Tuesday, October 26, 2021

A Big Surprise

 Today, while I was waiting for Tommy, I was in the car. He had a doctor's appointment. I had to go to the bathroom in the doctor's office, so I sat with him for two hours while he sat in the waiting room. UGH! When they finally called him back, I went to the car and learned how to take a picture with my Android, how to edit the picture, and how to mail it. None of this was difficult at all as instructions were there and it was rather self-evident, nothing tricky. 

However, I tried to open the photo just now, and I had a 404 error. I was going to post a picture tonight. So, I don't know what happened. 

I took back the SAS shoes two days under the deadline for a refund. Whew. My big toe was killing me, the tendon and arthritis, I suppose. So, I was not up to trying on a shoe. Since I had bought two pairs of shoes, that leaves me with a red sandal. 

The next stop was wonderful! But, I will skip that for a moment. I went to big box and shopped a bit. A stop at the bread store was good because we did not have to make a special trip. Then, since I ran out of milk and had none for breakfast, we stopped at Publix where I bought two half-gallons and a 16 oz. package of bacon for a whopping $8. We rarely eat bacon and here is another reason not to indulge besides our health. 

Okay, the stop I skipped. 

I had decided I was going to get a recliner with a stimulus check I saved, 

and was not going to order one over the internet where they are incredibly cheap. So, we went to La-Z-Boy galleries. My plan was to start here, maybe going to other places. 

We both tried out different chairs and I decided which was most comfortable. I thought Tommy was not going to come in even though I asked him to help me decide.  I ended up trying them all over and over. He tried the models once. I asked him what he thought and he said to get the most comfortable and the one that lifted my feet above my heart. So, he suggested the one I should get. The woman went off to get a price. She gave us a sale price. Then, Tommy decided he would get one, too.  I was asking for an additional discount for buying two, and she said No. Well, I don't give up that easily. Finally, I asked her to give us a lamp. She said NO. I told her to ask someone else. He said NO. I told him that I needed something else since we bought two. He said NO. I asked for the Halloween bowl, not the candy. He said, NO. Well, he grabbed a dish and said, "How about this?" I took it. So, I came home with a bowl in a Tiffany-blue bag. 

Neither my knees nor my back hurt getting out of this chair! It also has heat and massage. Now, heat/massage  was something I really did not want. But, the chair is has a deep seat. That helps my knees not to hurt. I will probably just lie around heated and vibrating...lol. 

It has the fat pillow I hate and the fat arms I hate. But, my knees and back don't hurt when I get up and make me hurt as I try to do things like cooking and going down the hall to the bathroom. That is a plus.  I needed the lift and my feet above my heart. So, we will see how this works.

The chair that fit was the most expensive one on the floor! Tommy said, "Well, for the next two or three Christmases and birthdays, this is your gift." "You are buying it for me?" "Yes" I am so grateful! Now, it will be delivered in December. That is a real bummer. I need it now! 

Usually, when Tommy helps me decide, he asks which is cheapest and goes with that. He went with the one that felt the best for my back and knees and put my feet above my heart. So, that was a surprise. 

So, I am a happy woman with hope for seeing a lack of pain in December. It would have been a good day even if this chair did not happen. 

I definitely wanted a chair that did not have a space between chair and leg rest. My mother died from falling on her face and breaking bones in her face after a fall. It is surmised she fell from getting caught in Daddy's chair as she got up and rushed to answer the phone. 

Oh, for the last two weeks, when I have mentioned to Tommy he should get a recliner, too, he was adamant that he did not need/want a new recliner. Then, he changed his mine. He does that often. ??? 

Do you have a recliner? Do you have any caveats or suggestions? This deal can be undone.

28 comments:

  1. We have recliners and we would have a hard time doing without them.
    I hope you like yours as much as we like ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t have a recliner, but yours sounds so nice! I hope you get it sooner than December, but I know you will be happy when you do get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It is nice! December, is a maybe, so I don't know. I think I will be happy.

      Delete
  3. I dislike the way recliners look, but we do have on in the den. It is TheHubs chair and is mostly comfortable, though I rarely sit in it. Fortunately it really does not look reclinerish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I really do dislike the look of recliners, too. They had ones that looked better, but did not put my feet high enough and were okay, not comfortable. If I did not have these problems, I would have a better looking one. I do wonder why they cannot make one that looks good and does good.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful gift. I hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a fan of the look of recliners, but they are so darn comfortable. We have two in the living room, and an additional two in seperate bedrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      They are so ugly that I thought I would never own one. Now, it looks as though they fit right in the decor. I would love to have another in the bedroom.

      Delete
  6. That is so nice of Tommy to buy yours, too! Now what are you going to do with the $ you still have to spend? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I think it was incredibly nice of him. I have been thinking about what I will spend it on. A good mattress is at the top of my list. I don't want to fritter it away.

      Delete
  7. No recliner's yet, but I imagine at some point they become a necessity. We had a lift chair recliner for mom and dad. My oldest sister "inherited" it. It helps her. You lost me with negotiations. Did you need the blue bowl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM.
      I swore I would never need one! Blue bowl? I had to look back to see. It was a Tiffany blue bag and a glass bowl. Need it? Why would you ask?

      Delete
    2. I asked because negotiating for a freebie just to get a freebie is something I'd never do. I want less "stuff' not more. Well as I said, I was quite confused with your description of your negotiation so didn't follow a bag and a bowl as separate items.

      Delete
    3. SAM<
      Remember, all my "stuff" is gone. I can use lots of stuff. It is a shallow bowl on a pedestal that I will use to place ornaments in for a Christmas decoration. I was tired or I could have gotten something better. Or, maybe not.

      Delete
  8. Wow! That is so sweet of Tommy to gift the recliner for you. I hope it gets delivered earlier than December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Goose,
      It was sweet of him. I had told him I was going to buy it with stimulus money. I doubt the chair will be delivered when they say, maybe later. I have resigned myself to that. But,if we all keep our fingers crossed.

      Delete
  9. We had a lovely leather recliner before we moved, but mom had so many accidents in it, I had to get rid of it. I still miss it! I am so happy you guys got new chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      This one is some sort of fake vinyl, forgot what the material is. I am going to keep this chair covered so nothing gets on it. Tommy intends to just live in his and not cover it. I am happy, too. Now, if they came sooner.

      Delete
  10. Thats good that you have a comfy recliner now. We have a recliner that lifts you up to stand up, I bought it a few years ago for DH after he was in an accident & had multiple rib fractures, its really comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      It does a good job for what is intended to do. I can see how this kind of chair would help him.

      Delete
  11. It was very kind of Tommy to buy that for you. He's a diamond in the rough isn't he!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      He is a diamond in the rough. I am just too old to smooth him out...lol. Thank you.

      Delete
  12. It was indeed gallant and gentlemanly of Tommy to buy that recliner for you. Geez, for a man who fusses about dumb stuff as much as he does ("Don't use that bathroom! Don't clean those cabinets! Don't dust the furniture!), he sure comes through when it's important.
    I don't think you are too old to smooth that old diamond. I think HE'S too old to be thoroughly buffed. Like an old lion that roars all day, thinking he's the boss... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Isn't it amazing how he can change? He even ate something after his doctor's appointment he went to, not eating for twelve hours for blood tests. Last time, he was out of it, even backing into a car. I think it scared him, so he listened to me this time. He thinks he is the boss! He can be if he is lucid enough to boss!

      Delete
  13. P.S. We have 2 recliners and I fall asleep within minutes when I sit in them, they are that comfortable. When I have a bad cold I will sleep in them so I am elevated and can breathe properly. More versatile than a hospital bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Sleeping in a recliner with a cold is a good idea. I probably will never do that since Tommy snores. But, I am sure I will sleep when trying to watch Gunsmoke and want to be awake.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...