Thursday, April 14, 2022

Eggs, Storms, Nothing Much

 Wednesday, the plan was to go to Cullman. However, the weather report sounded like rain. It did not rain. I was bummed that we did not go as I had somewhere I needed to go, time and date bound. 

Since I had gotten almost seven hours sleep, I was okay for the day and had nothing to do and everything to do. so, we bought eggs and butter, so I tackled eggs and butter we had just bought.  At the store I had to stand and sort through the eggs and pull out broken or cracked eggs. I was hoping I had gotten all whole eggs. 

In the store the cartons were ready to collapse, very weak and flimsy. At home, when I looked at the eggs they were all sweating profusely, something odd for eggs fresh from a cooler and carried home in an insulated bag. An insulated bag was the only bag I had in the car. 

There were a dozen eggs in my refrigerator left in a carton of 18 and another carton ready to recycle that held 18 also. So, I put 6 eggs in a bowl to scramble later and six in a bowl in the refrigerator to boil later today. The six eggs are scrambled and half have been eaten and the other half in the refrigerator for tomorrow morning. The six eggs are boiling as I type. The other new three dozen are in the two styrofoam egg cartons from Publix. I really prefer the cardboard cartons, but these Styrofoam ones were what I had. 

The damp, limp egg cartons were put on the counter for a few hours. Now, they are dry and sturdy. Somehow, those cartons were stored in a damp place. Storing eggs in cartons in a dry place keeps the cartons from collapsing. At the store, I could tell the cartons on the bottom were collapsing and wondered why. Now, I know and wonder why the cartons were damp and limp. Aldi did not store the eggs correctly!

The six boiled eggs are waiting for potato salad. And, the remaining 3 scrambled eggs will be my breakfast this morning, Thursday. We need to cook meat today, chicken breasts, chicken legs, and some ground beef.  I may go ahead and cook the pork loin, too. And, I need to color my hair since I did not last week. Maybe I will make the Jello dish.

Wednesday, we could have gone to Cullman as there was no rain. Wednesday late, the map showed lots of red areas. We did not have high winds or storms right here. The storms dissipated as they approached us. For the last few weeks, we have had storms, rain, and tornadoes every Tuesday/Wednesday. 

The neighbors are moving in next door, so there are all the attendant moving noises. I have only had glimpses of the woman but no sightings of the four children or a husband. Of course, I have to go out on the porch to see the house next door. 

The first hummingbird feeder is ready to hang.

See? Nothing much here.

10 comments:

  1. that's great you got 7 hours of sleep. It was cold here this morning - 26 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      It is like a miracle! I wish I could do that more often. The low last night was twice that temp.

      Delete
  2. I have never had a problem with Aldi eggs and I have been buying them for at least 20 years. I do think that because their cold products are stored in a big cold room behind the cooler doors that it is more damp than stacked on a shelf. Also all being stacked together on those tall shelves makes the cartons damp. I am always really careful handling them. Yesterday eggs were $1.25 a dozen at Aldi here. No way I can beat that price anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey 7 hours is wonderful. I am always grateful to get that much sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I am grateful, but it was because of extreme lack of sleep. I will take it.

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine 7 hours of sleep - how lovely.
    I am sure there is a logical explanation why the cartons were wet. I wouldn't fret about it. Eggs are fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I know! I was so happy.
      If the eggs are not fine, I will throw them out!

      Delete
  5. If I don't get enough sleep I get kind of nauseated and feel like I'm getting sick for the entire day. 8.5 hours is good. Less than 7 is very bad. I don't know how you function so well on so little sleep, Linda!

    Yesterday (Thursday) was just hellacious. I was running here, there, and everywhere.
    Took care of 2 cars that suddenly lost their A.C. Miraculously, I was able to get both cars into different shops. And if you've tried to get car maintenance, you know that they are booked out 2 weeks and more because of the damn chip shortage!
    Took DD to airport, then raced back in a thunderstorm to pick her up because flight was cancelled.
    Threw a pork shoulder in oven late in the day (because I forgot about it) and had no dinner until 8:30pm. DH & DS gave up long before that and made a Popeye's run (while I was getting DD from airport).

    I collapsed in a chair at 10:30pm and ate half a bowl of diet lime Jello with pears canned in juice only. MY it was GOOD! So refreshing! I've never had that combo before. I'm going to make another bowl today. I thought canned mandarins in orange Jello were good, but the pear/lime combo beats all!

    Good luck with all your cooking! It sounds like you are making some wonderful meals. Do you put mustard in your potato/egg salad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I feel dizzy all day, and annoyed. I need 7.5 hours. Less is not good.

      You were lucky to get cars in on a short notice like that. I am sure lots of people need ac work.

      Too bad about the flight and have to drive in it. That makes me nervous.

      Tommy eats crackers and peanut butter when I am late getting dinner. One day, I just suggested pizza. He is always up for pizza...lol. I hate lime Jello, but it does sound good and refreshing. I will make Jello and pineapple today with cool whip.

      I do put a tsp of so of mustard in the potato salad, and MW, relish, celery, boiled eggs, vinegar, sugar, and onion. I think that is all.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...