Monday, February 28, 2022

Decluttering the Storage Unit Starts and Sunday Cooking

 I rented a very small unit and convinced a guy to help me move stuff from the large storage unit into it. He just had to put it on a sort of flatbed cart in the storage facilities to push it from one unit to the other unit. Time was a biggie for him. Yet, he went to the wrong storage facility! So, that was my fault when I have told him before which storage place I use...all my fault. You can see how the whole ordeal started. 

The idea is to put things in a space where I can work at my pace to sort boxes and empty the ones completely or of things I do not want. If he put those in the small unit, I can sit in there and work at a table with Tommy's help or not. But, nooooo. He thought putting the things I wanted to keep over in the small unit was best so it did not have to be moved back to the large unit. 

That makes absolutely no sense. When people put things in the large unit for me, sometimes things were only stacked a foot high. Yet when the last of my belongings were put in, they had to be stacked 6 feet high in some places! So, things were and mostly still are stacked against the door with no place to sit or table to work. Nothing was boxed, not my idea, so stuff is stacked in huge bags. The boxed items were mostly in a very small storage unit. It is a mess that was out of my control. The city workers did as they were told. I had no say. 

The plan is to get rid of the small unit as soon as I have cleared out room to sit in the large room with Tommy and a table and work. I will keep boxes, scissors, packing tape and a Sharpie in the unit from now on. Yes, this will take a long time, but it has been here for over two years with no progress. Now, progress starts. 

There is a dumpster outdoors for trash. Other things can be sold or given away. But, I had to start somewhere. I am not dragging it to Tommy's house and then have to do something else with it. This will take months! But, the process is started. 

Friend is going to have a conniption fit when he has to move things back like a sewing machine in a box. I cannot make decisions when anyone is challenging every decision--"a machine, why do you want to keep a sewing machine?, what are you going to do with these heavy-duty extension cords?" This went on and on for a little more than an hour. 

He was in a hurry, but when I said the extension cords were for the generator, he went into detail as to how to connect a generator to the breaker box. I no longer have a generator and had told him. Tommy does not do electrical work, nor do I, yet we listened to his speech about exactly how to do this. I did interrupt a couple of times, to say we could not do that kind of work. My complaints did not deter him at all. 

He was in a big hurry, telling me to hurry up and decide what he was to carry to the other unit. Yet, he would not shut up to let me think. He kept pointing at things and naming them and saying he would carry that. Can you see how I wanted to kill him? Yet, in spite of his needing to go, he stood in the other unit where Tommy was and complained about how I was doing the move. Tommy said he did nothing but complain! Yet, he had time for that. I had Tommy stay in the other unit, sitting on his walker because I did not trust guy to throw things down or deliberately destroy something. 

That is my plan and I have started. I do not want to explain anything to anybody, anywhere. The only thing I have asked has been if I can hire someone to come for a few hours at a time. I cannot sit there for 12 hours like my friend suggested! He complains I need to get up earlier, get there earlier, work for 12 hours and just get it done. I would not last that long, neither would Tommy. And, then we would have to drive home in the dark and be exhausted. He knows my health problems, sees me walk and try to get up from the walker, yet he presses and accuses me of not getting medical care. 

I finally got him to shut up when I said he was stressing me out, causing heart palpitations and we had to leave and go home. If you hear I died in my storage unit, know it was his incessant carping. He did not say one pleasant word! 

That was our Saturday along with the stop at Publix and other store, eating in park that is finally open. Just writing this was stressful! 

I will pay more for someone who just moves things and does not challenge every decision! Have you ever had a project that is sabotaged by someone's mouthy refusal to listen? And, you get off-the-wall suggestions and continuous arguing and challenges? He set his own price--$10/hr.

Sunday evening, we cooked meat! Tommy used the utensil to cut and chop 1.5 lbs of ground beef, 93%/7 %. I put the chicken Italian sausages on the stovetop to cook for his eating pleasure. Then, I put a packages of chicken tenders and a package of Perdue chicken breast chunks in a cooking bag and put those in the oven. His Italian sausages will stay in the refrigerator. I will freeze some of the tenders and chunks for later. All our meals this week will include the newly cooked proteins. We still have leftover vegetables and several bags of various salads. All the proteins were given to me. Several of the salads were free, too. One dead salad had to go. 

He had some of the spaghetti sauce that was just too spicy for me. He wanted it on tacos. (it did taste like spicy taco seasoning) He thought we still had the soft tacos. I had the hard, shaped tacos. So, he put sauce on some ground beef, put a huge pile of salad and some cheese on top, then broken up tacos on that and was happy. He added other things, but I forgot what. 

On Monday, I will freeze two of the sausages, a portion of the chicken, and possibly some of the cooked ground beef. There is too much to eat before it starts to go bad. 

Then, he just went in and washed the skillet where I cooked the Italian sausages, the pot where I let the beef stick, and later went in and washed the cookie sheet where the cooking bag leaked and the juice had burned. He could have waited until later. I was not even thinking about his washing dishes. He waited for the cooking bag in order to take out all the garbage, especially meaty garbage. 

We are a good team!

Have you ever had a situation where a paid helper/friend harrassed every well thought out decision you made and affected your health and progress?  


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you'd be better off hiring someone else, even if they are slightly more expensive. You did not hire him to opine about how and why and what. You hired him to move things the way you wanted, where you wanted. Why pay him to do things to your disliking, against your direction? he's a waste of your time and money.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breen,
      I think he is a waste of my time and money, too. I have gone everywhere and asked friends if they know someone I can hire, and no takers. I was complaining to him and asking him. He said, "Okay, you can pay me $10/hr, and I will help you, but it has to be when I can do it." In other words, not at my convenience.
      Fair enough. But, I knew it would be traouble! He wears me out.

      Plus, he is going to be mad when I have him move things back, like the machine, the heaviest thing he moved.

      Delete
  2. No when I get help I so appreciate it. I would go nuts also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      You think I should be appreciative of abusive language and not really helping, just causing chaos?

      Delete
  3. Our storage unit is our 8000 sq ft barn. Goal is to clear it this spring... I hope we can at least do half of it...If I clear Daddy's stuff, Mother's stuff, kids stuff and late husband's stuff it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Hopefully, you don't have to go through what he puts me through.

      Delete
  4. Maybe next time you could "entice" your friend inside the storage unit then slam the door shut and lock it up for a while. That way you'd get some peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Please don't tempt me to find peace as I might get lethal. lol

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry people feel they can treat you in this manner. You've described how others have behaved toward you in this way. I cannot fathom "helping" someone by bossing them about and arguing and telling them they're wrong. If you're doing a service for someone, it needs to be done the way they want it done! I would be so happy to assist you if I lived closer! This makes me so angry for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn,
      I have found out that people who "volunteer" to help really think they can straighten things out and take full advantage of someone needing help. The thing is, I am offering $15/hr. But, it has to be done my way. I don't mind the occasional suggestion, but these people want to be the boss of me in the most brutal way. Friend volunteered. But, he has his eye on carrying off what he wants by belittling my wish to keep something valuable.

      Delete
  6. I would be so annoyed. You didn’t pay him for his brains, you paid him for his brawn! Moving stuff does not require his mouthy opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I tried nicely to let him know I had it figured out. But, a know-it-all cannot understand plain language.

      Delete
  7. PS Congratulations and best of luck on the start of your project! Do it as you see fit so you can feel good about the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks. He actually moved things I did not want moved and refused to move things that needed moving! He will be so surprised when I have him move things back in a week or so.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...