Monday, March 21, 2022

Savoy Cabbage

 Monday was another day without much sleep the night before. But, I did not take a nap. I accidentally went to sleep for only an hour in my chair...lol. Monday was a catch up day. I went around putting away things left out for two weeks. I could have done more, but I didn't. It is amazing the things that get out of place when I am ill. Tommy even carried things to their proper place when I was ill, but I didn't ask him to put away some things.

I finally cut up the cabbage and put it on to cook to freeze. It was a rather shocking cabbage, all wrinkly. It turns out it is a Savoy cabbage. I don't recall having this variety of cabbage before. It will be midnight Monday before it is done. Yes, it is late here. 

Sunday night, Tommy went into the kitchen and washed all the pots, pans, and skillets and cleaned the sink after washing dishes in the sink. I did not expect him to do this at midnight! Earlier, he chopped and cooked the ground sirloin and then had it on top of a salad along with tomatoes, carrots, and cucumber. He had the same meal Monday night. I had the chopped meat with cheese on top and cabbage and tomatoes. 

It should be stormy Tuesday, so we need to remember to leave our chairs down, not lifted, when we get out. We just stand up with the lift and then use the remote for lifting to sit it back down. Having been ill, I did not attend to getting the battery pack for the chair. 

The two Romaine plants are still in the plastic bag from Saturday. Someone, please remind me to plant them on Tuesday. 

I'm almost caught up on folding laundry. It's been two weeks or more since I have seen the bottom of the laundry basket. 

The Savoy Cabbage needs tending so I will stop. Can you tell any difference in Savoy Cabbage and regular green cabbage? I ate some raw, and it tastes the same, so it will probably taste the same cooked. 

15 comments:

  1. Don't recall ever having Savoy cabbage. I imagine it would taste great.
    It is a very rainy day here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like cabbage, you will like it. It is just strange looking.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it's pretty impressive how things NEVER seem to get put away unless I do it myself. And I am never pleased about it! :^(

    I think Savoy has a more delicate taste than regular cabbage. But maybe that's just me. I've never had Savoy cooked (I use it raw in cold salads) so I don't know the flavor. But experimenting is always fun! :^)

    Lately I have been eating halved cherry tomatoes, cukes, celery, and onion as a salad dressed with Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette. Oh, my--so good! I'm going to make another batch today.

    Hey, Linda! Linda? LINDA!!!!!! Plant your romaine plants! :^D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Delicate and tender is how I would describe the taste, too. I tasted it raw and cooked. I wonder how it would work in slaw.

      I am going to have grape tomatoes and zucchini as a salad.

      Freezing all this cooked cabbage is going to be a gigantic chore today, so I may eat a hefty amount.

      Okay, okay!

      Delete
  3. I use Savoy cabbage in stir fry meals occasionally, but it is much pricier than regular cabbage so it is a very infrequent purchase here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I suppose I see it and just get the cabbage I always get. I can see why it is pricier.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Kim,
      I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I am getting up now. Be right back.

      Delete
    2. Kim,
      Okay. I went right out and planted it! It took only about three minutes. Tommy took water out of the house since that is easier than going to the yard. But, he thinks a quart of water in a dry pot of dirt with thirsty plants is enough! But, they are planted, so I need to go water, too! grrr

      Delete
  5. There are so many different varieties of cabbage, we enjoy savoy cabbage
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2016/02/savoy-cabbage-classic-vegetable.html

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks for the site. I will read it. So, now I like Savoy.

      Delete
    2. Ooh, the site mentions using Savoy leaves as wraps. I never thought of that! I bet chicken or tuna salad would be really good in a Savoy cabbage leaf wrap...

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      It would be good as a tuna wrap, I bet!

      Delete
  6. Yes I can tell the difference between what I grew up with as cabbage and the savoy. I like savoy in stir fried dishes and other cabbage for everything else. I can also tell the difference in taste and texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Well, this is the first I have had, but the taste and texture are so close, both are delicious. The sight is the largest difference.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...