Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Too Much Chopping

 After hours, it seems, of slicing, chopping, and dicing, Monday my hands hurt and were stiff. That effort was focused on one dish--potato salad. Somehow, typing does not hurt me at all since I use a light touch on the keys. But, my hands and fingers feel clumsy. What is this? Old age? Guess so. sigh

For lunch I had potato salad and a chicken tender. Then, for dessert I had potato salad. I have not made potato salad in years. I have had it at dinners, but it was never mine, so not so tasty. It seems Tommy not liking potato salad has caused me not to make it. No More! I will make and dip his out before eggs and Miracle Whip are added. Another thing--the relishes are not as good in potato salad as gherkins and dill chips diced. 

The hummingbird feeder is out. I have procrastinated since there were storms when I wanted to put it out. I noticed my neighbor down the street left hers out all winter and now she has taken them in to wash. Who has their hummingbird feeder out yet? Have you had a hummingbird yet?

My whole body hurts, not just my hands! All this celebrating is rough. I have a clothes basket of dishtowels and dishcloths to fold, so that is my big ambition for today. I need to start working again on the table to my left. I can see the surface of the table due to other days of decluttering, so this should be easy. Do you ever work on layers when decluttering flat surfaces? It is like an archaeological dig. 

We watch Jeopardy every day. Right now, it is on and it pains me to watch Ken Jennings. I don't like him. He is not funny as he thinks he is and insults the intelligence of players. I am shocked at things he says. However, I love the game. But, there is one category I just cannot answer. It is the type question where two answers are smushed together. Forgot the name of it, but I am baffled most of the time. It is not that I don't know the answers that are smushed together, I just don't know it is happening and usually end up with both answers, wondering  what is the correct answer to the question. 

Tuesday now. The new neighbors have TWO dogs that bark too much. More on that later.

10 comments:

  1. I feel your pain I have 4 loads of laundry to fold and so much ironing of linen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those clothes still are not folded. I ran into a snag.

      Delete
  2. The only surface in my house that ever gets out of control is the kitchen table if I am working on a project. But I have never had layers of items on it. Though right now I do have four jars of water color pencils on it because earlier I was working on a drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      No piece of paper upon another, EVER? I am impressed.

      Delete
  3. No hummingbird feeder here for a few more weeks. I am anxious to see those little flying jewels again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love potato salad too! I hate all the chopping. I do it in stages. Chop one item, put it in a container and have a rest. I do this all day long and it seems to make the process easier. I also boil my potatoes first, whole, then peel and chop them. I tend to do that with a lot of things, then I don't get overwhelmed.

    I stopped cooking when my husband passed and my son married. I finally thought I don't have to go with out my favorite things. I learned to make small batches. I also agree that relish is not a good substitute in potato salad.

    As far as the new neighbors dogs. They are going to bark because they are in a new environment. They have to get settled just like humans. They will learn the sounds, come and goings of their new home and should quiet down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I srt of did that, chopped in stages. But, I did dice the potatoes before cooking because that is how I do it. Maybe I can remember to boil first and chop later. It would be easier! Maybe I did not rest long enough between each step.

      The way I have made things easier as I age is that I don't make so many dishes. I did just use one egg to make two deviled eggs. He hates them.

      I will write about the dogs tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. I am like you, Linda. If I like something but the rest of the fam doesn't, it rarely gets made. But why shouldn't we enjoy the foods we do? Although I'm sorry to hear that your hands hurt so much because of making it. I do think it would be easier dicing the potatoes after they are boiled, rather than before.

    I have not put my hummingbird feeder out yet, but I did buy baskets of hanging flowers. I hang both feeder and flower from the same double-hook shepherd's crook. The flowers are to entice them in. I only had 2 nesting pairs last year and the year before. I don't know why I don't get any more. My MIL in Maine would hang up 3 feeders and have dozens and dozens of them!

    All of which is to say I need to get my feeders out of storage and set them out. No excuses, now that I have the flower baskets!

    Oh, and it's also time to put out oranges and grape jelly for my Baltimore Orioles! My goodness, how could I forget them? Again, I only seem to have had 2 nesting pair last year, but they were gorgeous and wonderful to see.

    I know EXACTLY which category on Jeopardy you are talking about! Me and DH also enjoy watching, and that category just leaves us in the dust, mouths hanging open. We are still trying to sort the question out and the contestants have already answered. We are not that slow for other categories.

    I actually like Ken Jennings quite a bit--more than any of the other possible candidates (LeVar Burton was WAY too intense and serious!) Ken does come off a bit high-handed sometimes, but so did Alex Trebek, who often corrected wrong answers in a "You're an idiot for not knowing that" tone. I also like Mayim Bialek; she is cheerful and upbeat. Although she desperately needs a stylist who can dress her in more current fashions. Some of those blazers of hers are ancient and super dowdy.

    Hmm. Ken could also use a stylist, come to think of it.

    Clutter on flat surfaces is my nemesis. Ugh. You do not even want to know what my kitchen table looks like right now. Guess I should finish my coffee and tackle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Some days, I just feel like cooking and telling him to eat it or go hungry! But, I cater to him. ugh. I did have my fill of potato salad.

      I am going to see if I get orioles around here. They sound like fun. The rest of the feeders need to be washed and ready for hummingbirds since I only put one out until I see they are back. Then, I rush to get the other feeders in place.

      I am glad to know someone else is stumped on the whole category. It is frustrating.

      At least Trebek corrected people without a mocking grin. Bialek is woefully out of date. Although finally, she looks like she got a stylist. Mostly, nothing fits. Jennings depresses me!

      Guess what hurts my hand now--picking up a piece of paper!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...