Sunday, November 21, 2021

A Bad Fall

 Someone asked in comments how I am feeling today. I sort of feel better. Mostly, I am through with the antibiotic that makes me feel so crummy, so now I only have to deal with the sore throat and malaise from not being able to breathe. I have meds and inhalers for those. 

I did not take a nap yesterday. Today, I will because I only slept 4.5 hours last night and the night before, not enough. But, yesterday I did not want to take a nap at 7 pm when it hit me that I needed a nap. 

Today's goals are getting Tommy to take clothes to the washing machine. He doesn't mind but forgets. All the hanging and folding can be a bit much for me. Plus, I have another turkey to put in the oven. We are really enjoying the turkey breast, so much that I want one each week. Really, at the rate I bought these it would be cheap protein for the two of us. Those two things will occupy the whole day, off and on. 

Last night, we had turkey, sweet potatoes, and kale. I had gravy on my meat. That was scrumptious. It came from a jar and now I don't know what brand. That kale is gone and I won't be serving sweet potatoes until Thanksgiving. 

When we took a drive yesterday through a neighborhood. I was looking across a creek/ditch in this neighborhood at an ambulance and a fire truck when Tommy exclaimed, "Oh, that woman fell!" I looked up and saw a small woman on the ground. We pulled up and I got out to help her up. Her face was covered with blood. It was scary looking. She had her glasses in her hand and they were covered with blood, too. She was holding a leash and had a white dog, some sort of small dog. 

She had managed to get onto one knee after I reached her. I gave her a wad/stack of fast food napkins so she could wipe her face. As little strength as I have, I managed to help her up. She was very distraught, and I don't blame her. Tommy said her dog was under his car. The dog was very frightened. She would not come out for her owner. I figured she was afraid of me, so I retreated to the back of the car little by little. As soon as I was fully behind the car, the dog came out to her owner who grabbed her leash. 

Thankfully, traffic stopped in both directions and drivers were not impatient since we were in the lane going in the opposite direction. We had the whole road blocked. Someone who saw me struggling to walk and trying to help this woman got out to help. But, the woman was on her feet and I was cleaning blood. She insisted on walking, so we told her to walk in the street instead of the grass where she fell. We told her we would stay behind her so no one would run over her. 

As I got into the car, I saw a younger woman coming and not taking a walk. So, she got to her and held onto her. I have no idea if this other woman was a neighbor or relative, daughter I think. 

This woman who fell was walking off the road but right on the margin where road and grass meet. She said she stepped onto something that made her fall. Leaves obviously obscured whatever made her stumble. She fell onto the asphalt face first. She had a two-inch cut above her right eyebrow and another one-inch cut under her right eyebrow. It looked awful. I wonder if she has a huge bruise today. 

I tried not to get any blood on me, but doubt I was completely successful. I had gloves in the car thanks to Covid. Residential areas need sidewalks, but the South is not known for being walkable. I doubt this woman will ever be allowed to take a walk again. 

Tommy uses his clean travel pillow all the time. He still switches it off for the dirty dog bone pillow. I mentioned washing it two years ago and he yelled about it forever. I mentioned washing it the other day and he just looked at me and made noises of assent. So, I need to get out the lingerie bag for him to wash it. 

Okay, it is still about 9 am. I have waited an hour and can eat. All I want to eat is turkey! But, I will get a boiled egg instead. 

10 comments:

  1. I’m so glad you were there to help the lady who fell down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that poor lady. It's good you two were there to help

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the situation and your desire to help is what gave you the strength to assist her. Good for you and Tommy for being that lady's heroes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      It must be so! Because I just did it. Of course, I staggered back to the car.

      Delete
  4. Good for you! You can feel good about doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I do feel good about being able to help. All the blood was scary.

      Delete
  5. I am glad you are safe, when I went to your post titled "A Bad Fall"
    I thought it was you that had the fall. You kind of scared us. I am glad that you and Tommy were there to help her.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...