Monday, November 15, 2021

Phone Calls and eBay Amidst Cooking and Cleaning

 Sunday night, I took the turkey breast from the oven, let it cool a bit and bagged it for the freezer. We are still eating from the hen I baked. Tommy had a salad and a leg from the hen and English peas. He ate carrots and tomato on the salad. I had tomatoes, cheese bits, and chicken with Miracle Whip stirred in and green beans. 

Since I bought 3 more half gallons of milk, the refrigerator is crowded so I did not get another breast out. That will happen today. 

I believe today's Thanksgiving dinner prep will be baking a dozen or more sweet potatoes. I will peel the baked sweet potatoes and freeze them in meal sized portions. Since we have peas and green beans leftover along with the hen pieces, we can have dinner by adding sweet potatoes. 

The Butterball Turkey Breast had a gravy packet. I put it in a Ball jar to save. I don't know if I will use it or not. 

I started a bag in the freezer for stock. So far, I have the bones and browned skin of the turkey breast. This is new to me. I think it will work well. The juices from the turkey are in a Ball jar. They will go in the broth bag. Tommy listened closely when I told him how this works. He has never heard of such things. He said he was reading and looking at the boxes of broth and stock at the store. 

Sunday, I went to Publix to get two more turkey breasts. They were out. Pooh. However, I did get three more half-gallons of a2milk. That makes 3.5 gallons in the freezer. 

Okay, Publix did not get a meat truck in on Monday. Since it will come in tomorrow, I will check back.  The next breast to be cooked is thawing. I tasted the breast I cooked with plenty of seasoning and it was not tasty. Since I can taste everything else, I wonder why this Butterball breast is not tasty. 

My phone I bought from eBay and was advertised as 4G is not, I am scurrying to get it back to the seller through eBay. This is not easy. None of the numbers work, so I followed directions and left a message with eBay to contact me. That is not happening. The phone is a Rugby 4, not 4G, 4th generation of the model, Rugby. 

When I moved here, Tommy refused to let me clean his bathroom. So, I didn't. He did deign to allow someone to clean it, but that has not happened. I am quite sure that he will "allow" me to clean it now. But, I won't!  So, the floor is so filthy that some of the tiles are obscured with dirt. For the past several weeks, I have been mentioning him vacuuming the bathroom floor. It needs to be vacuumed, swept, and maybe re-vacuumed before putting anything wet on it. 

I removed the stick vacuum from the bedroom in which it was stored and put it at the end of the hall a week ago. Everyday, I mention something about vacuuming. Today, he did it. The bathroom floor is still filthy, beyond anything I have ever seen. If you wonder how I can stand it, it is hard. I wore shoes for the first 18 months I was here since the beige rug had turned dark brown. Then, I stepped with my bare feet to the two new rugs to use the toilet! 

Today, he also washed the two rugs in there since I have mentioned it for two weeks. It rained some and we were not here some days. Today is sunny and there is the slightest breeze, so the rugs will only require the least bit of time outdoors to dry completely. 

He is violent when I first mention my cleaning something. Then, with each mention, not nagging, he mellows. By that time, I am not going to clean whatever, so he gets to pay someone or do it himself! 

Sometimes, I hear him doing things in the kitchen. When he comes out, he either tells me what he did or I ask him what the noise was. He will clean things that I am shocked he does without my asking. I question none of this surprise cleaning. 

I had a list of calls to make and the numbers. Monday is the day I start making calls. Do you think I can find that list? Not at all. So, I suppose I need to start the list anew and find numbers. sigh I think I need ice cream. 

I suppose I will clean the pan for baking the sweet potatoes I have not washed and trimmed yet!

Are you using fresh sweet potatoes or canned ones for Thanksgiving? Hey, there is no judgment on using canned as that is what Mama did and so did I until I discovered these delicious sweet potatoes, buying from the farmer. Maybe you don't eat sweet potatoes?

20 comments:

  1. I have used both. Sweet potatoes are so expensive here, so did buy a large can. But I like fresh better. After Thanksgiving they often go on a good sale at Wal-mart and then I will buy quite a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I paid $0.50/lb at the market from the same farmer where I go to his farm. I might be able to buy them cheaper, but these Beauregard are the best.

      Delete
  2. Your gently-gently approach with Tommy works well.
    We eat a lot of sweet potatoes as my daughter doesn't eat white potato. It's not possible to get them in cans here so it's fresh all the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      He has to be petted into doing most things. But, he has caught on to keeping the baking pans in the kitchen clean. That is a shame you cannot get sweet potatoes in a can. My sweet potato farmer sells his sweet potatoes to a canning factory, too. I have probably been eating his potatoes for years. Do you know what variety you buy?

      Delete
    2. I looked up what varieties are grown here and the only orange one is Beauregard. I wouldn't have known that!

      Delete
  3. I Have 2 rather large butternut squash left from the Farmers Market that I will cook and freeze in meal size portions so I suppose we will use those. we will also have a lot of meals left over from the squash which I like as healthy add ons to other meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Butternut squash are delicious. I prepared one and gave Tommy a portion on his plate. I sprinkled a bit of cinnamon on his and poked them with a fork like it was mixed in with cooking. He raved over them with nothing but cinnamon. One butternut will last a few meals.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad Tommy responds to your mentions. One day all the housework and decluttering dine here and there will pay off. Since our Thanksgiving has passed, I won't be baking any sweet potatoes until Christmas. I only roast one or two, depending on size since I'm the only one who eats them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Well, I hope so! It is just too dirty. I think my friend wants my dehydrator and he can put up two light fixtures in the dining room and kitchen is a trade. I hate baking on and on. So, I really want to bake enough to freeze for later.

      Delete
  5. I use fresh sweet potatoes to make sweet potato pie. We also really enjoy the purple sweet potatoes. They make excellent oven 'fries'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I are not sweet potato fans. I used to roast one a week in the oven for Fuzzy, but since he is so old now and off and on with what or if he will eat, I don't roast them anymore for him. He is so funny if he doesn't want to eat some little bit of food we are trying to coax him to eat, he puts his mouth to our fingertips like he is going to take it, and then he snarls up (silently) one side of his top lip and just stands there with his teeth closed together. If you use your imagination it looks just like the way Elvis Presley used to lift that one side of his lip sometimes.

    Husband and I like red, russet,or Yukon potatoes, and have potatoes a few times a week. My husband really likes his potatoes just plain with a little salt on them, no butter, no anything else. I kid him and tell him that's his Irish ancestry coming through.I like butter or sour cream on mine. I also really like potatoes and cabbage together, maybe my German Irish ancestry. My husband will eat some cabbage but not as much as I do. Fuzzy likes white potatoes with his boiled chicken. That combination has never caused him to give us the Elvis lip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      That is so funny about the dog giving you the Elvis lip. I had to tell Tommy.

      I usually buy Russet but love red. I put butter or sour cream on mine, no salt. Potatoes and cabbage are a favorite. I could eat a whole head of cooked cabbage. I am glad Fuzzy approves of white potatoes.

      Delete
  7. I think I've only gotten a Butterball turkey one time and I used the gravy packet and it was very good gravy. I'm hoping this one I just bought for Thanksgiving also has the gravy packet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I tasted this gravy before it was heated and I am not crazy about it, but we will see.

      Delete
  8. I think it is so funny that your readers post about the Elvis lip, I gshave had a couple of dogs that do that, one has passed but he must have taught his baby sister to do it. It makes me laugh so hard but I tell her to put her teeth back in her mouth. Every once in a while she will look like that creature in Alien. It cracks me up, she weighs maybe 12 lbs, and she gives that face to my 80 lb chow.
    Oh life with children or fur children

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was not aware sweet potatoes came in a can
    I hope to have mashed potatoes for once but Someone is not a fan. He likes sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Bruce's sweet potatoes are the best. Look for them. I think you should have sweet potatoes and white potatoes!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...