Thursday, March 31, 2022

Thursday and Ducks

 Thursday, we had to go to Cullman to pay for my PO Box. I had tried it before, but yesterday was the final day. My mail would be dropped in the garbage if it was not paid by March 31. So, ill as I was, we had to go. 

I had been told I could pay it at any PO. But, that did not work. Online did not work, either. So, yesterday, ill as I felt, we both tried to make it happen. Tommy was on the phone and I was online. Finally, he got someone on the phone who would help him online. So, he handed the phone to me and she talked me through it. There is no way that I could have figured out what to do. But, she was so helpful.  Again and again, I filled out form after form. 

She was baffled, too, as to why this did not work. 

Tommy went in and told the guy he wanted to pay the box rent. He commented to the employee that the online option just would not work. The employee said lots of people complained it did not work as they drove to PO to pay the rent. 

I wanted a chicken breast, so he went in Publix and bought one and a thigh for him. But, he was given two thighs. I hate thighs and gave most of mine to Tommy. After we left the lake where we ate, I took the receipt, the chicken bones to prove it was a thigh and went into the store myself. The woman was dense at the at the cs desk. She finally leaned over the counter with the bag where chicken was placed with two sticky receipts, one that said breast and a separate on that said thigh. She talked to my like I was the village idiot, point to the word "thigh" and said, "see right here, it says "thigh" and looked at me with much sympathy. I snatched the brown bag she had in my face and told her she did not get it. She volunteered to get her manager. He came and she lurked. He understood the first time I explained it. And, gave me a full refund for both pieces of chicken. I was way too ill to deal with some idiot. 

Jars of peanuts were bogo, so I got two for Tommy. I decided to get a chicken finger since I had little. THEN, I saw very pretty strawberries. In the deli they used a fruit/vegetable wash on the strawberries. So, my lunch was chicken breast and strawberries. Tommy had a thigh and most of my thigh. Chicken and strawberries are an excellent lunch, much better than BK. 

In another store, I found red grapes for $0,99/lb. and Vlasic relish for $0.99 for a 10 oz jar. We now have four more relish, two sweet and two dill.

When we left here, I wanted lunch, go to PO, and to second store. Publix was a trip to straighten out order. There were other chores to do, but I was not up to anything else. 

I did not want to go to the auto supply or art store as I had planned. 

Oh, I forgot. I went to Office Max for a charger.  They brought it to the car at the curb. I have always been given a cell phone charger with the cell phone. Not this time. Then, the charger fits the phone on one end and a usb port on the other. There is no wall box into which to plug the charger cable. sigh Thankfully, I have half a dozen wall box plugs for a usb. By the way, Verizon had a $25 or $30 charger. I passed on that. 

There were not many ducks at the lake where we were parked. Most of the ducks were over where people might feed them or they could find scraps. We like seeing the ducks upend themselves and stick head into the water and right themselves. Today, I was grateful the sky was overcast. It was more soothing than the bright sun I like. About 1 pm, the clouds allowed the sun to break through. By the time we arrived home, there were no clouds in the sky. 

When I awoke on Thursday, I had sinus pressure, ears felt full, and throat was sore. My chest is tight. None of this was happening when I was at the doctor on Wednesday! So, on Friday, I will call his nurse and see what he can give me. I know I want prednisone! 

Allergies are not good!


12 comments:

  1. You would think the postal service would sort out the online payment! It's 2022!
    If nothing else motivates them, they should be encouraging online payment because of covid.

    I'm sorry you're so unwell. My daughter suffered terribly with sinus issues, they still crop up at times but if it gets to be too repetitive she reverts to the practices reccommended by the acupuncturist: only drink warm drinks, only eat warm food, blow dry hair after washing, keep the neck warm.

    I hope you sson feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I found out on my own that I need to keep my neck warm. No one has ever mentioned this to me, and it is amazing after what your daughter was told. I am an inveterate wearer of scarves. If the very front of my neck, especially, is not covered, I become ill.

      What if a person does not live close enough to make a trip to the specific PO where payment needs to be made. This seems like having to make a car payment to the dealer where I bought a car instead of using another method. I can mail it to the PO, so I suppose I will. But, what if they lose it? lol

      Delete
  2. My slight dyslexia read this as "Thursday and Drunks"

    My allergies have a break here in MI where there is no pollen as nothing is growing yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I am not dyslexic, but often read things wrong and am horrified, then figure out what I should have read. Everything is blooming here. Plus, the dampness makes the mold bloom, too.

      Delete
  3. I am proud of you for going back to the store and making them accountable for their error. Many people would not but I want what I paid for and have no problem returning a bad item. My son would just cringe when I would do this. Now he is on his own, spending his hard earned money. He is learning that he must do this, if he paid for something he should get the product or service he purchased.

    I am sorry you still bad. Can you tell me why the steroid would help? I have never taken those for allergies or the symptoms you shared. Have you tried any over the counter allergy medicine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      Leave me hungry by your mistake and I will be back to deal with it.

      Steroids for what steroids do--loosen chest congestion, ear and sinus congestion.

      I take Claritin only.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully you will get what you need to feel better!

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear you're still feeling so ill :( You got a lot done for being so sick! Scored some good deals too it sounds like! I've only had bad luck with after market phone chargers, not sure why. Especially car chargers, I've never bought one that worked & I've paid a lot of money for the name brand ones, I swear it's a scam! Sometimes I'd rather just buy a new phone with a new charger LOL

    The Post Office debacle is frustrating but glad you got it figured out in time. Question though - why do you even bother having a PO box there instead of having your mail forwarded to your current residence? Seems like you spend a lot of time driving out of your way to get your mail & I just don't understand why bother? I bet you have a good reason though, I'm probably missing something.

    Hope you feel better soon! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bri,
      In the beginning it was a good idea...lol. However, all along there were other reasons for the trip. This last time, we left off three things. And, Tommy said I only wanted to stay in my driveway for thirty seconds.

      I have never had a moment's trouble with an after-market phone charger. Just watch. Now, I will.

      Delete
  5. See, this is why people don't seem to recognize that doing things can be painful for you. You get a lot done even when you feel awful! I am always impressed by your perseverence. But like you said, if you ever stop moving, you'll...stop.
    I always have trouble with after-market phone products. Hope that isn't the case for you. But Apple products are built that way specifically, I firmly believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      It seems most days I don't do much until I sit down and type what I did! But, it keeps us going and it keeps Tommy doing things. I did get one charger, but I want one for car, too. I think I will put the "good" charger in the car and bring the aftermarket one in house.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...