Thursday, December 23, 2021

Hard Wednesday and Nightmare

 We went to Cullman on Wednesday.  Since we were picking up mail, I mailed another batch of Christmas cards, the last I will mail. The rest of the people will get Spring cards. 

I met a woman to get something from her and gave her one of the boxes of candies as a gift because we are friends and she was doing me a special favor.

Tommy bought gas for $2.78/gal, the cheapest we have seen it anywhere. 

Philadelphia Cream Cheese is always on the shelf and never looks like it is lacking. But, 8 ounces for $2 is the cheapest I see it. I know I have turkey bags here, but I got another box anyway. I use lots of these, so what is here is not an overabundance. I had used the last one in the box, and since I have a turkey thawing, I did not want to be lacking. I forgot to check the excess in the back bedroom.

Tommy had some of his salami and crackers for lunch on Tuesday. Wednesday, while I napped he had salami, crackers, and two pears. The pears are on their last legs, so he wants to eat them up. And, he had to cut lots off both pears. 

Wednesday, as we came home, I asked him if he could eat soup or a sandwich. He said he was going to eat the carrots and other vegetables. I found a frozen thigh, left it on the counter and took a nap at 5:30. When I awoke, I had a very little of the vegetables and a tiny breast in the refrigerator. 

Before we left Wednesday morning, the plan was to boil eggs, wash my hair and have a couple of boiled eggs and leave by nine o'clock. That did not happen. I put the eggs on and washed my hair. I had a glass of milk with me and an applesauce cup because I did not have time to peel eggs. Once in the car, I realized the eggs were still boiling. So, I put the pot in the sink and got back in the car. That was about 9 am. Finally at 11 pm, I ate one egg and put the others, still in the shell, in the refrigerator. It tasted fine. 

I had earned points using a Belk credit card. They gave them to me in 8 increments of $10. They expire on Dec. 24, so I was determined to use them for something. I had Tommy go in with me since I did not feel well, and he could get things from racks for me. I could find little. So, I asked him what he needed or wanted. A belt. So, I was trying to help find a belt. When I realized he could pick out a belt on his own...lol...I left him alone and watched. 

So, he got a belt, and I got an Oxo smooth edge can opener. I hope I like it. I wanted just a regular Oxo can opener. I almost had $60 and asked the clerk for something, anything that was about $3. She asked "what?" I said anything and she looked puzzled. Finally, when I said "I have people who will get gifts," She left and brought a big candy cane. Okay. At any rate, I spent $6 after the coupons came off and my Belk Rewards were subtracted. I either spend it online or lose it. 

If I had not felt so awful and seemed to be fainting, I could have found something for me, him, or a gift I could give. Oh well. 

I awoke at 11:45 today and felt exhausted. Last night, I dreamed I was sitting and watching tv and it just went off. I asked Tommy to see what happened. He did not respond. When he is asleep in front of the tv, sometimes he is so hard to wake up that I have to scream and that wakes me up so I cannot sleep for a bit even though I was sleepy when I started trying to wake him. I tried touching his foot one time, and he woke frightened and was very angry. His foot is the only place I can get to him. On with the dream. 

Really yelling, calling his name did not wake him. I finally raised my voice to above screaming and he struggled to get up and came to me. Well, about this time, I came out of the dream and apologized. I still feel bad about the screaming his name like I was sick or hurt. Maybe I cried wolf. Maybe next time, I won't be able to call out so many times or so loud. This has never happened to me before. I suppose the extreme exhaustion from trying to shop, being out and active for so long, and two hours sleep wore on me and caused this nightmare. 

So, I slept late and don't expect great progress, just protein for dinner. There is still plenty of carrots, onions, celery. There never were many potatoes and now there may two bites left for each of us. It looks like I need to open a can of green beans. The turkey is NOT thawing. 

Right now, I have to see if I can use these online. And, I need to order gift certificates for grandchildren.

How are your plans coming along? 


12 comments:

  1. My goodness what a long day and one that didn't end well with the nightmare.
    I am done shopping, wrapping and planning. A little more planning and some cooking for Sunday.
    Get some rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      You are doing well. I am still unwell feeling. It is always this way for me when I have a hard day. I am resting.

      Delete
  2. I know that was scary, to have a bad dream and not be able to move. Be glad that Tommy is there to call out to. You lived alone for many years and know that is even worse. Maybe should invest in a baby monitor, put one at your bedside and one by his chair or keep both of your cell phones with the ringer set high. I had a friend stay with me while recovering from a below the knee amputation. If he needed me in the night he would just call. If he needed anything and he was in his room he could just call me. It worked very well.
    I know it was a dream but you need to be prepared in case of emergency.

    I did prepare a little for Christmas dinner. I have many canned vegetables but I thought something fresh would be good. I settled on brussel sprouts and yellow squash. I am always happy to see veggies that I can just buy a few that I need like the brussel sprouts. I have potatoes, carrots and onions. I will roast them all with garlic powder and thyme.Thyme is my fvorite herb. The main protein will be shrimp and lobster tail. It is not something I have on a regular basis but got them on sale earlier knowing I would want something special for Christmas day.

    That was a great gift that Tommy received, I have had that happen once in awhile, the thought that someone wants you to have a happy holiday is so special. I received a gift like this once. A lady had her car breakdown in front of my house. She was Korean and we had some language barriers but I was able to figure out she was on her way to church. I told her I would take her there, it was not far from my home. We got there and I insisted to walk her in. She was elderly and I wanted to make sure she was safe. The congregation came running to help her. Someone spoke better english and I explained. I had to leave quickly to get back home to my husband who had just had chemo treatment.
    Several days later the biggest basket of fruit of all kinds was delivered to my home by her and her husband as a thank you. In my mind I did what any human would do, That was the first time I had ever eaten a fresh cherry. I know you and Tommy will enjoy that gift for the holiday season. He really touched someones heart. I think it could even be one of your children because he has given you a home and you are safe.

    I wish both of you a Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living alone was no problem as far as causing me distress. We do have cell phones, but they are off at night so no one will bother us. Remember, I thought I was sitting across from him, 8 feet away. He cannot hear his cell phone or house phone when he is awake!
      Fresh is always best!

      I am sure that lady was so grateful. Fruit is always a nice way to say "Thank You."

      He knows who sent the Harry & David box.

      Delete
  3. We bought some cream cheese yesterday and then decided we needed more today. We bought a generic version today for 98 cents, which was cheaper than I had seen in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I tried generic once, and it was not good. But, that is a good price.

      Delete
  4. I love cream cheese! Your prices there are amazing - yesterday I bought an 8oz tub for $5 on special, mixed in some sweet chilli sauce & are most of it while I was watching Christmas movies. Tommys hamper sounds delicious! I think hampers & fruit baskets make lovely gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That is expensive! I can eat it from a bowl with my mix-ins. He is really enjoying it. The snacks are making for good lunches and snacks.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. SAM,
      It will take time. Two hard things in one week is too much for me. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I haven't commented much of late because my iPhone refuses to permit me to. I'm at a desktop computer now so I can actually leave a comment!

      A very Happy Christmas to you and Tommy from your neighbor in Georgia.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...