Friday, April 15, 2022

Cooking Marathon

 Thursday, at 6:15 pm, we cooked meat. I had three package of chicken tenders from Publix, a total of about 5 lbs. and a package of six huge drumsticks, also from Publix. I used garlic powder on all the chicken. I put all four packages into one cooking bag that cost 60 cents. They went into the oven. 

Garlic powder tastes nothing like garlic to me. I like both, but it is so easy to sprinkle the powder over all the chicken. Plus, there is no salt. I never use garlic salt. Garlic is delicious. By using garlic initially, we can put any kind of spin on the cooked chicken.

Then, I put the pork loin, a small one, into the crockpot. I had left it frozen solid on the counter in front of the microwave which is next to the freezer. I use this bit of space to place things as I work things into the crowded freezer space. Well, four hours later it was sitting there still, limp and fully thawed. So, two days later I am cooking it. No, I don't think it spoiled. Tommy sees how dark it is in the kitchen although he swears he can see just fine. grr. So, he got the crockpot on high. Oh, I washed the teriyaki flavor off, so we can eat it. There is enough flavor left. It is in the freezer for Easter. 

While I was unpackaging the chicken, He cooked and chopped 1.75 lbs. of ground beef. Lots of it will go into two packages for the freezer since he is done. 

The rest of the ground beef will be made into a meatloaf and cooked after the chicken comes out of the oven.  Okay, meatloaf done and in two packages in the freezer. I did not have bell pepper, so I will somehow get it incorporated into the meatloaf later.

This makes over 30 helpings of proteins for meals from what we prepared in thirty minutes. His help is immeasurable! 

Now, for the vegetable front. I sit in my chair and put the month and year on top and front of cans so I will know which to eat first, not when they will kill me. After I got up from a long nap Thursday, Tommy told me what he found. There was a can of black beans under the edge of my chair. It was crushed almost in half! That can will be eaten in the next few days unless I find it was crushed and opened. I cannot believe I did that. 

Tommy asked what we will have of those meats for dinner. I told him--your choice. So, he chose chicken and a salad. I know I will have chicken and tomato, not sure what else. 

At this point, I still need to make the meatloaf. Okay, meatloaf done. I used one of the cheap cans of tomato paste. I might use a smidgen of catsup on top. I had no bell pepper, so I will cook it without bell pepper, find or buy some before we eat it and poke little pieces into the done meatloaf. We both love bell pepper in meatloaf. I used the last tablespoon of catsup in the bottle for the top of the meatloaf. 

Oh, and I finally made the hummingbird food! 

While I napped, he washed the rugs from the bathroom and hung them on the ramp railing to dry. I asked or he would never have done it. 

Friday morning

I had saved the juice from the crockpot pork loin. I used it with water to cook navy beans. Plus, I shredded the cabbage for slaw. It will be a coarse slaw since I cannot use the grater like I did before hand injuries.  I may use some of the cut cabbage for colcannon or for soup, and will definitely freeze some. 

That cooking marathon was fun but tiring. Do you having cooking marathons? 



15 comments:

  1. You guys accomplished a lot - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have them all the time. If you are going to make a mess make a big one and get it over with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your cooking talk is making me so hungry. Using the pork loin juices for the navy beans was genius! I never would have thought to do that.

    Linda, try McCormick's Roasted Garlic powder instead of just regular. It has a deeper garlicky flavor (and smells heavenly). I also use onion powder along with the garlic, because I love the allium flavor profile.

    I wish I could buy shallot powder as well. I wonder why it's not a thing?

    I'm surprised that your chair didn't react to the can underneath. Don't they have emergency stops if they detect resistance? Like a garage door? That can could have been Tommy's foot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I will get some of the McCormick's. It sounds delicious.

      The juice was there and seemed like a good pairing in order to use the heavenly flavor. I do use onion powder sometimes.

      It could have been a child! But, no emergency stop. Tommy would have to lie down and scoot to get a foot under there. He uses a reacher to get things as he cannot get near for the tables.

      Delete
  4. PS: I like Heinz' chili sauce on my meatloaf. It tastes rather like cocktail sauce with horseradish. Gives the loaf a nice little zip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Tommy accomplished a ton! Great job! I haven't had a chance recently to do any marathon cooking. I do good to cook one meal a night and usually that is rushed to our schedules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      With three children and both parents working, I know it must be very difficult. I did not work and three children were hard with their schedules. You seem to do a very good job.

      Delete
  6. I love to have a marathon cook day. I do proteins, vegetables, breads and desserts. I even cook bacon and sausage, put it in the freezer, I can just pull out a couple of slices or patties when I want it. I make english muffin bread recipe that makes three loaves. They freeze very well. I know you and Tommy have to be careful on the breads and sweets. I make brownies, pies and cobblers that I freeze in serving size. Then if I want a dessert it is right there. I also love bell pepper in meatloaf. I buy them on sale and then chop and freeze with onions. You can use that in so many recipes. I prefer fresh but when you live alone I had to adapt to avoid waste.

    It is so good when two people can work together to create a comfortable home, share cooking and cleaning. Both of you would not be as happy or comfortable without the other. To know someone is there if you get sick, have an emergency is priceless. Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I love cooking this way. Today, is vegetable marathon day...maybe. I would eat just as well. And, I sent food home to him. But, he did not have it at every meal like he does now.

      Delete
    2. Trxas,
      You must not read much of this blog if you think he works to make this house comfortable or clean. Things are falling apart and filthy and he does not care and I cannot fix it.

      Delete
  7. We live by Cooking and canning marathons. I love having cooked foods on my pantry shelf in jars that are ready to use with thawing. We did 22 jars of chicken breast on Tuesday. Kind of feels like money in the bank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      That is a lot of chicken! It is even better if is on sale. Good job! Money in the bank is how I feel, too.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...