Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Contributing

 The person in charge of a food bank is a friend of mine. When I see food exceptionally low-priced, I call her. When I bought the mayonnaise for $1.25, I called her before we left the parking lot and told her. She called me today and said she was in town and went to the grocery store where I saw the cheap mayo. It turned out there were coupons for $1 off on most of the jars. She checked with a friend of hers to see if she could use the coupon on reduced merchandise. She could. Then, she checked to see if she would be limited to the number of coupons she could use at that store. She ended up getting 38 jars of mayo for $0.25, quarter each. Through the years I have called her and alerted her to bargains in all sorts of items at multiple stores. 

I know I don't contribute cash to food banks, but I contribute a way to save money and buy more for the food bank. I also have been giving things to churches for their yard sales which often funds the food banks. I cannot do much, but I do what I can. 

Tuesday, I changed my mind about four times as to what dinner would be. The only constant was the collards I was cooking. We ended up have chicken, collards, and a very tiny bit of the potatoes I cooked with the chicken on Monday. Maybe tomorrow, I will cook the pork loin, bake the sweet potatoes and have collards. 

Since our recliners are at the store, I will now have two recliners to give away. I hope to have that donation in place before the new chairs are delivered. We cannot get rid of the chair Tommy sits in since he needs to sit in it until the replacement comes. The other is not being used, so it can go early. 

The towels soaked in WD40 were washed separately today. I used Tommy's washing powder instead of my ALL and also used Oxyclean. I am going to try to find BIZ again in hopes that works. My other choice will be putting them in the kitchen sink in a pan and washing them with hot water and Dawn. Do you have a solution to getting WD40 out of these dishcloths? I won't throw out the cloths, just relegate them to be cleaning cloths. 

By the way, I decided to read all the stuff on the internet about removing it, so I really need people to just tell me what has worked for them. Oxyclean did not work. These towels were soaked with WD40! 

22 comments:

  1. Honestly, I would just throw out the towels, especially since they were soaked. I would be afraid of gunking up and ruining both washer and dryer. Residental washers can't handle that level of oil. And while WD-40 is flammable, not combustible, I still would not want petroleum oil reside in my machines.
    Not to mention the fumes are toxic and the product is absorbable through the skin. It's just not worth trying to clean such a hazardous solvent out of those towels.
    Towels are easily replaceable. Your washer, dryer, and general health aren't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      The flammable part bothers me. Tommy assures me it won't happen and never could. I beg to differ. He scares me.

      Delete
  2. PS: I'd say alerting the food bank director to a good deal is just as good as making a monetary donation. You are helping them make the most of their money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      That is sort of how I figure it. I was not sure how others viewed it.

      Delete
  3. Great deal for the food pantry. That is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any old rags or towels soaked in a petroleum product can ignite so I would throw them out ASAP! Years ago our mechanic's shop burned down from a pile of oily rags that ignited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      We have been keeping are keeping outdoors. The fumes are still strong, too. That is scary.

      Delete
  5. Soaking them in a strong solution of dish soap might help, but they might be toast. That is why shops that work on cars have disposable rags. Good for you on alerting the food bank people, that is a big help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      The Dawn is next. These were good dish towels! I told him to grab anything. He did, and so did I when I went to help.

      She really appreciates it and always goes to buy it when I see food cheap.

      Delete
  6. that's a great way to contribute and I'm sure the coordinator really appreciates those good tip on deals. I have no idea what works on wd-40, you'll have to let us know what ended up working.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One,
    I try to help all I can. I will post what works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on alerting your food bank friend about food bargains. I'm sure it's a big help. As for the rags, I would definitely throw them out for all the reasons others have mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Thanks. Even if I would keep them, they stink and I cannot breathe around them!

      Delete
  9. My guess is the only thing that even remotely might work is the Dawn. If you try that and they still smell of WD-40, then I would get rid of them as others have suggested.

    I think your actions have contributed greatly to the food banks. You've done far more than most people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dawn is the only other thing I will try. Then, I give up.

      I thought this was a good way to help since I always look for bargains...lol.

      Delete
  10. I'd be afraid to keep any WD40 soaked towels in the house. I would throw them out as soon a possible. Even if they are outside,or if they are in your garage,or even stored up against your house they could catch something on fire. Petroleum soaked rags are very combustible. Towels are pretty cheap at Dollar General Store, you could buy some new ones there to replace the WD40 ones. It's cheaper than having a house or garage fire.

    I hope you will get your new chairs very soon and totally enjoy them.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      They are outdoors on front of the rock porch and the house is brick. We are not taking chances. I won't be buying dollar store towels. I have plenty of towels, just hate losing things.

      I think I will love the chairs and I know Tommy will, too.

      Delete
  11. Lestoil poured on area, let sit over night (enclosed bucket as it stinks) and then wash in hot water the next day. I usually rewash with laundry soap to help get rid of odor completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      That is just what I need. Unfortunately, the towels went into the outdoor trash half an hour ago. They may be at the road now. But, I have heard of Lestoil, just could not bring it to mine.

      Delete
  12. have you tried vinegar on the WD-40 stains? I use vinegar (full strength soaked on a stain for 30m) for stains, and also to deodorize laundry (have dogs..). It's pretty good for that stuff. WD-40 is USED for stain removal on clothing... (no lie) so, it's the SCENT you want to get out. WD-40 has a strong detergent component in it... so, it's probably already washed out. But, that darn smell..takes forever to go away.

    Another choice would be Coca-cola.
    The phosphoric acid in the coke is good at breaking down stains, and removing smells (which is the real problem with WD-40) Pour it on, let it sit, then I'd rinse with a good amount of soapy water (Dawn) and then wash as usual.

    While Biz is my favorite for ORGANIC stains, the smell that WD-40 leaves may not be organic in nature. I would save the precious BIZ (that is so hard to find these days) for other uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meetsy,
      This is good information. Thanks. The rags have gone to garbage at road. I just did not want to deal with the smell in the kitchen. It was hard to breathe even after the rags were washed.

      I cannot find Biz, which I do need for something else. I am going to order it from Amazon. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...