Monday, April 25, 2022

Sorting Hat

We need a sorting hat here. I mentioned to Tommy some sorting I wished he would do. Well, he is deep into it. The only food bank I go to has choices. I always choose tea, instant oatmeal packets, or hot chocolate packets. Well, last time they had all three, not just the usual one item. So, I chose all three. I never drink hot tea, may have instant oatmeal once every six months, and most often will drink hot chocolate every six weeks. 

Some of it goes into a cabinet near his coffeemaker, a place I never go. So, because it is dark in the cabinet and not enough light still in the kitchen, I have no idea and do not care what is in there. However, I will drink hot chocolate occasionally. So, that might be an important place to look since he may have put hot chocolate mix there. 

Today, I mentioned I would like him to get all three of the items together so we would know what was there and where it was located. We could then make an attempt to use the oldest items first. Well, he went straight to the hoard of tiny packets and has it all sorted. I wanted him to wait until I found containers for each of the items. So, in a rush I decided the basket that strawberries came in would be excellent for each item. Then, I saw one from last year. I figure there is no use buying bins when I get them with strawberries. 

He has it all sorted and now the little table in the kitchen is more tidy. And, I know what is here and so does he. There is so much hot chocolate that I may store most of it in the freezer. The table is where we keep bread and the pb crackers. 

I love tidy! There is still more to tidy but that is enough for one day. 

There is no sorting hat here, but today I had Tommy. He can stand longer than I. 

It is already 5:30 pm, but my plans are for another meat cooking marathon. I always fight to keep meat from thawing all over the refrigerator. Finally, I used a small cookie sheet which worked. Now, I am using a plastic box with lid to keep juices contained. It has 3" sides. We put the meat in a plastic bag so it won't slide off the package underneath and onto refrigerator shelf. Of course, there is no need for the lid, but it could serve as another barrier under meat.

No, not cooking meats tonight since I just don't feel like it. We are having a jar of spaghetti with added stuff and some frozen ground beef along with a salad. 

While in the kitchen I found two large bottles of virgin olive oil I bought bogo two weeks ago. I should have put that in the freezer, but I didn't feel like doing it. So, it is resting in the refrigerator. 

Today, I have not felt well because of little sleep Sunday night and failed nap attempt on Monday. But, the sorting we have accomplished and the cooking will make this not a complete day with no accomplishments.  Okay, for the last few hours I have felt more ill by the minute. I will call the doctor in the morning. At midnight, I feel worse than I have in months. 

So, our sorting happens on a small scale and for short lengths of time, but it happens. Do you do small sorts and small jobs of decluttering? Or, do you go for whole space or room sorting? 


16 comments:

  1. I do everything on a small scale and rest in between. I still get something done but I am not worn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      Small scale is the key to everything when a person is older! I am worn out when I start and the end result is tragic!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could sort things on a large scale but I get distracted by other tasks generated from the sort. Small scale sorts seem to work better with my "ADD" nature. I swear that having children has really done a number on my brain and I've lost the ability to focus. When you are interrupted every other minute (for so many years!) by children needing something, it's understandable that your brain starts to rewire itself and actually anticipates interruption. Sigh.

    I think it was very clever to get Tommy involved in the sorting! I like how you reused strawberry baskets for the packets, rather than trying to buy new containers. Tidiness at no expense is a double win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a plus that we can stop and start endlessly...lol. With children one has to just expect interruption. My need for small projects is based on the fact I cannot stand long enough to get much done. And, then I have fibro and chronic fatigue syndrome.

      It is funny because he has let things go for so long. But, given a task, he gets it done. Really I tell him I need for him to do something. I don't just assign a task or tell him. And, ask if he can do it sometime.

      Delete
  3. PS: I'm sorry you feel illness coming on--hope it's nothing serious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I am really ill now. But, it is my chest.

      Delete
    2. Gosh I hope you get to see the doctor quickly. Take care and don't overdo it!

      Delete
    3. Treaders,
      I don't have the energy to overdo anything. I decided this is allergy induced since my chest is full and head and ears. So, probably not uti, so not going to doctor. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. great idea to reuse the strawberry basket. I don't drink hot chocolate often but do keep a box of the packets on hand, same with tea packets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to get plastic or throw it out. I should carry my woven basket and trade the strawberries into it. A cup of hot chocolate can cut out a craving for more calories.

      Delete
  5. I prefer small jobs too! Big jobs often overwhelm me and sometimes I just won't finish them.... effectively making them small jobs haha! Glad you were so productive & had Tommy help you. Also, what in the world is a Sorting Hat?!? And do I need one? LOL Sorry you aren't feeling well again, sure hope you are on the mend soon! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Sorting Hat is what determined what house students were assigned to in Hogwart--Harry Potter movies. You must not be a fan of Harry Potter books and movies.

      Delete
    2. Haha! I thought I was missing out on some kind of an organizing tool or something LOL I wouldn't say I'm not a fan necessarily, I've just never read the books or watched the movies.

      Delete
    3. Bri,
      Wouldn't it be a nice tool. I love the books and went to movies only after I read the books and because someone wanted company.

      Delete
  6. I can't do big declutter or cleaning jobs anymore like I used to when I was younger. I try and do a bit each day and eventually I get there. I hope you're feeling a bit better today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little each day is ideal, but it seems I don't get there. Not a bit better!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...