Saturday, November 13, 2021

This and That

 Tommy has a pillow he uses behind his neck in the recliner. It was his father's, and he died in 1972. Tommy said he got the pillow in about 1969. Tommy has used it since 1972.  It has never been washed! That grossed me out. I bought three travel pillows, one for the car and one for each of us in the house. Tommy threw a loud fit, saying he like the bone-shaped pillow and did not want or need the travel pillow. 

Well, since yesterday he has used his pillow exclusively. I bought these six months ago, but wanted the pillowcases to use with them. I would just use a pillowcase that fits a regular sized bed pillow, but I only have three pillowcases here and I use two of them all the time. I found the pillowcases this last week, washed, and hung to dry. 

He loves the pillow! I suffered verbal abuse when I bought the pillows. Maybe one day, I will suggest he throw the old pillow out. I know that if it is washed, it will come apart. Can you imagine using a pillow for 60+ years and never washing it? I offered and suffered verbal abuse. He said it did not need washing. Yuck! 

I have been using one of the travel pillows under my shoulder, so that pillow is pretty flat or at least not so fluffy. He wanted that one and let me have the new one. That is okay with me since the fluffier pillow will work and I won't have to fold the flatter one for use under my shoulder that has torn rotator cuff. 

New book last week--Just Mercy, by Bryan Stevenson. 

This book follows the murder trial, coercion, and conviction of a black man for something he did not do, was not in town to commit. It is shocking how many lies convicted this man and put him on death row. Stevenson is a young black attorney who comes to Alabama to work for blacks wrongly convicted. Of course, all this is now a matter of record. 

Some nights, I read as little as four pages and then go to sleep so I won't work through the sleepiness and stay up too late. I could read the book in three days of leisurely reading if I put my mind to it. I think I will keep a book in the living room to read, plus one in the bedroom. 

Friday night, I put the hen in the oven late, about 6:15. The hen was still partially frozen with giblets inside. I put the oven on 350F, intending to leave it that temperature for an hour and turn it down to 300F. His oven is 50F too high. But, I forgot and left it on for the whole four hours. I wanted the frozen giblets cooked, not raw! I ripped off the breasts and put in a bag. Then, I ripped off thighs, legs, and wings for Tommy to remove meat today. It may be overcooked, but it is not raw! There are about 10 meals in the refrigerator from one huge hen. 

The hen was rubbed like it was turkey and it smelled like Thanksgiving in here. I rub salt, pepper, and ground sage into the hen before it is baked. I never use poultry seasoning. I chopped an onion in anticipation of Thanksgiving cooking and froze them. 

A hen tender was my lunch (no breakfast), dipped in Miracle Whip instead of Honey Mustard, milk, half a banana and pb. 

Tommy is watching an Auburn game, so the day is stalled while he watches. There are so many little picky rules in football. He doesn't mind telling why things happen, but I am not so sure I care. I know people like football, but it all seems so cruel and violent that I wonder about people who love football. Okay, not really!  I guess we don't have jousting and gladiators, so we have football. 

Hopefully, he will not want to watch the whole game. I can dream, can't I. But, there are things to do. I won't even ask about going out. 

Since all my Ball quart jars are now clean, I can fill them with beans, sugar, flour, powdered and brown sugar and such. I started that on Friday night. One jar of Great Northern Beans is in the freezer for a three-day stay. 

The weather is going to be beautiful this weekend, with a predicted frost or freeze on Saturday night. Most trees have not turned yet, so maybe this frost will do the trick. Some trees, deciduous ones, are still fully green, maybe fading but still green. 

Are you an avid football fan? Have the trees all turned in your area? Does anyone you know refuse to give up and replace an item that has seen better days? Do you use Ball jars to store dry goods?

18 comments:

  1. I think maybe he has an an emotional attachment to that pillow and it is a memory of his Dad. I would not insist he throw it away, maybe just find a large clear plastic bag to put it in and let him keep it sealed up in his closet or somewhere. Maybe it is/was a physical and emotional comfort to him after his Dad died. For a long while I imagine he could still his Dad's scent on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      When I found out it was his father's pillow, I never mentioned throwing it away again. I did suggest he keep it, just not use it. One day, I will ask him what he wants to do with it. It's up to him.

      Delete
  2. I use ball jars for everything. My son hates to give up old things *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      I had some socks, my favorite and red. they were so comfortable that I wore them when the heels were out. My friends tried to get me to wear other socks. I had plenty of socks, I just like the feel of them.

      Delete
  3. I brought a pillow into my marriage, I took it everwhere, trips, family reunions etc but it was washed often. It finally fell apart and has been replaced many times over. I need a certain type of pillow to sleep. It is something I am willing to invest in. I never run out. I have four new ones now in the closest waiting for replacement time.

    Football I hate but has been a big part of my life. My husband and his family were big fans. We were there every weekend during football season. I would just take a good book and curl up in a chair for the day.
    Are you not able to get out anymore on your own? Has your mobility gotten worse. It is so unfair to be limited in what you can do. Even if you had a scooter you could you probably would not be able to use it without help. They need to have motorized carts everywhere. So many people have to struggle to maintain their independence as they get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I bought my favorite shoe when it was discontinued, 8 pair. I would have bought more, but that was all I could find. I suppose I could have tried harder. If I find a shoe that fits, I buy more so I will not face that problem again.

      I would have to take a book, too.

      Oh, yes, I can get out on my own. But, Tommy knows where we are going. lol I am very limited, but manage to do most of what I need due to electric carts. It would be nice to have them everywhere.

      When my father had terminal pancreatic cancer, I visited him at their home one day. He was happy and said, "I discovered those electric carts at Kroger's and now I can shop the Hell out of the store." He had been limited for so long with emphysema and cancer that he was thrilled.

      Delete
  4. I detest football to the point that one of the reason I picked the school I did for my undergraduate degree was that their football team was the worst in their entire division. I have never watched a football game in its entirety. In professional sports, particularly football, I feel as if the fans want all of the player's talent, but none of their humanity. The whole industry sickens me. Also, from this secular humanist's view, it smacks of idolatry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,
      I have never seen a game in its entirety, either. The pay for football players compared to nurses is just plain wrong!

      Delete
  5. I read Just Mercy and also saw the movie when it came out. I don't often cry at movies but this one made me cry. I can't imagine using such a dirty pillow, ugh. I wash and refresh mine often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I didn't know it was a movie, yet. The book is very sad. His whole house is dirty. The switch cover in this room is offwhite except for the black, dirty places. He sees no need to clean them. I may just buy new ones! They are gross. This is why I often divide stuff he will put his hands into in the refrigerator and give him his own portion, like chicken off the bone in a plastic bag. And, he gets a larger portion so it won't seem I am taking more.

      Delete
  6. Yikes on the pillow! Any chance you could sneak and wash it? You’re right though it may fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I mentioned that last night. I see he is using it again today. Yuck! I will wait a bit and mention it again. I have a zipper bag for lingerie, so that will contain the myriad of stuffing. HA!

      Delete
  7. Yes to just about everything. Mr. K and I got married 7 years ago and bought a house. He had been living in his apartment for nearly 7 years and had never cleaned under the Mr. Coffee, let alone cleaning the machine. I threw it away and told him it must have blown out the window. Now we laugh about it, but he was pretty upset at the time.
    I'm a serial reader! I always have a non fiction in the family room (for when Mr. K watches football), something lighter and fluffier in the bedroom to put me to sleep and I always have something going in my kindle that lives in my purse. I love to read!
    If I'm not reading, I'm knitting. I hate football and baseball, but love ice hockey. I've been known to knit through the entire game.
    And sadly, our leaves are past their prime. The season didn't last as long this year.
    And lastly, my ball jar collection is legendary in our family. I prefer the wide mouth and use them for everything.
    Guess we smart gals all think alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That is funny about the coffeemaker! I will have to remember that--blew out the window. A team of men from a church were cleaning up my yard--heavy stuff. So, I was bemoaning my lack of a coffeemaker. My friend gave me one she had just replaced. Later, I gave it to Tommy, about 10 years ago. Well, he had never cleaned it either or under it. Yuck. I don't drink coffee, so I let it go. I cannot wait until it breaks.

      The toaster sat here, unwashed, too. But, since roaches were running everywhere, I emphasized it had roaches in it dead. We made no toast, ever! One day, I took it with two fingers by the top, brought it to him and asked what he wanted me to do with it. He said to throw it away. Slowly, he is getting it.

      Since I got glasses AND something to read AND a booklight, I am reading every day. When I finish the book I am reading and dig around in my new box of books, I will get out at least one for the living room. I may put one in the car.

      I have been known to read through the game, only looking up on instant replays. Maybe after the freeze last night, all these green leaves will turn.
      My collection is not legendary, but it puzzles Tommy. He asked why often. Now, he sees how I use them for storage and measuring and canning and leftovers. He finally gets it or shut up about the many and various kinds.

      Have you seen the amber ones, squat wide-mouth pints?

      Delete
  8. I'm concerned about both of your health. I'm by far not a neat freak, and let things slide but things that attract bugs, roaches, or are unsanitary, can be contributing to both of your poor health. He's very well breathing in mold as he rests his head on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I doubt my severe back problem or knee problem is caused by the cleanliness of anything. His head is always stuffed up and he sneezes lots. I suggested the pillow was part of the problem. I think that was one thing, other than the fact the recliner is falling apart, that caused him to get new recliner.

      Delete
  9. Football? Well...I like the snacks! Yes! Football snacks are awesome when they are eaten in another room. :^)
    My husband would be a semi-hoarder if I didn't keep him in check. So stuff gets "packed in a box and put in the basement." That's what I tell him. He thinks his crap is put away nicely, but I know it's gone forever. He has never bothered to go looking for a single thing he's asked about. So that should tell you something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stuff I have seen at Iron Bowl parties is not what I like. In another room they might taste better. I need to start packing things in a box for Tommy. Clever woman.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...