Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Tuesday--What is Wrong with Blogger?

 Okay, I did not bake sweet potatoes, and we still ate well. Tommy had salad with carrots and tomatoes on it. Plus, he had peas and baked chicken. I had a sandwich--bread, tomato, cheese, carrots, chicken breast. Later, I had green beans. Yes, I was short on fiber. 

Yesterday, I did not bake sweet potatoes. We went to the store where I had a list of what was on sale this week. They were out of the butter, cheese, dawn original, and Kraft Medium Cheese. I did get the cream cheese. I don't need Dawn, but I wondered if it really was the original formula. 

Then, we went to the bread store, quite a trek. I bought two loaves of bread with Nov 18 as the best-by date. 

The couple who are both ninety-years-old have had a setback. He has been ill for two weeks and may come home. His uti is  complicated and probably caused by his lack of desire and refusal to eat or drink enough. So sad. 

We added more bones and skin to the stock bag in the freezer. I even added a bit of tomato. I cannot wait to get it all cooked down. 

Today, I will go the Publix to get more milk and see if they got more turkey breasts on their meat truck. I will get the sweet potatoes baked today!  Just now, we emptied the dishwasher and loaded it with the few items that were dirty. Tommy scrubbed the cookie sheets and the sink. We have to determine how many turkey breasts will go in the freezer and how many more cartons of milk will fit in the refrigerator. 

My blue bird will get one additional coat of paint on a place that was sanded. In front of the brick house the temperature will be just right. Then, we will hang it. 

Goals today: spray paint bird, go to publix for milk and breasts, bake sweet potatoes, and take from skin. Since I slept four hours, maybe less, last night, this is an ambitious list. Remember, these sweet potatoes might be part of Thanksgiving dinner for us. So, I have to do something every day. 

Today, it is 72F with a slight breeze, lovely day! 

I went to Publix and brought home three more half gallons of milk because they are 3 for $10. I found small turkeys for $0.49/lb. So, I got two that were 9 pounds. Now, I have no room for them. So, we will have to work on getting them in the freezer or in the refrigerator to thaw. I guess one can thaw while the other goes in the freezer. What a problem to have! So, I have cheap meat for the next year, I suppose. 

We stole the ads in the pink bag from a vacant house since our street does not get ads any more. Celery is cheap--$1.29 head. It has been up near $3 for a bit. I thought cranberries were on sale at Publix. Obviously not. 

What goodies/bargains have you found this week in the ads or the store? 

There is no gray thing to pull down to advance the page. Where did it go? What did Blogger do with it? 


12 comments:

  1. I hope you got your 'to dos' done as planned. Monday I had such a good day for getting things done though I had a slow start. It feels so good when we can get our things done, doesn't it? Today I'm not going to get much done though I will still have a great day if I can finish preparing my parcels to return to various places (on line purchases that didn't work out). Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Today, I did get the sweet potatoes baked. Now, when they cool I will pull the skins off and freeze in portions. Just one good thing done is quite an accomplishment some days. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you got your sweet potatoes bought and baked. I seem to be taking forever to send all my parcels back and have only managed to do one a day. I prepared the third one today. I might have one more. If they would send one order all at once but national stores might send one order in 2 or 3 parts depending on which store has stock. I also have a bunch of long overdue forms to complete and mail. Hope I can complete Wednesday. So all of this to make the point that these simple tasks we do can sure take time but when we get them done we feel very satisfied.

      Delete
  2. I tried to make stock but it did not go well. Kroger here had swanson broth on sale for .49 cents a can so I stocked up for the winter with about 20 cans of low sodium chicken and beef. I make a lot of soups in the winter. I also stocked up on chips as they were on a good sale. It is so funny, my grandson comes over and runs to see what if in the pantry, freezers and fridge. He knows Grandma will have his favorites.

    Since it will be just me on Thanksgiving, I am thinking lasanga, salad and gralice bread. I can freeze the leftovers for future meals. I am not a big turkey person and I am making a chicken and dressing casserole tomorrow. I also will make a chocolate pie.That should get me thru the week with some salad and veggies.
    Hope you have a good week preparing for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to make stock once and it was awful. Hopefully, this is better. That is funny he checks out what you have for him.

      Even if it is just me and chicken breasts, I always have a full meal of all my favorite things. I might mash two potatoes and make a bit of gravy with boiled eggs in it. I will make a dressing casserole after T-day. Take care.

      Delete
  3. I spend my Wednesday Mornings talking to the clients at a discount food market. When the store is closed for the day, the leftover bread is brought out for people to take for free. It's a day or two old but there is some great stuff, Turkish Rolls, Stonebaked Sourdough etc.
    Today I brought three little batons of sourdough and we made it into garlic bread. Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      That sounds like a good service. And, free bread? Think about it--bread is old the day after it is baked, so why not buy it cheap? Garlic bread is yummy.

      Delete
  4. How does making stock not go well? Unless you let the water evaporate and burn the veggies/bones? Or add a brassica (kale, cabbage, broccoli) and wreck the flavor?
    I make my stock in a crock pot. I start it in the evening (add 1 tbs white vinegar to help leach the calcium out of the bones) and don't bother with it further until morning, when I set the lid askew and let it concentrate. Stock should never boil, only simmer.
    I am feeling so meh about Thanksgiving this year. I think I'd rather do Chinese takeout. But I have a turkey in the freezer, so I guess it's thawing time...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I don't know what Texas did. Mine just did not taste good and not bad. I probably needed to cook it down. I suppose a turkey is the freezer needs to start thawing soon for Thanksgiving if that is what you decide to do.

      Delete
  5. We are getting groceries delivered today. Nothing special on sale, but grateful to get them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I hope you get all you ordered. I have found lots of sales.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...