Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Tuesday Stocking Up

 After Sue and Kim told me to plant the Romaine, I did. However, the reason I was waiting was because I was afraid the winds and rain we expected would beat it down. Sure enough, the storms raged, the wind blew and the rain beat down. Since it is dark, I cannot see how the Romaine fared. 

The Romaine in a pot on the porch may not last long as it is extremely hot there, hot much sooner than the back yard garden where I planted it last year. I may go to Lowe's and get another two plants for the backyard. 

Tuesday, I did something I cannot, must not, will not do again. I helped someone at a level that made me hurt like I have not in a long time. I can barely walk and everything hurts. 

A person could not make it to the food giveaway since she had a three-hour job. I offered to pick it up. Not only did we have to bring it into the house, we had to take it back out to the car, and then put it into a plastic box in her driveway. Usually, food and such is in a bag and tied hard. So, I can feel that one bag is meat, another is bread, or there might be produce. 

This time, the only bag that gave away a portion of its contents was a bag with frozen meat. Lots of the other items were just thrown in the window of the car--bagels and such.  The plastic box is too low and too short. So, I had to work bent to the ground, open the bag with meat and spread it out and arrange items so the box would close. I imagine in two hours the meat was all thawed. My back and knees will not recover for the rest of the week. 

Besides chicken breasts and drumsticks, I received ground bison and ground pork.  Some days, we receive lots of meat, mostly meat. Today was that day. Other days, there is so much bread we must freeze half a dozen items. One day, it was several salad greens. Unfortunately, one day was 90%  sweets.  Thankfully, the freezer stores most of the excess. Then, I give away the rest, what we will not eat. 

The woman we helped was overjoyed with her food. But, she must make it easier for me to drop it off at her house. I don't want to be responsible for storing it here! But, she has never asked for us to do so. 

Today, was supposed to be bad weather with possibilities of tornadoes, high winds. With that there is a chance of losing power. The news is over and it appears we are safe here even though there have been tornadoes elsewhere. 

Tuesday, I caught the last day of sales in ads at Publix. I found Libby's vegetables 5/$4. That made green beans $0.80/can, a great price. You did know I would be purchasing green beans? I bought two of Newman's Own spaghetti sauce 2/$4. I bought ten cans that had Dec. 2024. No, I have not overbought. green beans. 

After today, we have at least seven days of sunshine forecast. That makes me happy. 

Did you have storms today? How bad? Have you planted more than two Romaine plants? 

12 comments:

  1. It is supposed to be 70 degrees today and I am hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      When it is 70F, that is a nice warm day but not too hot. I am hoping for you.

      Delete
  2. Glad to know our reminders worked! LOL. I have never planted romaine. It's reasonably cheap in the stores and I can't be bothered.
    But soon I will sow sugar snap peas in my 2 tall cement urns on my south-facing front porch. I stick tall iron obelisks in the urns so the vines can climb. They look so pretty AND provide food. I do have to water/feed them heavily, but that's no problem. After the peas finish I plant regular flowers for the summer.
    I also have 2 small but wide urns that I will sow with radishes!

    It was awfully nice of you to pick up groceries for that lady. But now you will suffer the rest of the week!

    She needs to supply you with a proper cooler and cold packs. And have it sitting near her entrance on a table/bench so you needn't continually bend and straighten to fill it. That's not asking too much.

    I'm glad the tornadoes missed you. They are scarier than hurricanes, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Two heads of Romaine were $4.98, so I will grow at least these two heads that cost me more. Since I can eat the lettuce over time, and bought will soon perish, I think maybe it is worth growing. It soon enough bolts.

      I told her I could not do it again and bend so far. That plastic box just warms it all and makes bread sweat and mold sooner. I was nice and told her I could not do it again on the ground. I told her it had to be higher. She was sorry and said she would do something.

      I like your setup for peas. It does sound pretty and handy. Now that I know I like roasted radishes, I have two wide and squat pots that will get short carrots and radishes.

      Thanks. We were happy they did not hit here or even near here.

      Delete
    2. OOh, good idea! I never considered those short carrots. Now one urn will get radishes and the other carrots!

      Delete
    3. I wonder if I could actually have a second harvest of both carrots and radishes.

      Delete
  3. PPS: OOOOOH!! Meant to tell you--I finally tried your Coke and orange juice concoction! We actually had both items in the house at the same time. Talk about your weird confluence.

    ANYHOW, I tried it, mixed half and half, just as you said many posts ago. And you know what? It's pretty good!

    To me it tastes rather fancy & cocktailish, so I would pour it over a tall glass of ice and add a shot of good vodka while I was at it. Because why not?

    So that's 2 odd drink combos you've recommended that really do taste good. What an educator you are! ;^) ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I should really not have the coke and oj, but I miss it. You are so funny putting in the vodka. Why not? I certainly don't have any vodka in the house, but I could.

      I have other odd drinks, too.

      Delete
  4. You should be able to get a second harvest by planting radishes/carrots in September. I don't know how cold temps drop at night during your winters, but you might be able to get a winter crop, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Last year, a woman told me I would have a radish harvest in a month, so I thought I could plant again in a month.

      Delete
    2. I had no idea radishes could be ready so soon. But I had a good look at many radish seed packets today, and you are right--some of them said they would be harvestable in 30 days. That's kind of astonishing--from seed to food in a month. Mother Nature is too awesome for words.

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      I don't eat many, but once a month harvest suits me. I wonder what else is ready in a month.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...