Monday, April 18, 2022

Did You Know?

Easter meal was delicious! We ended up with pork loin, potato salads, deviled eggs, cole slaw. I forgot the green beans, tomato. I was exhausted when it was all done because I waited until Sunday to make the potato salad. That was a lot of chopping. 

Tommy's bowl of potato salad was yellow-orange from all the mustard. He really helped me a lot with cooking. He brought things to me to chop and took potatoes back and put in the pot, salted it, took away potato peelings, brought celery, brought the onion. He washed two large bowls I needed for the potato salad. Well after eating, he washed the pot in which I cooked cabbage and the huge one where I boiled potatoes. 

Sweets: I bought Tommy a gold-covered Lindt Easter bunny that was in a little train. He shared it with me. I didn't even get the Jello dishes made, either. Those can be made another day. I decided to forego Easter candy this year. I miss it. 

Have you ever used celery to get the onion smell from your hands? It works. I took the end of one of the stalks and rubbed it on both hands. Then, I took a wilted top and rolled it between my hands almost like I was using the leaves to wash my palms. Tommy did not know why, but I asked him if he could smell onions on my hands. He said that my hands smelled like celery. Now, 15 minutes later, the celery smell is gone too, all without washing my hands. Did you know celery removes the stink of onions or garlic from your hands?

Shopping hint: While I am perfectly capable of using food coloring and vinegar to dye eggs, I have bought the dying kit on sale after Easter. One year, I bought 6 or so after Easter for ten cents each. I sent one to my daughter and used the others in subsequent years. I stored them where I kept the plastic wrap because I came home and put them there to keep them off the counter. There they stayed. I did give one to a friend with 6 children. At any rate, you might be able to get the kit cheaply for use next year.

I suppose this is the first year ever in the last 75 or so years that I did not have colored eggs for Easter. Sometimes, I have made Jello eggs and put them on a bed of green lettuce on the table. That did not happen, either. I am okay with that. 

While I was chopping celery, I chopped the whole head of celery. I saved back a bit from the potato salad to use in tuna salad or something else this week. While I was chopping, I should have chopped the last four of the free red onions. 

Even though it was cloudy all day before Easter, about 6 pm, the sun shone through the clouds and the clouds lessened. Then, on Sunday, the day was sunny and warm, but Sunday night, thunderworms developed. All in all, I was disappointed with the wet grass for children to hunt eggs, but it was not stormy all day like I expected. 

I cannot believe my oldest child turned 54 on Saturday! And his son will turn 16 this week. I now send gifts as egift cards from Amazon. 

How was your Easter?

16 comments:

  1. Easter was quiet here. Sunny yet windy.
    I use a stainless steel butter knife to remove onion smell. Anything stainless will work. Never heard of the celery trick. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      It was quiet here, too. I remember that about the stainless steel now that you mention it. Since we are drowning in plastic, the celery was right in front of me, I opted for celery...lol.

      Delete
  2. Your food and meal sounds delicious. I had zero ambition to spend any time in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I have lost ambition to cook for a few days. Thankfully, there are leftovers!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a nice Easter. Do your kids visit or you visit them for any holidays or birthdays? You've mentioned they live far away. It's nice you celebrate your grandsons burgers even if apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I always send something to grandchildren.

      Delete
    2. Birthday not burgers. What an auto spell.

      Delete
    3. SAM,
      I laughed and understood what you meant and what happened.

      Delete
  4. Ours was lovely but I am exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did nothing celebratory, but it was just the two of us and neither of us cared about having a traditional Easter dinner. It was still a good day and like you said, the weather report was seriously off (in a good way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Ours certainly was not traditional Easter. But, I was determined to have potato salad. And, the pork loin was accidentally thawed!

      Delete
  6. Last time I read your post about tuna salad, I decided to make some. So I bought tuna but I forgot mayonnaise. One day I'll have all the ingredients!

    You and Tommy sound like a good team and I'm glad you had a nice time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Yes, getting all the ingredients at one time really helps. Hope you enjoy it. Remember, I do not use mayo. I use Miracle Whip. However, some people use mayo instead. You may be one of those.
      Thanks. I was thrilled to have potato salad since it has been so long!

      Delete
  7. Your dinner sounds delicious! Tommy's potato salad sounds right up my alley--I love it with lots of mustard.

    I did not know that celery takes away the smell of onions. I don't have much left over to rub over my hands, as I save the leaves for stock. The stainless steel trick has never worked for me. I have to use dish soap to get rid of onions/garlic.

    Our Easter was pleasant and quiet. For brunch, my husband made a baked French toast casserole with a sprinkling of blueberries. Some of us had egg sandwiches.

    For dinner, my daughter made a chicken dish (nobody but me likes baked ham) and Japanese milk bread rolls, and I made the sides of asparagus, sugar snaps, and orange glazed carrots. It was not a standard Easter dinner, but it was good! I enjoyed my diet lime jello with canned pears; DH had cherry pie, kids made ice cream sundaes

    The Easter Bunny did make an appearance, but left all his goodies in a glass compote lined with green paper grass, instead of any Easter baskets. Many eggs were consumed with breakfast, but none were dyed.

    The weather was cool but nice. It was a good day all around! Sounds like yours was, too. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Your food on Easter sounds delicious. We had little because I could not do more. The casserole sounds scrumptious. The Easter bunny did well. A bowl full of candy works for me.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...