Friday, July 2, 2021

Wool

 If you remember, I bought a white, wool blanket from eBay, paying $54, I think. Shipping was about $20 exorbitant, I thought. Well, I love the blanket but not the detergent in which it was washed. So, it needs to be washed since it is machine washable and dryable. The blanket is now on sale new for $149, so the good deal for me is great for my wallet. The blanket looks new. 

When I was a child, I slept under a green wool army blanket. It belonged to my mother when she was a WAC. No one else wanted to sleep under it except me. Now, it was scratchy, but I kept the sheet turned back over it so it would not touch my face. I wish I had one of those. I was only three when I started sleeping under the wool blanket. I loved it. 

At my house I had a wool blanket that was from the Navy, you know the branch of military, and it cost $1 at a yard sale. I resorted to using it next to my body and under the sheet. It was so snuggly and warm and not itchy as you might imagine. I cannot wait to sleep with this next to my this body this winter.

Thursday night, I could not face dinner preps. So, I took out meatballs from the freezer and a jar of spaghetti sauce and had a salad. Tommy was receptive to the idea. Whew! 

Just now, the whole screen turned blue! I was sucking in my breath with shrill "oh, oh, oh" and searching the keyboard because the next keystroke would delete this post. I used Ctrl+z to bring it all back, undo. Whew!

I spent a very small portion of today decluttering. We both are much happier with the state of things. This will continue! Really, it was less than 15 minutes. And, the dishwasher is still waiting on me. 

What is your "go to" meal for dinner? Do you like wool blankets?

22 comments:

  1. I have several "go to" meals, all based on what's on hand. Tuna casserole, spaghetti Bolognese, and cottage pie are three of our favorites.
    I do not like wool blankets. In fact, I cannot stand any blanket. I can only bare to sleep on white, 100% cotton sheets, with a down duvet, covered in a white, 100% duvet cover. I don't use a top sheet, as I get too hot. I also use the same type of bedding for all my kids to make sheet washing day easier. They all have double beds, and I only allow white, 100% cotton sheets and duvet covers. Some use top sheets, others don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B.,
      I knew you would answer! I get too hot, too. And, these fleece blankets people like make me sweat. These don't have to touch me to make me all damp. Funny, the wool blankets on my skin are soft. Using only white sheets and only double beds makes washing and changing sheets easy, I would think. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. And yes, I know the difference between "bare" and "bear," but m autocorrect doesn't. Hehehe--my autocorrect is the master of double entendre.

      Delete
    3. Meg,
      Don't you just hate to be made to look so ignorant by your computer? Sometimes I blush at the words I appear to type.

      Delete
  2. My go to meal when I do not feel like cooking is either sandwiches or take out.
    Wool blankets and I do not get along well at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I try not to make sandwiches most of the time so it will feel more like a meal. He usually has a sandwich for lunch. Although, some sandwiches, like BLT would be better than a meal for Tommy. But, he never complains if I do not feel like a meal. Take out is another good option here. I could do take out for every meal!

      Delete
  3. I get too hot- in fact, I bought a cooling blanket on amazon and it works great. I also turn the central air down to 71 at night but in the winter, I never sue heat so figure that compensates LOL My go to meal would be something from the freezer- probably soup. I don't buy bread often but I always have soup in the freezer. If I have bread, a grilled cheese is pretty easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan.
      I have used a wool blanket on my bed for several summers in order to stay cool! Something from the freezer absolutely works. I should freeze more soup. There is usually bread here. I burn grilled cheese because I cannot stand long enough to watch it, but we love them.

      Delete
  4. My go to when I dont feel like cooking is to make something quick and easy like scrambled eggs, frozen pizza, or macaroni and cheese. Kids dont seem to mind those nights. Lol. I then add a veggie (frozen or canned) and a fruit and call it dinner. As far as a wool blanket, I have never had one but also I get hot at night so don't think I would like one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I never got hot under the wool blanket. They breathe, unlike the fleece blanket. Scrambled eggs would be my choice of your go to dinners. My daughter could have eaten mac n cheese every night!

      Delete
  5. Thank you very much for the Ctrl+z info! Much appreciated. I like a blanket year-round but my wife thinks I am weird. Also, I had an olive drab Army blanket when I was a kid. My parents got it at an Army-Navy store along with some bunk beds for my room that my Dad painted maroon (modern name: burgundy). To be clear, he painted the bunk beds, not the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      T undo saved me. I wish I could find an army navy store!

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've ever used a wool blanket. When I don't feel like meal prep we have cereal for dinner, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      If it weren't for Tommy, I could happily eat cereal for dinner some night.

      Delete
  7. Wool blankets are so nice and warm. I always look for them when shopping second hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a lot of go to dinners. Shrimp tacos are easy and good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was a wool Army blanket at our house when I was growing up- not sure why because my dad was a Sailor. But I don’t remember anyone liking it.
    Go to meal is homemade taco meat or chili that freeze in meal size portions and then serve with either rice, tortillas, Fritos, toppings- all depending on what we have and what sounds good.
    If I’m alone- go to meal is scrambled eggs or PBJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      I do wonder where you got the army blanket. Hey, scrambled eggs cannot be beat.

      Delete
  10. no wool here not with temperatures way above body temperature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Yes, I could wear wool where you are. Check it out--wool clothing is cooling because the air goes through it and the evaporation of perspiration cools a person.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...