Tuesday, September 14, 2021

I Made a New Friend and Another Died

 When we go to the park, we end our trip by driving along the road that has ball fields on the right and houses on the left. Then, we turn around and come back along the road with the houses now on the right. We get a view into back yards which is very interesting. 

I was thrilled with the dozens of bee hives in one back yard. We, of course, decided soon that these held no bees. Last week, I commented to Tommy that I supposed they were not planning on raising bees since there is the third year the hives have been empty.

Tommy commented that they must be going to move because there were two moving vans in front of the house since he could see they from the park. I wanted something they had removed from one of their utility buildings.

We drove into our subdivision and went to the house. One of the movers went in and told the people we wanted to talk to them. The woman was very nice, telling us the were moving to Childersburg. 

I wanted to buy the four-foot Santa blow mold. She was adamant about keeping it. It was filthy, many years of filthy! But, she held firm and, of course, I gave up. We talked chickens, Hosta, and she gave me plants--Jacob in a boat. I think that is what she called the purple plant. 

As we were leaving, she said to me, "I wish I had met you sooner. Here we are moving and meet you." I felt the same way. She was very nice and friendly. Her husband had to call her away from our car to help move. He had gone straight back and gotten the Santa blow mold and stuck it into the bed of his pickup truck. I would place good money on the fact he would not tie it down and it would blow out. But, I kept my mouth shut. 

When we went to the park two days later, they had removed the hives and other items. I want one of the five foot chickens she left that are made in Mexico. I will have to see what she will take for them. No, I would never take things left in a yard where someone had moved out!

For some reason I was piddling around on my Facebook and found a curious notation under a picture of my only, that I know, transgender friend. I wonder about the notation and finally figured out Dana had died. Over several years, I had encountered her at group birthday parties and such. She was nice and I have no idea how she died in 2010.  I still talk with the other people who knew her, so I will have to find out. It is not that I am that distant from these people, but things happen to connections when you have been away as I have. 

So, I lost two friends this last week. 

Today, I announced I wanted KFC. Now, Tommy is not a person to turn down going out to pick up food. When I came here, I fully grasped how often he went out to pick up fast food! Today, it was delicious, as usual. We had to sit and wait for the biscuits. Of course, we did and were not troubled by the time involved. But, we were on the KFC lot for 45 minutes. UGH However, the meal was delicious. 

It is 8:30 pm and I now have to go in the kitchen and cook 12 large, fat, and full ears of corn. All the kernels except for meals will be frozen for this winter. I will freeze the kernels from two ears in each bag. And, then put those bags into one big bag. Thankfully, I have a huge pot for the boiling.

Monday night, I continued to crochet the granny square. I only made the first round the night before. It occurred to me last night that something was wrong, it was raveling from the start. So I pulled it out. Then, I was crocheting a very tiny cap. It fit right on my thumb! Of course, I had only made three groups of three double crochet. It was an easy fix, but silly mistake. 

My goals for everyday: crochet or do some handwork, read a physical book, listen to music, and exercise/march. Of course, I read on the computer, listen to Rod Stewart, and sporadically exercise this last month. I am going to buy an apparatus to listen to different music here in the living room. It won't be fancy, just cheap. Tommy's clock radio is awful when music is on. 

I had an appointment in Cullman today for the allergist that comes from Birmingham. Instead of my going there, he called me. He has sent me a prescription for allergies, head congestion. It is a spray. We spent so long at KFC that I just wanted to get home before dark. 

We are supposed to have four days of rain, so we will be home. How is your week coming along? Fun? Work? Education? Activities? Eating well? 

8 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of friends yesterday and how few I have now. Covid isolation did not help. I've realized that if I don't reach out to people most of them will never reach out to me. I think I need to get some new friends and relatives too, lol. Sadly I'm also finding many friends have now died so I am sorry to hear about the recent loss of friends of yours. It is difficult to see so many go on before us.

    I like your goals. they will keep you busy and happy that you are achieving something. We too are getting a fair bit of rain which we could have better used in July. My week is coming along. I am just keeping busy doing the usual errands, cleaning, cooking and a very little reading. I just came back from grocery shopping so hopefully I will also be eating well. I hope your head will clear up soon with the new medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I have wanted to talk to these people with the bee hives for almost two years! I hated to just go up and knock on their door. I should have. It is a bummer to see people I know and some I have close connection disappear.

      I am working on keeping my life and mind agile. I will give this doll "afghan" to some little girl at Christmas. It is read and sparkly. I could not resist such joyful yarn. Plus, if is soft to work with, unlike the hard yarn that I buy because it is cheap and this will basically be a toy.

      We were given corn last week, bought potatoes cheap, given cabbage cucumbers yesterday. So, we can eat well and cheaply, hopefully.

      I cannot wait for the med tomorrow. I need to clear things up before October when an antibiotic will be needed.

      Delete
  2. I’m trying again to comment but failing that will just continue to read your interesting blogs. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had honeybees on and off for about 6 years. The thing about beekeeping is it is heartbreaking, due to hive collapse and swarming. Hive collapse can happen because somebody within 2 miles decides to spray herbicide or insecticide. Swarming is a natural occurrence--unless you are watching your hives through daylight hours during swarm season, and follow them when they go so you can recapture them, you can lose your hive. (Sometimes they split, and only half the hive swarms--best case scenario.) We have two empty hives on our yard--one collapsed, one swarmed. It costs about $150 to get a nuc (new hive) so we won't be doing this again for a while. I do know that beekeepers LOVE to talk to people about bees--I've had people knock on our door, and my son, who is the beekeeper, typically reserved to the point of anxious, always lit up when talking about his girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      This guy lives right next to the park. Well, the park is in his backyard. They city spray the fence line, within a few feet of his hives. He finally gave up. He took his hives. They have two acres, so he is hopeful that he can have hives again. It is a shame that bees are being destroyed. I think it is great that your son lights up to talk about the bees.

      Delete
  4. I am just overworked my friend and wish you lived here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      You would not be disappointed. It is a long way from here to there...lol.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...