Thursday, December 16, 2021

Pfaltzgraff Winterberry




 Wednesday night, we saw more Christmas-themed sitcoms--The Mayor, Kenan, Young Rock, and The Christleys. I passed on Kelly Clarkson since I can barely stand to hear her speak. However, she is a fantastic singer. 

I finally put the batteries into the boom box and the quality of the music is great. Now, where did I put the white remote?

While I took a nap, Tommy put all the ornaments on the tree. It is so pretty! 




I have been wanting Christmas dishes for years. But, since I had Wedgwood "Strawberry and Vine (above)," I used those at Christmas and had an abundance of red on the table along with snowflakes. Well, I no longer have that pattern and it is discontinued. I wanted Lenox "Holiday" and changed my mind after thinking about the gold rim. So, Pfaltzgraff Winterberry service for four (head of this post) is what I purchased. Actually, it is prettier than Lenox "Holiday." I broke my bank, but it is my gift to me this Christmas. Actually, this is money I saved a penny and larger denominations at a time. Some of the money was found on the ground.

We went to Cullman today and I had one piece of mail. The rest was junk mail. I sat in the car once again at Office Max and gave the young woman a list and she shopped for me. I needed several items but settled for Lysol spray, 10 ft surge protector and a rack to hold envelopes/mail. The mail was crawling all over the table. The surge protector is dying, and I needed the Lysol right that minute. 

At the junk store where my friend has still not paid for the hamburger meal she asked me to buy for friend, I found her in bad shape. Her death seems imminent, within the year I expect. I have $14 credit for things I have given her to sell, things that I didn't want. I found two cute lamps, 2/$5. 

Double Luck green beans were $0.69 for each can. I got two and will get more, hopefully. I love this brand. Cream cheese was a 2-pack for $5 or 1-pack, 2 for $4. Guess which I bought. Even though there is a warning that cream cheese is scarce, I have not found this to be true. Have you?

By the way, did you sign up for $20 instead of buying cream cheese? It was in the previous post. 

I bought a can of Pet Milk at a high price, but I did it anyway! I cannot find the receipt, so I have no idea what I paid.

We are home. I must see if the lamps need rewiring.  Okay, only one lamp works. That's okay because I was going to rewire both or sell both as is. I love them, but for the right price... I can be fickle with my latest love.

A boneless turkey breast is destined for the oven and will be dinner tonight. Since it is 4:45, I need to get busy. Tommy is skinning carrots. The 3-lb. boneless turkey breast and a halved onion are waiting for the carrots. We will have a can of green beans.  5:15 and it is in the oven! 

Tonight, we will both have two chocolate covered cherries and one Hershey Kiss. That is it for the sweets and the dinner will not be high in carbs. So, we get Christmas candy for 11 days, but just a bit each day rather than pigging out and then going to buy more. Yes, I could and would and have done it. No more. 

What kind of pretty Christmas dishes do you use? Do you ration your sweets?

 

26 comments:

  1. Being a fan of Pfaltzgraf(my everyday dishes were the Folkart pattern)I always loved Winterberry but with my getting older I find Pfaltzgraf too heavy to lift at times....that's why I went over to the Corelle side. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,
      Corelle is light, and I love that. Yes, these are sort of heavy, so I may regret the purchase. I suppose I will know after a bit. I will just sell them. They were so cheap, I am sure I can recoup most of the costs.

      Delete
  2. I love your plates. I always wanted gold rim plates until I bought some. I ended up giving them away. I bought a nice set of white plates with embossing on the rims from Mikasa. I use them every day. I don't have seasonal anything except for the faux flowers I bought this year for Fall and Christmas season. With white I can add all kinds of things to make the setting pretty. If I had much more space I probably would have some seasonal dinnerware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I used other things on the table for the seasons and just used my white dishes, embossed with strawberries and vines, hence the name. Of course, I have NO space.

      Delete
  3. I forgot to answer your question about sweets. Yes, I do ration candies and pastries. I limit myself a bit because of all the sugar and limit the household a bit because I do most of the shopping. I don't like running out of things too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Years ago, I just did not make a pig of myself. Now, I go wild eating chocolates. With other people in the house, I know that rationing must occur, or it will all be gone soon.

      Delete
  4. I am the same way about The Christleys - I just can't stand that voice! LOL
    No shortage of cream cheese here. Sounds like a good marketing tactic to me.
    You had a busy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Seldom is he so adamant about anything on TV. I love his mother. It seems to me it is just a seasonal shortage. I was exhausted.

      Delete
  5. I have regular China and full set of stoneware so no space for separate Christmas dishes. I do have lots of Christmas bits to set a pretty table. I too am rationing candy from my birthday Your choice of dishes is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Since I no longer have either of my sets, I just went with something I can use for several months since it is just a winter berry. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. I love the Winterberry pattern! I have wished for a complete set of it for years but I have enough of the Corelle Old Town Blue dishes to set a table for 24 with all the extras so I don't NEED another set of dishes. Although I have had them for 42+ years and could use a change :). I do find the Pfaltzgraff dishes heavier than I like as I don't have the strength in my arms that I once had. That, and my friend had a set of a different pattern and they chipped rather easily. That is way too much money to pay for something that doesn't hold up. I hope that you enjoy your Winterberry dishes for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladybug,
      Thank you. I understand about lacking strength in arms. I also have torn rotator cuffs, carpal tunnel syndrome, and bad injuries to both hands. Oh, I hope these do not chip! I would be upset and go to Corelle! I will enjoy these, thank you.

      Delete
  7. I have no Christmas dishes; my only set are white with a basket weave rim. I just change out napkins/tablecloth/placemats for the seasons. I did just get a beautiful dark red/brown pottery casserole dish for free on my local "Buy Nothing" F*ceb**k group. I am excited to use it!
    There's no cream cheese shortage here, and I won't sign up to be paid not to make one. It seems like such a silly promo.
    I can't believe Christmas is 8 days away. I am just perplexed at the way time has gone this end of year. In some ways I am so far ahead, but in others I am so far behind. Weird, weird weird.
    Regardless, I am going to get out and enjoy these unseason-like temperatures. 55 degrees means a nice long walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      My red tablecloth set the tone for Christmas with the white dishes! I understand how a set of Christmas dishes is absolutely not needed. I still don't have cards out yet. Temp is mid 70s here.

      Delete
  8. I love that dish set you picked out! So pretty. If I had tons of storage I have a feeling I'd have a dishes collection addiction, haha. I'm always seeing sets that I would love to have. I have a Christmas 4 piece set I picked up at RiteAid on clearance years ago. I bought some pretty plain white plates to use and alternate place settings when I have more than 4 people for Christmas. Enjoy your new dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Thanks! I like your idea to alternate at the table. It seems your house could handle a dish collection. Good deal with the clearance Christmas dishes.

      Delete
  9. That china is just beautiful. I must admit I have a weakness for pretty china (and books). Still, it could be worse - it could be expensive purses and clothes couldn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      China and books are good weaknesses. Expensive clothes and purses don't interest me, either. Thanks. I love it.

      Delete
  10. Funny I feel the same way about Kelly CLarkson, My,mother had several sets of Christmas China and I kept one, I think it is Platzgraft pointsetta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Tommy can take her or leave her, so we don't watch her. I am going to have to look up the poinsettia pattern.

      Delete
  11. HOW DID I MISS THIS POST??? China is a passion of mine. I have three Pfaltzgraff patterns--Tea Rose, Yorktowne, and Village (all bought at thrift shops, by the way.) I also have several formal China sets, and all but two were purchased at thrift shops for a song. Of the other two, one was my mother's, (which had been her mother's) and is priceless. The other was the one DH and I picked before we were married. We were married in a January. Shortly before, we were in a department store looking at China, and we saw Lenox Winter Greetings, and fell in love with it. We decided that really, the only times we would use formal China would be Thanksgiving and Christmas, so we decided to pick that set, and keep my everyday set. (Also by Lenox, but stonweware.) If we hadn't made the decision to buy Winter Greetings, I guarantee you we would have picked Winterberry. (At the time, both Pfaltzgraff and Lenox were still made in the U.S.A.)
    https://www.replacements.com/china-lenox-winter-greetings-dinner-plate/p/3133921

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meg,
    I love china, too, but never indulged because it was too expensive. I love Tea Rose! Mine was bone china and I loved it. I think I love Winterberry enough to use it year-round, but I won't. I go to the replacement site often! I will check out Winter Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love dishes but believe it or not have never owned a full set of any one pattern!

    I like your new dishes. In fact I have sold quite a few pieces of Winterberry in the past few years.

    Currently we are using Homer Laughlin Fiesta. Talk about HEAVY! About 4 years ago I was sliding a vertical rack of Fiesta plates when 4 dinner plates slid off and hit my foot. They broke my toe! It happened that I was about to go on a trip to Cancun with my sister. I went with my toes taped and wearing one of those foot brace/shoe contraptions.

    In the attic I have Cristopher Radko Holiday Celebrations (The ones with the holly.) I used them for several years when my grandchildren were living near by. I am unable to bring them down this year. As a matter of fact I did no decorating this year.

    One of my favorite patterns is Franciscan Ivy. It is lovely at Christmas! This pattern is what the Ricardo's had on I Love Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      That is amazing you have not owned a full set. But, some pieces, like the cups are pretty much useless to me.

      I suppose you get your hands on lots of things, but I am surprised about Winterberry.

      That is why I don't have Fiesta. One plate without food is too heavy for me to carry. And, one broke your toe! I am quite sure I would have ended up with broken dishes and toes if I had bought them like I wanted.

      I looked it up and the Radko dishes are quite pretty. Too bad you cannot get them down. I suppose you have your hands full, too full to decorate.

      Well, I did not know the Ricardo's had those dishes. I will have to notice next time. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  14. Your sets of china are both very pretty. I don't use any Christmas themed dishes. I have a set of Johnson Brothers "eternal Beau" which I use on special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white Strawberry and Vine was destroyed in my house so no longer have it. I used it instead of Christmas dishes. I love eternal beau! I was not familiar with that pattern. Very prettty.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...