Monday, December 20, 2021

Sunday Help with Floor

 Why the floor? Because I could not bend to get things off the floor! Besides, you cannot vacuum the floor until you find the floor! My friend had someone in mind to help me. I asked about the person...she said a 50-year-old black man. Hallelujah, someone is coming! He dusted a bookcase and all the items on it, the tv and everything on the table that held the tv, and a step-table next to the TV. He picked up items and bags on the floor and at end of sofa and between an old recliner. Tommy and I threw out lots of papers and junk lying in the midst of good stuff, stuff I needed, wanted, and should be put away--bottle of vitamin C, groceries in a bag, a huge tote bag full of tote bags, and other items. 

Much to my surprise, Tommy has a Dr. Who Role Playing Game. Tommy was not surprised since he knew he had it. He might sell it. 

There were four pouches in the grocery bag and not old at all. I had set the bag beside me, it slipped off, and I covered it up with several other items. 

He carried the very many light items down the hall and put them in front of the bedroom where we keep things. The heat register is off in there. I can go in and put them where I want them instead of having someone just put them anywhere. 

The living room looks bright even with only half the furniture dusted! It's amazing. It feels like my back is collapsing when I bend to dust. So, I am not lazy, just in pain. 

My friend brought him here after their church was over and we took him home. He will back next Sunday. At $15/hour, he is a jewel, a real find. Unfortunately, I cannot have him here for more than two hours at a time. It exhausts me. I sat the whole two hours. Tommy took all the plastic bags and divided them. Some, of heavier weight or larger, we will use. The regular store bags will be recycled. 

We waited until he was almost here, and we could not find the Endust. So, Tommy had to go to Publix after the guy arrived. Tommy brought back two boxes of cereal for himself. He has learned about "bogo" and uses it.

We watched Homecoming: A Christmas Story. I love Patricia Neal, but not for this part. Once Upon a Christmas is a trio of Disney character cartoons. The first was about Donald Duck, the second, Goofy, and the third was "and there are others." Cute. 

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was wonderful as usual. 

Tommy handed me a penny and said he got it at Publix when he went for the Endust. I was puzzled. I kept asking him why he gave it to me since I knew he used a credit card. Finally, I understood. TOMMY FOUND A PENNY. I always tell him to look when he pumps the gas, and I will get out and pick it up. He was sitting on an electric cart, so he could get it off the floor right next to the electric cart. 

For dinner we had turkey breast and a cookie pan full of carrots, potatoes, onions, and celery. I drizzled olive over everything and sprinkled the seasoning over them and baked for an hour. Tommy has one more helping of the turkey. And, there is a whole bowl full of the vegetables. He has one more helping of the turkey. 

I absolutely cannot stand raw celery unless it is diced and in tuna or potato salad. I cannot stand cooked celery unless it is chopped and in soup or something. Well, I have been cooking three-inch stalks as flavor in many things for years and for Tommy and he never eats it. Today, it was more trouble, but I sliced the stalks in 1/4-inch slices and we both loved them cooked with the other vegetables. So, I suppose I am doomed to slice celery stalks so we will both eat celery.  

Decorating is done! I did not get one thing done, but it is no problem. Now, it is on to cooking. We will eat well, but I have nothing that I am stressing over right now.  

I must nap. Tell me what you want!


12 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you have found somewhen thst will do a god job for you at a decent price.I am not your age but have trouble getting up and down. I can't do many things that were no trouble before. I only have so much energy and when it is gone, it is gone. I am hesitant about having strangers in my home. If it comes down to it I would just call my son and wife to come help. They are happy to do so I just don't want to do that unless I have to. If I find someone that can be vouched for I will give it a try. I did get out today for my booster shot and to stock up on groceries thaat will see me thru the end of the year. Everything that I needed and wanted was on sale, that is always fun. I have enough meat of all kinds now in the freezer including bacon and sausage for a couple of months. My pantry is full of can goods of all kinds, rice, beans, pasta,flour, sugar and yeast. I also got our favorite chocolate covered cherries. I plan to freeze some to see how they hold up. I have dogs so I ordered and had delivered many bags of dog food. Some of it will go to the animal shelter along with some cat food I got at a bargain. I do not have a cat but I do love them. I have had all my check ups at the doctor and have a 3 month supply of meds. If we go back to lockdown I am fully prepared.
    I am so happy that you and Tommy are having a good holiday season. Good friends are hard to come by and should be valued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texxas,
      She has known this man for 20 years, so I am sort of comfortable with having him here. You do sound prepared for shutdown. We have plenty to eat and tp, too! I am quite sure chocolate covered cherries will be fine if frozen. We are making it. thanks.

      Delete
  2. Good help is a gift- even when paying for it. We used to take turns or share the time cleaning my mom and dad's once they got older. It was no bother since we were visiting anyway and made their lives easier. When they moved to the townhouse, two of us could clean, dust, vaccum, mop, and bathrooms, everything in about an hour, but they were neat people but we wanted to keep it pretty clean because if my mom's asthma and avoid any tripping hazards. We wish my MIL would accept more help, but she too is very tidy, so does a job a day and her house is always clean. She's 81 and busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM<
      I don't mind the cost. Well, Tommy paid for it, but he does not mind, either. He did mind when the woman left the stove and refrigerator seal nasty. Maybe she will accept more. Trip hazards and hygiene are most important. I think my sinuses and asthma are causing me trouble because of the dust in the house! I wish I could do a job a day! lol

      Delete
  3. I'm sure glad you found someone nice to help you get your cleaning projects done.

    My project for tomorrow is to be cleaning around my recliner where I sit to watch TV and also sleep since my first knee surgery. For me with my knees and neck issues it is much more comfortable than the bed, except when I had to sit in it after my eye surgery while keeping my head in a looking down position all day. Anyway, I have all kinds of stuff gathered around my chair, and a lot of things have fallen between the arm of the chair and the seat cushion, so they are under the chair. Until this week I have been having a lot of light headed-ness and slight nausea because of the movement of the gas bubble in my eye affecting my balance, so I have not been able to hang my head down to get stuff out from under the chair. Tomorrow I will use my yardstick to push everything out from under it, and then I will put all of the other stuff that is around the the chair so it was within my reach back where it really belongs, like in the bedroom or closet. Eye drops, paper tape to hold my eye shield on when needed, various creams and ointments, a few items of makeup, small notebook, asthma inhaler, pens,markers, tissues,
    etc., and that is just the top of the table. What a mess! I don't even know what all has made it's way onto the floor. It's just the fact that it has been since October 29 (eye surgery day) that I haven't been putting stuff away or organizing it, because there were so many days that I was half dizzy and sickish, or busy trying to cook, and trying to keep up with other stuff on the occasional good day, and having such a strange exhaustion on so many of the days, which tests showed may be caused by a very low thyroid level, because I have had quite a few mornings when I completely forgot to take my Synthroid pill first thing in the morning. I have been taking them for several years now and not been forgetful until recently. It is an annoyance to have remember to take them first thing when waking, and then not eat anything for 1/2 to 1 hour before eating. I wish they could invent a thyroid pill that could be taken at other times of day, and eating before or after didn't make any difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy takes a cane and cleans under his recliner and all around, scraping and pushing all that has managed to get under and around his chair. I have that same mess on the table beside me. It needs a good cleaning. I don't know how you managed to keep yourself looking down! I often have dizziness and nausea. Not taking Melatonin fixed the continual dizziness. I take my thyroid medicine at night. In the morning I take the med for reflux and must wait an hour to eat. I could not stand having to wait longer for thyroid med. I know my doctor said to take it in the morning.

      Delete
    2. I was so worried that I would not physically be able to look down for a week, that I put off the surgery as long a I could. When I would see people on google sitting in those massage chairs with their head on a horseshoe cushion but with their head and neck extended out pretty far, and worst of all their knees bent up under them in the chair with their feet on the floor, I was sure I was unable to do that with my upper neck/back problems plus my stiff knees. Then the surgeon said I could just sit in the chair and look at the floor or watch TV on my lap with a notebook or phone, as long as my eyes were looking down as much as possible. My husband would synchronize the notebook we have with the big tv and we could watch the tv shows we watch together. It bothered me to read on the notebook, so I couldn't do that. and it was uncomfortable to watch tv for very long. I kept my eyes and head down as well as I could physically, and I think I did pretty well doing it, and I mostly slept in my chair with my head looking down lightly braced with a towel around my neck. I don't know if I could have done it much longer than a week. I was so relieved when the images they took showed the macular hole had completely closed. He used a long acting gas bubble in my eye, so that is still in my eye, though getting smaller. It was supposed to be gone in about 8 weeks, I think this bubble is going to last a bit longer than that. It looks like a fairly large black, slightly transparent circle as I try to see anything. I can't see it from the outside of my eye in a mirror when I try to with my good eye.
      I would encourage anyone with a macular hole to get the surgery and do their very best to follow the face/eyes down position the surgeon wants you to do. I did it a well as I could physically, and the surgery was successful as far as the macular hole closing. I am o thankful that I was able to do the positioning enough that my eye healed.

      Delete
    3. All the leaning forward would be hard on my acid reflux, eating in general. But, I would do whatever it took. It sounds so hard! Good for you. Thanks for the information.

      Delete
  4. I just came upstairs to read blogs and take a nap! Our cleaning crew will be here in ten minutes but I don't let them do my bedroom, I'm too picky and private. They are noisy and talk to each other from room to room while the vacuum is running. Makes me nuts!
    Last night we went to the western wear store to grab boots for two of the grands. They (3 and 6 years old) requested the same thing I bought them only one size larger. When we got to the register, the same two pair rang up at $30 more than last year!
    Now on to napping and then wrapping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      The cleaning company I called last year had a crew scheduled to clean my house in an hour with 4 men! No, not a crew since I have to tell them where to put stuff that is strewn about. AND, no to any man cleaning and straightening my bedroom! Reading and a nap sounds like a good idea for me right now, but I only got up ten minutes ago.

      Delete
  5. It's great that you've found someone who will do things exactly the way you want. If someone tries to help you in a way you don't like, that's not really helpful, now is it?
    I had a friend on Synthroid who said her endocrinologist told her the effectiveness is only reduced by 10% or so when food is taken too soon. I take my pill and then go downstairs for coffee immediately. I need my java more than I need that 10%, y'know?

    I ALSO do not care for Patricia Neale in The Homecoming! She was so stiff-necked in some ways and such a wuss in others. I thought her accent was over the top as well. Love that Ellen Corby (Grandma Walton) though!

    Last night I made buffalo mac'n'cheese for the fam. I saved a little of the cheese sauce and put it over already-cooked spaghetti squash and baked it in a separate dish. Darned if it wasn't tasty! Much better for me that eating the pasta.

    Off to run more Xmas errands. I am so stymied when it comes to stocking stuffers this year! I just can't think of good small gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue,
    So far, he is a jewel. My doctor told me to take mine in the morning but said nothing about food!

    She is good as a wife or girlfriend, but was not motherly.

    I try to leave off any other carbs if I have any pasta.

    Power bank, 12 or 9 piece puzzle, pack of pens, stylus, kitchen timer, lip balm, I could go on and on,

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...