Thursday, October 7, 2021

RAIN




Well, we are still working on the list from a few days ago! The rain is part of the problem. In places in Birmingham, TEN inches of rain fell. And, October is traditionally our driest month of the year. Well, that did not happen so far. Okay, that ten inches is the official rainfall, but some places received more rain. 

Tommy hung my black bird in the tree IN THE BACK of the tree! I suppose I will have to redo that, but not until the grass is dry. I hope the bird has been painted enough. I only got one coat on before rain and high humidity put an end to painting. I had him hang the black bird from the shepherd's hook instead of the tree. It looks great. 

A few weeks ago, I had the most wonderful ice cream, Mayfield's Snow Cream. And, yes, it does taste just like it was made with milk, sugar, and vanilla flavoring with bowls of snow stirred in. Try it, you will like it, or maybe you have. 

My youngest daughter who just turned 46 went out to gather snow when she was five years old. I told her about bird poop and not scraping too closely. She was so cute doing this, so focused and careful. 

Last night, I finished The Bear. It was wonderful. I felt I was in a land I could never know or imagine. For a post-apocalyptic story, it was pleasant, but poignant. This is the story of the last person on earth! I was mesmerized. If anyone wants it, I can send it media mail to you. 

When I get the stuck-on egg from the egg beaters, I will cook scrambled eggs for the next three days. Six broken eggs wait in a bowl. I am so hungry, so this will be lunch. I suppose he can help me empty and refill the dishwasher when Jeopardy is on TV.  He does so many things. He went to the kitchen and washed dishes when I had wanted him to only get off the stuck on cheese on two glass dishes. But, he washed most of the glass dishes. He is not lazy. 

For Tommy, I ordered a large hot water bottle. It hold 90 ounces of water and is skinny and long. His hips and knees hurt him because he has osteoarthritis. Hopefully, by getting this long bottle, he can apply heat to both hips or both knees at one time. He has a heating pad that is too old. Plus, I don't trust him not to turn it off or remove it from his body. 

A couple of days ago, I got into the car where Tommy was set to drive. I tried to put something into my pocket, and my pocket had mysteriously disappeared. After a bit, I realized my pants were backwards! Ugh! Tommy asked me if I wanted to go back and change. I was hurting so that I said no and just wore the pants backwards. These pants were new. I had worn them and washed them before this day. I thought to myself that they fit better and washing and hanging to dry. I would have been too embarrassed to admit I put them on backward and then wore them after I realized my mistake. But, I am over that now. I do check twice now to make sure they are on correctly. 

Just now, we put the pumpkin and the pot it sits in on the other side of the porch in order to balance the decorations. It's not much of a Halloween display, but it works for me. I have only spent $10 on Halloween. When things are on sale, I will be buying a fake pumpkin for next year, hoping it won't fade. But, I suppose I can spray it if it fades. I do have orange spray paint. 

We got our sun today by going to Publix to return brown lettuce that is two days from expiration date. Then, we zipped around the corner to The Pig and got Dasani water. I had earned money on a card, so it cost me nothing. We sat in the park for about 20 minutes, made a tour of the park and came home. it works for us. 

So far, that is our day. 

Have you ever worn your pants backward on purpose or accidentally? How did they feel? Have you had Mayfield Snow Cream? How did you like it? Did you think it tasted exactly like snow ice cream when it snowed?

16 comments:

  1. I've never had Mayfield Snow Cream, but my Mom used to make Snow Ice Cream for us when I was a kid. Mom and I would get our boots on and go out and scrape just the top layers of snow off of everywhere where it looked clean and take it inside and really quick she would make snow ice cream. Man oh Man it was so delicious! A special treat only possible when it snowed a lot. I now can't remember exactly how Mom made it. She didn't have it jotted down anywhere in her recipe book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I don't know when I started being the snow gatherer, but Mama never got snow again. I don't have her recipe, either, but I can make snow ice cream just like she did. Just use a quart of milk and make it extra sweet since the snow will dilute it. And, add vanilla until it is strong. I imagine the measurements for an ice cream freezer would approximate the amounts needed. Yes, snow ice cream was/is delicious. And, it had to be made quickly before the snow melted. If there was not much snow, a person would have to go out for more snow. Since it had to be clean snow, there might not be too many places that were clean. I suppose we took our lives in our hands eating snow. But, it was fun and I let my children eat it, too.

      Delete
  2. I’ve never worn my pants backwards but I once was wearing my top inside out. A kind woman at Target tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I realized. I didn’t know but wished someone had notified me earlier target was about the 6th & last stop I had made that day. I have also looked down and noticed that my sandals didn’t match. I wear Birkenstock GIZEH and have many different colors. Oh well, we all have done silly things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I went to visit a very good friend at her work, totally okay with her boss who liked me. Other guys came in to talk. Later, I saw some spots on my face. It was a med. I called her and demanded to know if she saw these and if so, why did she not tell me. She said she did not want to embarrass me. She lies because she is so jealous that she does not have the guys all to herself. And, she is married. So, letting a person go around looking ridiculous was mean of her. But, you would think a stranger would have said something to you.

      Delete
  3. We were in the area that got a little over ten inches of rain. 31 below me was flooded but I live on the side of a hill so our house was not affected by the water. I have never seen it rain like that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I wondered how much rain you had. But, since you live on the hill, I was sure you did not get flooded even a little bit. It was horrendous here. But, we did not get ten inches of rain.

      Delete
  4. 10 inches of rain in one go is an awful lot of rain!!!! And yes, I have worn my pants backwards and like you, I discovered it when I couldn't find my pocket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      That is what we thought. People died. I felt so silly when I realized I had put my pants on wrong.

      Delete
  5. That is a great water bottle, I didn’t know they made them like that. I’ve had Mayfields snow cream and you’re right it is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      The cover was difficult to get off. I don't know how I will get it back on. I hope it works for Tommy. I could eat snow cream for meals!

      Delete
  6. Not only have I worn my pants backwards but I wore a top inside out to church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I am so glad to know I am not the only person to wear my pants backwards! Oh no, a blouse inside out to church!

      Delete
  7. I usually hold my pants up before I put them on. That way I can see which part hands lower (the front). But once or twice I have put them on backwards because I didn't check first. Immediately they felt uncomfortable so I've never worn them backwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I called myself checking. I always check, too. Something went wrong this time. Needless to say, these pants are a loose fit and knit.

      Delete
  8. Ten inches! I think that is more than we get in a year's time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      We have a subtropical climate--60 inches per year. But, we like to get it a bit at a time.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...