Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Wednesday

 My mums are not the color I wanted. Oh well. Do I need to deadhead mums to encourage more flowers to bloom. 

Dinner on Tuesday--sweet potatoes, green beans. Tommy had sort sort of Italian turkey sausages (2) and I had a very small chicken breast. 

Sunday, Tommy went with me to buy a gadget to start my car. He heard me talking to the guy. My car is dead. The guy down the street said he would come down to help jump it off. Tommy and I together cannot hook up battery cable we have. Plus, my jumper cables are trapped in the trunk of my car. This seems like a failure in design--jumper cables cannot be removed from trunk of a car with a dead battery.

Well, I got the thing home and it talked about plugging it into an outlet and all sorts of information that did not seem pertinent to what we were trying to do--jump off my car from his.  I was sputtering about how it made no sense. He informed me I did not buy a jump box, just something to fully charge the battery whether it was in or out of the car. 

So, Tuesday, we went to Auto Zone and called as we sat in the car. The guy came and got the cc and went back in and brought out a Duracell jump box. 

I have never heard of a "jump box." Have you? Do you have one? This thing is heavy! And expensive--$74. Now, we have to take the other back to the store.

Tuesday, Tommy took a marker like I asked and drew a face on the jack-o-lantern. It looks so funny, strange. But, it is just fine. When Halloween is over, we will turn the face to the back, using it until Thanksgiving. So, we will get to use it for 8 weeks. 

He also broke limbs from the pine tree and put them under the pumpkin so it would not sit in a wet planter and rot. The wire chicken holding the mum was due for another coat of paint, but due to humidity rising and then rain, that will have to wait. It looks fine from the road, much whiter than it was before the first coat. 

After examining the yard sale pot, I found it has holly leaves and berries on it. I might paint that for use on the front porch this spring. 

On Tuesday, I awoke feeling a bit better. My fever was down. Today, Wednesday, I feel almost normal and not ill. Maybe October will not beat me this year! I finished I Alone and started a book from the box of books--The Bear by Andrew Krivak, finishing over 100 pages last night, over half the book. So, tonight I will surely finish it. 

In the late 90s Krivak, only 17, was convicted of raping and murdering a 12-yr-girl and spent 24 years in prison before the wrong was corrected. His story is interesting, to say the least. 

Over the last couple of weeks, I have continued reading and NOT taking melatonin. It seems to work. I only slept four hours Tuesday night, but a nap will fix that. Of course, I may not nap. The deep ache of no sleep and continual tiredness, weariness is gone. 

Today, I plan to go pick up loss leaders, mainly cheese, since I have not had Kraft cheddar cheese in three days. There is yucky American cheese that was frozen, cheese curds, and feta. Those won't do when I want Cheddar. 

Have you read The Bear or anything by Andrew Krivak? I get frantic when I don't have a banana, but it has been years since I ran out of Kraft Medium Cheddar, and I am really missing it. What food do you really miss and want when you run out? 

Right now, I am waiting for Tommy to ruin the jump box by using a very old, small extension cord! He is a destroyer of things. UPDATE: We went to buy an extension cord!

10 comments:

  1. My mums are the color I want but the blooms are tiny. Oh well! Life goes on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I will get over it, but they were lavender when I bought them and I could barely see the buds. They just bloomed the right color and seemed to have gotten darker.

      Delete
    2. Mine are the exact color I hoped for but the blooms are only about the size of a quarter. They are still pretty and I will plant them after they finish flowering but I hoping for much larger. I guess that is what happens since I bought them with nothing but very tight buds on the plant.

      Delete
    3. Anne,
      In order to have mums last longer, the buds should be closed. If you buy them all pretty, they will be dying soon. These are pretty, just not the color I wanted. They are prettier than a bare yard like Tommy likes his yard. These are on the porch. I don't think my blooms are as large as a quarter.

      Delete
  2. I apologize for not having paid attention to the original issues with your car…what is wrong? the battery? Wouldn’t it be easier to buy a new one? And if you don’t drive much, and since batteries discharge about 1% a day, you can have autozone fix you up with a charging port so you can attach a battery charger to it when not in use…assuming you have electricity near your car at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TO,
      I don't drive it much but it would have held a charge if I had driven it at all. I let my license expire so I did not dare drive. There is no electricity in the carport, but there is an outlet in the utility room right at the front of the car. Now that I have my license, I will make sure I drive it when we go out once a week.

      Delete
  3. I thought I had commented, but here it is again. My mum developed lighter, almost white in places but it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Two comments showed up. I've never seen one turn almost white. It must be pretty.

      Delete
  4. I hope you got some proper cheese, no rubbish. Good cheese is a delicious treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I get Kraft in a chunk. It is probably not what you would call proper, but it is the best for me.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...