never felt this way before, but I am not going to fight to keep things alive and watch ripe vegetables disappear. 

Remember I bought Jimmy Dean sausage because Tommy cannot stand the Johnsonville sausage? Well, today I cooked the package of Jimmy Dean sausage and he loved it. So, I will have that ready for him to eat on mornings we leave town early and he would ordinarily stop at Hardee's. I hated to insist he eat something he did not like. He sort of enjoys stopping for his sausage biscuit. So, now he can eat this sausage he enjoys with bread at home unless I buy or make biscuits. 

When I make him a salad, he complains I give him too much. So, now, I tell him to go fix a salad and he comes back with a huge plate full of salad, three times what I serve him. He found carrots shreds and uses it all the time, along with salad greens of all sorts. He keeps all things salad very organized in the refrigerator. Plus, I keep other vegetables sliced or diced for him. Tonight, we are having spaghetti and meatballs and salad. He will have sliced zucchini, bell peppers, and carrot shreds on top. 

He hates mushrooms, so I have a little jar of mushrooms that will go into my sauce once I dish it up. His will not have a mushroom at all. I would hate it if someone insisted I should eat something I hate. But, I tell him to pick out mushrooms and I will eat them. 

Although I have had some positives from my endocrinologist, I am replacing him! He is not giving me refills on items I need. He has started to become lippy with me, too. I do not need a smart mouth when I am in need of help and advice. At my last visit, he did not refill anything even though we discussed what I needed! My friend told me who he goes to, and I will try him. 

More cases of covid19 are seen here in Alabama. I was going to go and have the stents put in arteries. Now, I am once again hesitant to go anywhere near the hospital. Of course, Alabama is the least vaccinated state in the Union at 32%.  

Have you found that striped chipmunks get into your garden? How do you eliminate them? Are you hesitant once again after the Delta variant has become more prevalent? What percent of your state is fully vaccinated? 

13 comments:

  1. We have tons of squirrels here,and have adjusted our garden area numerous times to avoid them eating our vegetables. What we've found is that we cover our starters with a garden netting. The squirrels will happily dig up our starters. Once they've gotten a bit bigger, we remove the netting & the squirrels tend to stay away. We also made really high raised beds last year, and the squirrels can't climb them. We positioned them in a spot where the squirrels can't jump on or off of them. I'm sure they will eventually find a way to get to our stuff. We're in a terrible drought (wish we had your rain!), so the animals are evolving to allow them to find more sources of water.

    Our county is in the top five levels of vaccination in the US. I believe we're in the high 80s, for eligible people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HP,
      None of my plants were tiny, Oh no, they waited until there was fruit and ate it. I find it hard to believe that squirrels not get something high. I am lucky to get plants into the pots or planting boxes out back, so adjusting them planting places is not something I can do. Neither can Tommy. But, I am glad you finally thwarted them. I forgot where you live. I can send water...lol. The hospitalizations are up drastically here. Looks like another shutdown for us. Even MS is ahead of us for vaccinations.

      Delete
  2. My daughter likes the Jimmy Dean sausage too. I had been buying the Swaggertys sausage but one day when I made the Jimmy Dean, she said how much she liked it.

    It is so frustrating to work hard to have a garden and then have animals come and eat it all. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I had had JD sausage and knew it was good, but bought the other as it was on a really good sale. Now, I know.

      I was very upset as I got so little for so much. I am not up to replanting just to have it all eaten.

      Delete
  3. Because of Delta I remain masked when I go out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We only have 40% and it scares me for idiots (yes idiots) that are not vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Idiots is correct. They say we could have another variant because it keeps spreading.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure the doctor will be HAPPY you are headed to a new one. Doctors shouldn't have to deal with people thinking they know better than them. He's sighing in relief right now. It's funny how you know more than your doctors time and time again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BlogReader,
      Once again, you have shown how stupid you are. When a doctor is worried about my blood pressure being too low and then gives me a stronger blood pressure med than I am now taking, he is an idiot and I cannot trust him. When the office staff fail to note my meds correctly and forget to give him messages, I have had enough. It is my body. F...off weirdo.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the laugh. Your house collapsed due to neglect, leaving a junk pile neighbors have to look at, you live at a friends house where you constantly complain and criticize him for all to see, yet never seem to plan on leaving, you buy fast food and games at yard sales, but take from the food bank, you are somehow smarter than every doctor you see and have a constant string of complaints. I, my dear, am not the weird one here. NONE of that is normal. But if calling me a name helps you get it together, fine with me!

      Delete
    3. BlogReader,
      My house did not collapse! I did not neglect it. My yard has no junk pile. What kind of drugs do you take. It is perfectly mowed! You need a hobby besides making things up! I never said I was smarter than any doctor, but I do know when I am getting the wrong meds. It is my right to complain on my blog. You are an idiot. Fast food helps keep his blood sugar up and we use coupons and drink water. So what? I can buy a game for $1 and I can buy things to resale. Why do you care? So, the food bank knows all this. What is it to you? I have it together, but you have too much time on your hands and have been a years long pain for me. Go away. And, how secure is your life once I report you? I know who you are! And, he will side with me every time against you.

      Delete
  6. Here in our little province, we are at just about 80% first vaccine, and over 50% for second. But a lot of people between 18-30 are not getting vaccinated... I've double vaxed, first pfiser, second moderna...

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...