Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Hummingbird Developments

 Tuesday night, I took out my bag I keep my medicine in, prescription meds, otc meds, a bandaid or two, Qtips, etc. As I pushed a pill through the back of a bubble pack, it fell into the bag. Well, I was too ill to find the pill, but I had to find it and now. 

As I removed the bottles one by one, I hoped to find the pill right where the bottle had sat on the bottom. I did find a half dozens pills and a cough drop that had escaped and were hanging out in the bottom of the bag. I put these on the table beside me and finished taking the meds. 

In an hour or so, I decided to use the cough drop, thinking it was Hall's Mentholyptus. I really needed it for throat, sinuses. No, it was a Luden's cough drop. But, I did not recognize it even though it did not look like Hall's. The cough drop was in my mouth, so I allowed it to stay because it was a taste of my childhood. Luden's cherry is the best!  Sadly, I only found one cough drop!

When I was in 7th and 8th grade, there was a "bookstore" in the one building school where we could go and buy pencils, paper and other school supplies. AND, we could buy Luden's Cough Drops. I had to get money from my mother to buy a box. And, we did not have to have a note to buy a box for a nickel. 

Tommy said they had to go to the office with a note from a parent to get one cough drop. Well, just now he filled me in--the school would give a cough drop, just one. Okay, hours later, he has changed the story. No one gave kids a cough drop unless it was brought from home and handed over to the teacher. The office would sell one cough drop to a child with a note from home. 

Hummingbird Developments

1) Wednesday morning, we had a new hummingbird come to visit. The first two were dull brown. The new one has a white breast and head. I think there must be a fourth one with a white band around the neck. We also had our first 'dogfight' between hummingbirds. It was such a sight with all the swooping and diving. 

2) Tommy was on the ramp returning from the mailbox when a hummingbird flew right past him on the way to the feeder. So, I supposed they are becoming accustomed to our presence. At first, when we moved inside the house, they were spooked and flew away. Now, we walk around inside and they come and go or sit and drink. 

As all these antics occur, I give a play by play and also serve as the color commentator. It's hard work!

And, finally, the food we give them is disappearing fast. Today is the first day I could even tell they had even drunk any.

Did your sell or give out cough drops? What brand? Could you buy cough drops at your school? How much did they cost? Were they a great alternative to candy during class, which, of course, was not allowed?

11 comments:

  1. We were only allowed to have cough drops if we had a note from our parents. They had to be brought from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Thanks. That seems to be the way it was for him as he never bought them at school.

      Delete
  2. I always had my asthma inhaler in my purse. (It was a Primateen inhaler back then, available over the counter). I would have passed out before I would have let any other kids or anyone see me use my Primateen inhaler. I never had a prescription inhaler until 1975, I had a box of Ludens in my purse for snacking purposes more than coughing but never got caught getting one out, or sucking on one.

    I'm glad your hummingbirds are getting acquainted with you. If you listen really, really closely you can sometimes hear their very, very high pitched little peeps and if they fly by close enough, you will hear the buzz of their ultra fast wingbeats. For me hummingbirds and peaches are the very best things about summer.

    I hate dropping a pill. Often it will fall into the space between the arm and cushion of my recliner. Only occasionally have I ever managed to retrieve one that goes into the other dimension that exists in and under my recliner. When I use Azythromycin and am prying it out of its little plastic bubble I have had them pop out and fall onto the floor where I can find them because I don't pry them out anywhere near my interdimensional chair.
    There are only a few in the pack, and I know I need every one of them to get rid of whatever infection I needed them for.

    I hope your ZPac is working for you and you are starting to feel better.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. susie,
    Isn't it hard to be a kid and have to hide inhaler use?! It's good to hear someone else liked those Luden's just to snack. We were allowed in the school I went to but not in high school.

    I haven't hear them yet, but I keep hoping I will. Only Tommy has been close and he swears it was a bumble bee that flew close and fast. Since I am always inside, I have not heard anything. But, I will listen when I am out.

    When I drop a pill, I give a cursory search in the folds of my clothes and maybe right beside me, but I learned a lengthy search reveals nothing. When I pull up a sofa pillow, I find them all together, like they are hiding. Tommy is always telling me he sees a pill on the floor. So, I have been more careful. Yes, I cannot lose an Azithromycin pill. I do search for those for the reason you do.

    I am feeling somewhat better, at least for part of the day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember loving those cough drops as a kid and eating them like candy. I do not remember getting or having them in school at all.

    When I was young, I had ear aches often. So often that we kept a prescription bottle of ear drops in the office. If my ear started hurting, I would ask the teacher if I could go see "Miss Jill." She was the secretary of the school. I'd go in, she's put in my eardrops and I'd go back to class with cotton in my ear and lay my head on the desk.

    Kids would ask why I didn't go home and I said that it was going to hurt anyway, so I might as well not get counted absent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      The school I went to in grades 7 and 8 was the only one where I had cough drops in school.

      I have had an earache of about 10 months now, and I would hate to be a kid with an earache. I do what I have to do because it is not going to stop hurting!

      Delete
  5. I sense cough drops don't do much but they are tasty and harmless to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you will have a lot of enjoyment watching the birds!
    My primary and high school both sold "eucalyptus lollies" which were a cough drop type of thing. They were 2cents each, those were the days. I never liked them and still don't but I do love a "butter menthol"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Butter menthol sounds interesting. Hall's Eucalyptus is not tasty, but very effective! Luden's is not effective, but delicious! I wonder what butter menthol would be. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Butter menthol is useless but delicious 🙂

      Delete
    3. Kylie,
      Thanks. If I ever see these, I will get them just to eat.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...