Monday, September 13, 2021

Homemade Chili Hotdog Sauce

 I found a penny, but I forgot where. 

Tommy chopped up 1.5 lbs. of 93/7 ground beef. I dipped the meat out with a slotted spoon instead of putting it into a colander and pouring boiling water over it. When I dipped it into the glass dish and looked at the bottom of the dish the next day, there was very little congealed grease. We ate part of this cooked ground beef and saved the rest for the chili hot dog sauce.  Good Deal!

I used about a pound of cooked meat, a package of Chili-O seasoning mix, and a can of diced tomatoes, and a can of petite diced tomatoes and cooked it, mainly heating it to meld flavors.  Recipe at end of post.

Tommy sampled a spoonful in a tiny bowl and declared it had too much chili spice. When I came back to get the bowl and spoon, he had only sampled a tiny bite. He never compliments food when I ask how it tastes because he has to take exactly three bites before he can decided if he likes something. He just makes excuses. 

When this was all cooked, heated, it was a bit runny, but nothing to complain about. We both had 1/4 cup of the chili sauce. We both thought 1/2 cup would be better. We had no bun this time. 

For this meal, Tommy ate the leftover cabbage and the peas. I had a salad and he may have one, too. So, we will start off with all new food on Monday. 

After we were through eating, I asked Tommy what needed to be changed about the chili hot dog sauce. He said it needed more sauce. ??? "Too runny, " I asked. No, just not enough sauce. "Too little besides the meat." He said there is meat, chili, and tomato, but not enough sauce. We had a huge argument about the meaning of sauce. I still don't know what he is talking about. I think it was a little runny and asked him if that is what he means. NO, more sauce!

This made about a quart of chili hotdog sauce and it was much cheaper per ounce than a can of the same sauce. It is enough like the bought can that I am happy with the finished product and the price. I have not dipped it up to freeze, so I cannot figure the price comparison yet.

I will freeze this in one cup portions. I am considering freezing the hotdogs in with the sauce and throwing in a slice of cheese with my portions. I used a wide-mouth pint Ball canning jar and the flat lid and ring. One cup or a bit more was put into the jar. Then, I poked the hotdogs down and almost ran the jar over, so dipped a bit out. I cut off a 1/2 slice off a chunk of Kraft cheese and stuck that in the jar. I put the lid on tight and labeled the lid  "hotdogs, chili, cheese, 9-12-21" and sat it in a door shelf in the freezer where it won't fall off. So, this is one dinner in a jar for us later. Tommy won't eat the cheese on his, so that amount of cheese will be enough for me.

I left the rest in the refrigerator for a meal this week. I did not do a price comparison for the chili sauce because I did not have the price of the cans I had on my shelf. I do believe the ingredients are healthier in mine. AND, much healthier.  Maybe you will not like chunks of tomato in your chili dog. Just use tomato sauce. You can add your own spices instead of using the French's Chili-O. Next time, I may do the same. 

Recipe:

1 lb of ground beef

1 package Chili-O chili mix

14.5 can Hunts Petite diced tomatoes

14.5 oz. can Hunt's No Salt Diced tomatoes

Brown the ground beef, add tomato products, and Chili-O.

It is done. I did not have buns, but I would have laid both hotdogs on one bun and topped with chili. 

I used the diced tomatoes because they were right in front of me in my kitchen. Maybe I should have used tomato sauce. Yes, I should have! Maybe I should have used only one can of sauce. This recipe called for a can of beans and one can of tomato sauce. I don't like beans in chili. 

So make this yours if you like. It has less extraneous additions than the can of hotdog chili sauce on the store shelves.

Do you like chili cheese dogs? Do you make your own sauce? 



4 comments:

  1. When I want tomato sauce, I like to zoom up a can or two of Hunt's stewed Tomatoes with the immersion blender. The stewed tomatoes have tomato, onion, celery, and bits of bell pepper in them and a bit of sugar. I really like the flavor of them and any sauce I make with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      The one tomato product I cannot stand is stewed tomatoes, even though everything in it is something I like. I should have zoomed the tomatoes with bits that I did use! But, standing does not work for me...lol. Maybe I should try stewed tomatoes again, zoomed, and in soup. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Ok, I think I understand what you made. I'll probably just continue to use chili.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      This product is in a can at stores. I decided I could make it cheaper. I did. And, I hade twice as much for the same price of the can. I love it.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...