Thursday, December 2, 2021

"FedEx Drop Off Here" and Yard Sale Finds

"FedEx Drop Off Here" was on a sign on I-65 about 40 miles north of Birmingham. This is where a FedEx driver threw packages into a ravine in Blount County, just north of where I live.

In the meantime, another dump by FedEx in Alabama happened just south of the first in another county.

I tried something new on Wednesday night. I had bought broccoli and we were having some for dinner, the florets. So I could get the broccoli in a gallon bag, I cut off the woody-looking stems. Then, I decided to peel it. I cut it into sticks prior to dicing it. When I tried it, it was so tender I did not dice it. Now, I am going to put it in my salad tomorrow with tomatoes and Romaine. Tommy took a stick, chewed it and said it was okay, hardly any taste. For picky kids this might work for a stick along with carrot and celery sticks. 

People have written about peeling the stalk and eating it. For years I have said I was going to try it. Now, I will never throw one out again. 

For dinner on Wednesday Tommy had turkey, sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli. I had the rest of the roast beef I opened last night, Romaine, grape tomatoes, steamed broccoli. I hate everything except the breast of turkey or chicken. 

Wednesday, we watched PBS--My Garden of a Thousand Bees. The program was fascinating and the bees so large on the screen. 

At a yard sale on Wednesday, I bought a vase (about 14') that comes apart. Then, I have a candlestick. Plus, there were about two cups of tiny "crystals" that hang on lamps and chandeliers--$5. Then, I found four rolls of new wrapping paper--$2 for all four. I do not need wrapping paper, but this is shiny. There were 3 Drive grab bars, two 16" ones and a 24" one--$10. Total--$17. I can resell all the hanging crystals. 

Cost of his car repair--$1100.00. He took that news very calmly. I did not. We have yet to get it back.  Okay, they called and it is ready. 

We are going to see if the chair by the dumpster is still there. If so, it is mine!

Have you ever eaten broccoli stalks raw or cooked? Do you ever watch PBS? We watched it on APT--Alabama Public Television. 

21 comments:

  1. raw and cooked. I have used the peelings from stems to add to the water when making broccoli soup, just pull them out before I add cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      They were delicious but did not taste like broccoli at all. I love broccoli soup!

      Delete
  2. $1100 ouch! At least he took it well. Dh's new transmission is going to cost us $2700

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I was surprised that he did not even wince! His new transmission is certainly pricey.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe how expensive car repairs are! Hubby bought a new Kia SUV and within 2 months, the transmission went. They finally got a replacement and the dealership billed KIA (and gave us a copy) for a whopping $10,800! Yes, ten thousand, eight hundred! or about 20% of the cost of the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That is a lot of money! I am surprised that a KIA SUV costs so much, but I am not aware of new car costs.

      Delete
  4. It's not uncommon here to see broccoli slaw in stores and that is coarsely shredded stalks made into a slaw. I also peel off the tough bits and slice thinly to use in stir fry dishes. I freeze those pieces. I've not been the best about using that portion of my broccoli here of late and I'm changing my ways! I made up my mind in 2020 I'd try my best to throw out nothing but foods that spoiled and then made up my mind if they did spoil it would be through no fault of mine. I have cut our food waste WAY down and now it's almost a game to see how I might use every bit of every food we buy. I'm not all the way there yet, but I'm working hard at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. terricheney,
      I love broccoli slaw and we have it once in a while. Food waste is a sin! And I am responsible, too. But, Tommy helps me keep an eye on what is in the refrigerator. I am glad you are working hard at not wasting.

      Delete
  5. My son Kris was a chef and he always swore the stalks peeled where the best part of the broccoli. He said chefs even in fancy restaurants saved all the scraps from veggies for stock and ate everything they could on break. Grazing on ends and pieces of veggies especially. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I think that is smart to eat while working as a chef. It is a good way to eat a balanced diet and save money. I would.

      Delete
  6. The stems of broccoli are my favorite part - peeled and either eaten raw or cooked.
    Transmissions are super expensive. Actually, that is probably not a bad price for that - although yep, I would have had a cow!
    Hope you get the chair!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I have had them in broccoli slaw, but never just peeled them to eat. His part was the ventilation fan or some such thing with wiring gone bad somewhere.

      Delete
  7. Well I'm glad Tommy took the car repair bill so calmly. I know it's a lot of money. I use my broccoli stalks often along with florets especially in soups or stir fried dishes. I hope you can get the chair you want to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      He has still not complained one bit! I will never throw out a broccoli stem again.

      Delete
  8. I am a sinner when it comes to wasting food. Time slips by faster than I realize and I am always having things spoil in the refrigerator because they have been in there too long. The latest victims of my sinning were the boiled potatoes we had on Thanksgiving. I purposely cooked extra so I could fry up the leftovers with another meal. I am so aggravated at myself that time slipped by and they were too old to use before I remembered them.

    I am not much of a fan of raw broccoli but I really like it cooked and usually buy it frozen. I love it cooked with rice and chicken in a cheesy casserole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      Too bad about the potatoes! Not being able to bend so far and see what is there has caused food to waste. But, since Tommy has started searching the refrigerator, hardly anything spoils, thankfully. I love that recipe, too. I may make that this weekend.

      Delete
  9. We saw that PBS sow too and it was fascinating. Nature on PBS has really changed and the photography is amazing. we have really been enjoying it. Our son's family lives near the FedEx dump sites too and they were talking about it as it hit the news when they were here for Thanksgiving. I peel and slice the broccoli stems and steam them along with the florets. I saw that on a Martha Stewart show many years ago and have done it ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the photography. I think I missed Gunsmoke to watch it. We were horrified at all the packages and yet laughed at the absurdity of it. THEN, it happened again 70 miles south of there. For years I have heard about eating the stems but never did. Now, I will eat them all the time.

      Delete
    2. I have peeled and eaten the stems of broccoli for a long time. I like it both raw and cooked. If you have ever had kohlrabi, that's it tastes like. Absolutely delicious.
      Just why did that FedEx driver dump the packages, anyway?

      Delete
  10. I am not a fan of raw broccoli; I think it tastes better lightly cooked. I think the B-vitamins are better released - true?
    Ugh about the car $$$.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I love raw and cooked broccoli. Steamed is best for access to vitamins, I think. Ugh is correct about the car.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...