Sunday, July 25, 2021

New Neighbors

At first, we had two hummingbirds, both tiny brown birds. When we could see three, all three were little brown birds. Then, a hummer with a white neckband, then a hummer with a full white head and neckband. Then, one of them showed a green back. Finally, one had a red chest and then another with a redder chest marking. 

How many hummingbirds are coming here? It seems there are at least four "couples." I think I need more feeders! And, I don't have a flower in the whole yard! 

The first two hummers were exciting and boring. We saw the PBS special on hummers. Can you imagine the thrill of a highly colored hummer on a 50" screen. And, we could practically reach out and touch these three foot hummers! 

But, we were still thrilled with our little brown hummers. The one with white was a thrill, then the red-breasted one, the ruby-throated hummer was exciting, so exciting. We are easily thrilled! 

I think I need more feeders. How many do you have?

Today is the day I am finally getting a week's worth of work done. Still, I am behind. But, I got the dishwasher emptied, which took less than three minutes since I have just used dishes from it as I needed it. Mail has stacked up and I am working it down. Tommy washed clothes for me one day and I managed to hang all the wet stuff and still have many items to fold and put away. 

Saturday night into Sunday morning, I slept well. I awoke and it was 2:30 pm. I stumbled to the living room, sat and watched what Tommy had on TV. Finally, I looked at the clock and saw it was 1 pm. I went back to the bedroom and my clock said 1 pm. It appears the Kleenex I sort of tossed at the table landed covering the first number on the clock, making 12:30 appear to be 2:30. This is twice I have done this. Even with the mistake, I did sleep over 8 hours. This is the second night this week I have slept over 8 hours, so I hope this continues. I might have slept 7.5 hours, but still...  Have you ever accidentally covered your clock?

Okay, laptop is going to die unless I find the power plug that goes into the laptop power port. .

8 comments:

  1. Those are a lot of hummingbirds! Have you started naming them yet?Aren't they fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I thought it was a lot, too. Well, we have called them names, but not real names. So, maybe we will just do that.

      Delete
  2. I have three hummingbird feeders. One, hand blown glass one, and two red, plastic ones. They hang on metal poles which stick in the ground, or in a planter. I have the glass and one plastic one in the front flower garden, and a plastic one on a pole which is stuck in a pot of petunias on the back patio. The front flower garden was planted with honeybees in mind--loads of flowers which attract pollinators. It's fun to see the hummingbirds in the flowers instead of the feeders. Yesterday, one hovered right above my foot as I sat on the front porch!
    I always turn my clock over. I can't stand the light from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,
      It all sounds very nice for you and the hummers! I hear they will often land on people, so maybe yours will land on you someday.

      My brother did not like the clock light. Like I told him, I sleep with my eyes closed and don't see it. Okay, just being a smarty here. I have my own method of not seeing clock.

      Delete
  3. I have two bird feeders but no hummingbird feeders. Someone stole my feeder. Ugh. Glad you got your laundry washed. Hopefully you will get it folded and put away before long. I just finished folding mine this morning but still have to put it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I wondered if someone might steal the hummingbird feeders. Hope not. It is too bad yours was stolen! I still have one more bit of clothes to fold. All I folded before is put away. Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. I was going to tell you that the hummingbird with the red breast is called a ruby-throated hummingbird, but I see that you knew that.

    We don’t have any feeders this year but I still see cardinals, robins, black-headed cowbirds and others in our back yard near the wooded area that divides from the neighbors up the hill. Yesterday I was thrilled to see a female scarlet tanager. Where we used to live we would see lots of goldfinches, eastern bluebirds. And even an indigo bunting once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      We love birds, especially the hummingbirds.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...