Sunday, December 5, 2021

More Christmas

 Today, it was very warm out, at 5:30, it was still 69F. This was the last day free of rain. And, Tommy won't help with putting out lights on the ramp. So, I told him to return them. He quickly said, "Okay." And, he seemed happy about it. 

The wreath is finished and on the front door. It looks beautiful. Instead of a big red bow, I put a bought decoration--two bells with their own bow. And, around the greenery are five or six poinsettias on clips. I hope they don't fall off. 

Every year, I get him to straighten and fluff the 3-foot tree. He uses his forearm to straighten them, saying he cannot pull them out. So, it has never been fluffed, just mashed. It is so strange. So, we are heading into the grumpy season for him. 

I will pay someone to fluff it since I am still itching from the wreath fluffing. He hates Christmas because he might have to spend two cents extra. But, he is front and center if anyone else does the inviting, preparing, and cooking, and spending. Plus, in all these years, he has only given me one gift. But, he loves his gifts. 

Just now, I put a 6.5 lb. hen in the oven. It had been thawing for four days and was still mostly frozen. So, it will have to thaw and cook in the oven! I cannot understand how it takes so long for a small bird so long to thaw.  I ws really suffering when I got it out, out of packaging and into pan for the oven. Consequently, I left out the celery and onion, left them on the counter. UGH! I did manage to put salt, pepper, and ground sage on it. 

My hand still hurts. I have not checked to see if my hip is bruised. But, it hurts! 

We will have Stovetop Stuffing, green beans, and jellied cranberry sauce to go with it. I just had a tangerine. It appears we do not have more canned, jellied cranberry sauce, so I will cook berries. 

My next Christmas goal is to put up the tiny tree and decorate. 

9 comments:

  1. When I used to do anything except putting on the ornaments or tinsel on our old fake Christmas tree I had to wear long sleeves and gloves. There was something in the plastic of that tree that I was really allergic to. It would cause my hands especially to have a weird itching that turned red and felt hot and to the touch of the skin but weirdly felt tingly and cold in the flesh but not from the outside, inside. Hard to explain, but weird. My arms would just get red spots and itch. God only knows what terrible chemicals were probably in the plastic of that tree. There sure was something. I haven't put the big tree up since the kids have been out of the house.

    Your dinners always sound so delicious. I used to always make my own cranberry sauce, but this year we had canned whole cranberry sauce. It was so good. I want to get enough to have on hand when we have chicken or pork on a regular basis. I like to dip my pieces of meat in it and just have a few spoonfuls of it by itself. The problem with the canned whole cranberry sauce we had this year was that they almost forgot to put the whole cranberries in. It didn't have near the whole cranberries in it that my own cooked cranberry sauce has.

    I think it is so nice how you are enjoying getting your Christmas decorations up. I don't know how much I'll be able to decorate inside the house this year. I always put up garlands and get out my decorations, and my big wreath for the front door. and decorate the panes of glass in the storm door with ornaments, and the front window with stick on snowflakes.

    I start the day out ok but in a short time the movement of the gas bubble in my surgery eye starts making me feel very off balance and nauseated. The bubble moves in kind of a rocking motion and also jiggles as I move. I put a black out patch on my glasses on that lens, but that doesn't always help. 4 or 5 more weeks and the bubble should be gone. The surgeon put the longest acting kind of gas for the bubble that they have. Bummer. The surgery did close the macular hole successfully and when the bubble is gone, I will see how well my vision recovers. Hopefully, I will have some days where I am not so off balance and nauseated and I will be able to get my decorations up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      If I had put on gloves trying to get the wreath decorated, I could not have had the dexterity to put on the clips on the poinsettias. He did half the fluffing, but swore they were all fluffed! I had to take allergy med to get the swelling and redness out of my fingers and hand. It took almost 5 hours for all that to go away, so I am not sure the med helped at all.

      I have never had the whole berry cranberry sauce from a can. I wonder what happened to all your berries. I, too, dip the meat in sauce. Plus, I like to stick a forkful of dressing into the sauce and get a berry or two on the fork also. I made this bag of cranberries with half the sugar as usual.

      I thought about getting those stick-on things for glass, but all his windows are covered, so I could not see them. And, they are so absolutely filthy that I don't want to call attention to them...lol.

      This about your eye and the gas bubble is so interesting. I may have to have the same surgery. I am just one little rip away! That must be so disconcerting and inconvenient to have the bubble moving around. I hope you can do what you want without too much dizziness or nausea. Thanks for the info on this problem.

      Delete
  2. Well, I think it is official - you live with Scrooge! LOL
    I wonder why he hates it so bad. Is it all the money? My goodness, I know a lot of people who aren't crazy about the holidays - but I don't think any are that bad. Bah humbug!!!!!

    I think maybe simplifying the tree may be ideal. That way you can do it and not have to rely on him.
    Do what makes you happy and try to enjoy the season as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Thank You! No, I don't think it all about the money, but that is a big part of it. He helps me with getting the turkey in or out of the oven, holds the bag so I can put it in the cooking bag, anything to do with food...lol.

      The tree is as simple as I can do it unless I buy something different. It is 3" or 4" tall, take it out of a box and fluff it. I told him I was going to pay someone to fluff it. He said, "Good." He just doesn't know he is going to pay for it.

      He looks glum when I say how happy I am and how much I love Christmas. But, I will perserver. I WILL be happy!

      Delete
  3. I just read this and thought I should let you know if you hadn't been told yet Armour Beef and gravy got recalled
    https://wgntv.com/news/recalls/over-500000-pounds-of-canned-beef-recalled-over-high-lead-levels/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACK! Thanks, Chef. I will look into that.

      Delete
    2. Chef,
      I checked out the link. That was beef from Crider and did not involve Hormel. whew. I will listen for more news on that. I bought Hormel. Did you by Armour?

      Delete
  4. Sometime when you are feeling particularly kindly (or mischievous!) you might ask Tommy to tell you his best and worst Christmas memories. They could provide a clue as to why he feels so Scroogy at Christmas.
    But regardless of his feels, by all means please yourself and keep Christmas just as you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I have asked him those things. I do intend to keep on keeping on.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...