Monday, July 5, 2021

Hemming Men's Pants

 Okay, watching The Bonfire of the Vanities, so this may be short. I never saw it, so now I can. 

We were going to get my mail and do other things in my town today, but last night, I changed my mind. Yes, still recovering from the heat on the 4th. 

Tommy told me two sizes he might need in pants length and width. The smaller waist was available yesterday. Today, I went to get the larger waist size. The problem is the pants are both same length and an inch longer than what he wears. He always wears his pants way too short. Well, I got HELL for bringing out the longer length, same length that I got yesterday. 

He like high water pants, even on suits. He says he sees the pants are too long in the front. Well, he is looking down and sees they break over his shoes. There is no way he will understand how pants leg bottoms fit and look. He thinks they must hang and not touch the front of his shoe! ???

He disagrees that pants legs can be hemmed on an angle, front shorter than back. He knows more about sewing than I do. He does not even have a full-length mirror. How can he see his pants bottom? A man cannot lean over to judge the length of his pants. 

He has never bought a pair of unhemmed pants and had the store hem them. He has never had a pair of pants shortened by store or lengthened. It is impossible to talk to him about this. 

I am still getting HELL for his pants being too long. But, I can hem. He does not care. All his pants hems must fall above his shoe top in the back, that way they don't wrinkle on his shoe in the front! 

Have you ever hemmed men's dress pants? Have you ever hemmed them longer in back than in front? Have you ever known anyone who wanted pants to start out high-water? Have you ever had any role in getting a man's pants hemmed? Men, do you prefer your pants ankle length to keep the front of the pants from wrinkling on your shoe/

14 comments:

  1. Could you take a picture of him standing and show it to him? That way he could see the length and how it looks when he is standing upright. Or take him to a walmart and have him stand in front of one of their full length mirrors. My husband wanted his longer until I showed him the damage on the pants hem on the back from dragging the ground. Men can be stubborn lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HHH,
      Now, the picture is a good idea! He said his pants get dirty if they are too long. When I pointed out the front was touching his shoe tops and the back was touching nothing since he walks on balls of his feet and his heels never touch the ground, it just made him angrier...lol. Then, last night he tried them on and was all happy. No more cursing.

      Delete
  2. I don't touch hemming men's pants - I let the professionals do that. But I really hate to see a man whose trousers are way too short. We always used to say to "put some jam (jelly) on your socks and invite your trousers down for lunch"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I always hemmed husband's dress pant, suit pants, as well as for other people. So, it is really not a problem for me.

      Delete
  3. If he likes his pants short he is currently right in style. The trend now is to wear them shorter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      "Trend" is the key. Wearing pants that fit around the butt is a trend, too. We saw a guy playing the piano on TV. Even when he stood, above his ankles was exposed. That is not the look he wants at all, and he commented on the too-short pants.

      Delete
  4. I have hemmed khaki type dress pants for my dh in the past. No high waters for him. They need to be touching the top of the shoe and not dragging in the back. I have always hemmed any pants straight in front and back. I was going to suggest a full length mirror so he can see what they look like, but a picture is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I am sure your husband looks nice when you hem his pants. I need a full length mirror for me, so I may get one.

      Delete
  5. I remember tailors asking whether I wanted a “break” in the trouser leg or not. No break would mean the pant leg just grazed the top of the instep of the shoe. A break meant it was a little longer than that. Nobody ever sugg dyed high water, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      At Tommy's age and your age, so one will ever suggest high water pants!

      Delete
  6. Yes many times and some men just wear their pants too short and he is one of them. Tell him I said you are doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I knew you would answer...lol. I will tell him.

      Delete
  7. You are a better person than I.
    I would have told Tommy to get a tailor or
    do what I say (hemming them as you see needs doing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      He does not like change. I have hemmed so many pair that it makes my head swim.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...